iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Aid Kit while out in the woods (hobbyist)

Started by BarnSmokeStudio, March 05, 2024, 02:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DDW_OR

Quote from: Ianab on March 26, 2024, 02:00:53 AM
Quote from: thecfarm on March 05, 2024, 06:23:45 PMcellphone.
That is really the only reason I have one, so I can call the wife if I get hurt.
If you are in a poor cell coverage area, there are also Personal Locator Beacons. Trigger it and it sends a signal to a satellite with your location. No other info, it's just an SOS with your location. They don't know if your boat is sinking, your plane has crashed, our you have simply broken your leg, but someone will come and investigate, usually in a helicopter.

If you have cellphone coverage, then that's going to be cheaper. Suggestion for boaties is to put the phone in a zip lock plastic bag. That way it doesn't get wet when you abandon ship or full of dust when you are sawing. So you could bag a flip phone, and put that in a pouch on your belt. Personally I use a smartphone, because it has the camera, GPS, Forum access etc. There are "rugged" phones, look up the CAT ones. They are bulky and not cheap, but you can drop them in the mud and they still work.

my friend was an outfitter in the Bob Marshall Wilderness

he had one of those Beacons he used it when one of his clients broke his leg
it allowed him to send a very short text. the helicopter was there in 2 hours
"let the machines do the work"

Ron Scott

Yes, take the specific Red Cross or comparable Agency certification First Aid course appropriate to logger and woods worker injuries. Courses can be geared to the injuries most applicable and encountered by the specific clientele's needs.

Caring for a chain saw cut can require more specific training over other types of cuts. One hopes that they never have to use their training.
~Ron

Ron Scott

The locator beacons are a great safety item. Back country skiers, especially when in avalanche country, and many scuba divers make regular use of them. 
~Ron

DDW_OR

two key safety measures

1. don't work alone

2. let two people know where you are working, and let them know if your plans change.
 and when you are back safe
"let the machines do the work"

Ianab

Quote from: Ron Scott on March 26, 2024, 07:09:56 PMThe locator beacons are a great safety item. Back country skiers, especially when in avalanche country, and many scuba divers make regular use of them.
The Police / SAR guys love them. Instead of having to look for someone that's been missing for 2 days, and might be someplace in 50 sq miles, they can put a pin in a map and send a chopper to the spot. NZ isn't a huge place, but there is plenty of rugged terrain to get lost or hurt in, and the forest cover is generally very dense. People still get lost and are never found, or only found by chance, sometimes  years later. There was an air force training plane that crashed in WW2, and was only found in the 80s. It was only about 4 miles from our house, but had basically been swallowed by the rain forest. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!