iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

all new tree felling technique!!!

Started by bighoss550, October 11, 2004, 07:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bighoss550

i got my saw back today and started the thinning process in an EXTREMELY  thick spruce stand. so thick in fact, that the tres dont move after the notch and full backcut!!
what to do??
what to do??
after tryin on 3 different trees in far apart sections, i was ticked off!!! i havent had my saw for 2 weeks and now i cant even get the pleasure of watching it hit the ground!!  >:(

sooooo......i notice the branches(very thick) on the bole are pretty sturdy, and up i go:D
they start to move at about 10 ft up, and u gotta get about 15ft before they start over:) hahaha

kinda trickey to get em far enuf over so they keep goin and still get out from under em:D

i know a winch on a skider would be the equipment of choice here, but i aint got one......
climbed 6 and that was enuf for one day:)

sprucebunny

How big are the trees ??!!! I need to do the same kind of thinning but already realized that they won't fall down. Thought I'd tie a rope or sumpin to my 4wheeler....
Your way sounds exciting...maybe too exciting :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

bighoss550

these are maybe 12"dbh trees, but they are forever high!!!

it is a bit exciting:D

hillbilly

8) Sounds like a lot of fun.Or a real headache .I know a local logger/blocker that just recently bought a tract of pine to thin out ,it sounds just like what your doing. He siad that he would cut abunch of them that where close together then tie or hook a chain around them and pull away with his ole trusty one ton ford.But your way does sound alittle more fun. ;D                                          
                  hillbilly

Cedarman

I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Woodhog

sooooo......i notice the branches(very thick) on the bole are pretty sturdy, and up i go
they start to move at about 10 ft up, and u gotta get about 15ft before they start over hahaha  

Wow Hoss, sounds like the best machinery for your method of felling might be an ambulance...

No, you will have to get a 4 wheeler, or a tractor or some knid
of a winch before your luck runs out....

I do this type of work continuously with a  tractor and a winch.

A lot of the trees should be able to be felled to the ground if you get a bit of a plan going, the others you have to pull them
down when you are well clear, one of problems is to get them clear of the stump when cutting without the tree lodging behind the stump on the wrong side, then you have to get
a good strong properly rated snatch block system set up to
pull in directions opposite the winch pull...I use the snatch block a lot....

Its not the safest way to cut, when they dont fall to the ground.

Also cut one , pull one, cut one pull one.. dont leave anymore
than one hung up at a time, if you dont you will forget and
end up with one on your head.... :-[

Dont climb up any more trees....... :D

rebocardo

A ten inch pine forty feet tall is probably pushing 1500+ pounds.

Landing on your head from a six foot drop is enough to break your neck or kill you.

I think I would use a come-along and block to pull the trees down.

MemphisLogger

What about doin' 'em like dominoes?

:D
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Fla._Deadheader

Is anyone video taping this operation???  I bet it would make big money on "Real TV".

Just yesterday, I watched, for the 4th time, the guy that bulldozed the tile silo down around his ears. ::) ::) That was dangerous, but it WAS histerical :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Oldtimer

Lucky me, I use my 15,000 pound green wedge to topple stubborn trees.  Some of the things I read in here sure make me chuckle. :D
My favorite things are 2 stroke powered....

My husky 372 and my '04 F-7 EFI....

IndyIan

I vote for the ATV method, I just hook a chain around the bottom and pull it out from under the tree or use the winch and pull it down.  
Ian

bitternut

Why can't you just do a hack and squirt on the ones that need to be culled. That way you won't have to cut them and they will eventually just fall apart without doing any damage to the other trees that remain. Would be a lot safer too.

bighoss550

the fun dissapeared after the 3rd one thats why i quit. i will use the 310D case crawler i have to get the rest:) i really didnt think they would be that hard to bring down so i gave it a solo shot, and i just figured all you guys might as well get a laugh on me, along with my dad and a few others:)

SwampDonkey

bighoss:

Was your stand of spruce an old plantation? OR wild growth? Must be quite limby to be able to climb up like that. I got some 30 inchers behind the house, but their all full of butt rot, cause the old man decided to limb them 25 years ago. Limbing spruce you want to continue to grow is a no no. But anyway, use directional felling to your advantage in herring bone fashin along your extraction trails. There must be some natural holes to tip some of them bruits into. Never seen spruce so thick I couldn't fall, cause they are heavy beasts. Balsam fir is even heavier, but can grow thicker because they tolerate shade more. But fir limbs are not as stiff or as large either. Take care and do the job right before luck turns against you. Notice I wasn't laughin? ;)

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bighoss550

they are def a Christmas tree plantation. perfect rows a couple feet apart, and the trees are even closer. its the brushy millions of dead limbs that are all intertwined between trees that make it hard. there really arent any holes except the ones i just made, and i dont want to hurt the other trees. im takin out maybe 25-40 trees that are all the same size(not the bigguns) from each stand (there are 2). this way, i can build a cabin. and the big ones will get bigger so i can do it again someday.

so im gonna finish fixin the slave cyl in the winch on the crawler today so it can just sit in the field and pull the trees out nice and neat:)
and no, im trying not to limb any of the res stand.....TRYING. but u almostgotta crawl on ur knees to get through. i find it amazing that a 50ft tall tree can grow with only maybe 5sq ft of sunlight???

Timber_Framer

Ya ever notice that some of the most fun things in life are considered dnagerous? :D
Sky diving, bungy jumping and now spruce ridin!
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

redpowerd

id be more afraid of them rolling as you climed, the allways roll in the direction that they fall!!

just get them all hanging and knock a big oak down on em.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Corley5

Reminds me of a Robert Frost poem ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!