iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-Mizer Accurate cuts.

Started by richhiway, June 13, 2020, 06:03:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richhiway

Needed to trim a little off the last board. 
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Magicman

Yes Sir, that is a pretty sight.   8) 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Banjo picker

I think that's a pretty common problem for most of us.  We get everything set just right and then in the middle of the night..... the elves come and reset it.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

With the dimensions that I normally saw I can hit the dog board with the same thickness, but with oddball stuff, the customer and I make decisions as the cant is sawn.

Accuset 2 would be nice but I hope that I never have to upgrade to it.  $$$
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sixacresand

When you get that kind of consistency, you know got the right blade and everything is adjusted just right.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WV Sawmiller

Looking good but did you start on a preset mark then end up with the thick dog board? If so you may want to check your starting mark and adjust it down that fraction of an inch. The cuts all look real good. I love those electronic setworks! 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Stephen1

Perfect! Or whoops I should have started a little lower.  :D
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Stuart Caruk

That's why I like accuset. It would save that trim cut at the bottom. I used to saw cants like that to get boards until I found that it was often possible to get a defect 2 or 3 boards down that continued down the stack, and ruined most of the pile of wood. One of the things I like about sawing stationary is that I now drag back each board and send the mill on its way down the log whilst I flip the last sawn board knocking the sawdust off, send it down the rollcase and stack it on a pallet, before heading down to catch the mill, drag back the next board and repeat. It's allowed me to scan each board for defects as they are sawn and adjust on the fly if needed, knock off most of the sawdust, and ensure a higher quality product that customers keep coming back for.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

richhiway

I should make a "cheat sheet" It is easy to be off when I do it in my head.
I work alone without hydraulics so I cut the stack and then remove it with the tractor,it saves a lot of time and walking.
Not a real big deal for me to end up with a odd dog board or make the extra cut. If I end up with a thick board I just put in the "project pile" and run it through the planer when I build something. 

I would have to be more careful if I cut mobile but I only cut for myself.

The picture was to show how accurate a Wood-Mizer can cut.

Howard, rest up buddy so those fingers heal up well. We are enjoying some great weather, everyone have a good day.
Rich 
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

terrifictimbersllc

Thin trim cuts seem to often make a favorable impression on my customers.  I can tell either from their comments or them showing it to someone or saving it off with the lumber. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Stuart Caruk

Yup, Woodmizer cuts very accurately when set up properly with a decent operator, but to be fair you need to flip every second board and see if they still line up... If you are cutting slightly wavy, you won't see it in the same stack you sawed it...
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Thank You Sponsors!