iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sobon shed p.100

Started by Alexis, February 16, 2011, 03:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexis

Hi,

I am ready to cut the steplapped rafter seat on my plate. There seems to be a mistake in the frame drawing on page 100. It says that the rafter are 2ft o.c. and they are flush with the outside of the frame but when I add it up, the frame would be 16ft 4" since the rafter are 4X6...

thanks for your input

Alexis

Jim_Rogers

Alexis:

When you create this rafter to plate joint, it is done this way so that the roof decking will sit flush with the top edge of the plate, and not have any large gap between the two.

The joint is called a "step lap rafter seat" in the plate, and a "step lap rafter tail" on the rafter.

It is called a "lap" because the rafter laps over the plate, with the tail hanging off the side of the building to create an overhang to shed rain water from the roof. It is called a "step" as the joint looks like a stair step.

The amount it laps over usually matches the amount of the step, so that it makes it easy to cut and easy to layout on the plate, as well as the rafter.

I have created a short video to show you the frame in a drawing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri7RoHmaZoA
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Alexis

I don't know If my question is clear...

what's bugging me is the spacing between the stepped lap seat on the plate. If my first seat is flush with one side ( for example north) and the you have a rafter seat 2ft o.c. on the plate, you add 8 times 2ft but that is the distance between the center of the first seat and the center of the last seat. You then have to add 2" on each end to find the total lenght of the plate wich add to 16ft and 4"...

If it's still not clear, I will draw something... if only I could write in french :-)

Alexis

Jim_Rogers

The shed plate is 16' long. Make the end rafter seats flush with the ends. All others are 2' on center.

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Alexis

Thanks Jim, you answered my question...

So the rafter are 2 ft o.c. exept the end ones...

thanks again

Alexis

Thank You Sponsors!