iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bar and chain oil scientific breakdown

Started by woodroe, January 07, 2024, 02:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

My wife says I'm a little too sensitive sometimes🤦😂 Nah, no offense taken- I just want to make clear I'm not suggesting used motor oil in your chainsaw is a good idea. Nasty stuff!
Too many irons in the fire

HolmenTree

It's been a while since I posted here, forum looks great with this new format. Is it Meta based?
On the subject of bar oil operating in a warm climate there is a trend with a few operators running water mixed with 5% eco friendly oil added. Water cools and  evaporates still leaving  a oil layer between the two metal surfaces. Vicosity is easier on the pump efficiency but needs to be adjusted at a lower setting  to prevent running dry before fuel does.
Works equally well on milling gravity fed auxiliary oilers. Vibration and movement from both chainsaw and auxiliary oilers keeps the mixture from separating.
Something to think about.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

rusticretreater

Can't argue with that guy.  He spends a lot of time and money on making these videos.  Great service to all of us.

I do notice how much dirtier my saw is when I use the cheaper oil as it flows out more.  I will ruminate on the info provided.  As another post noted, what oil and from where and is the oil quality consistent?  

While he was pointing out USA stuff, I saw some of the descriptions also stated foreign components in the makeup of the oils - whatever that means.

Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Ianab

On the subject of used motor oil, you may find some of the cheaper brands are "re-refined" used oil. Problem with used engine oil is that it's contaminated, with who knows what. But it's still 98% oil. If it's treated as "crude oil", run through a filter and basic refining process, the oil can be recovered. What it's SAE rating will be is any ones guess, but that's not so critical. Viscosity can be adjusted with additives and tackifier added, and it's now an OK bar oil.  

Now considering that waste engine oil is actually a problem to dispose of, the oil processor is probably getting it for nothing. Clean it up and re-sell it, win - win. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!