iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How Saw Chain Cuts Wood

Started by Gary_C, July 01, 2008, 01:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_C

I never really knew just how saw chain actually cuts the wood until I read "The Complete Book of Saw Chain" by Carlton Company. If you want to see the entire book you can see it here:
http://www.sawchain.com/images/complete%20book.pdf

Here is the description from that book, without the pictures:

All saw chain cuts with a rocking motion. When cutting properly, saw chain
resembles a dolphin swimming in the ocean. As the cutter enters the wood, the
"leading edge" starts to bite (#1) causing the cutter to rock back
as far as the depth gauge will allow (#2). The cutter is now in the "attack
position". The cutter jumps off the guide bar and into the wood (#3).
Chain tension and power from the saw pull the cutter back out of the wood
and the severed chip exits from the underside of the cutter (#4). The cutter then
returns to its original position (#5). Any condition that upsets this smooth and efficient
rocking motion will have a negative effect on the life, performance, and cutting efficiency of any saw chain.

While I was looking at Carlton's site, I discovered they were just purchased by Blount on May 2, 2008. If you don't know, Blount already owns Oregon.  ::)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

sawguy21

They also own Windsor, Sandvik, and who knows what else.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

Now days it's hard to know the players without a score card .in a manner of speaking .

ely

blount also owns several optics companys. bushnell among others- rifle scopes and binocs and stuff

Tom

Gary C
Carlton's description of a rocking cutter head and that the cutter leaves the bar, might also answer the question in a previous thread about chainsaw chains that became flattened or developed a lip on the bottom where they rode on the bar.

leweee

Gary_C....Thanks for posting that pdf. ;D
              A true piece of Carlton history. ;)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Ianab

Thats a good link.. I've saved the PDF incase it gets lost in the corporate reshuffle.

But good stuff on how the chain actually works, what can go wrong, and how to fix it.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

johncinquo

That would explain why you have "chips" as opposed to "ribbons".  Never really put that much thought into it, as long as the roost was flying!
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

footer

Quote from: johncinquo on July 02, 2008, 04:24:50 PM
That would explain why you have "chips" as opposed to "ribbons".  Never really put that much thought into it, as long as the roost was flying!

I think the reason there are chips instead of ribbons is that you are cutting across the grain. Have you ever cut with the grain? You get so much ribbon it cannot exit the saw fast enough.

Piston

thats some good info, thanks for posting it.  i tried opening the link from "forum extras" but couldn't, i think it was just my 'puter...I'm printing it out for bedtime reading, didn't realize it was 33 pages, glad im at work using up their ink!   :D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

rebocardo

I have a file-o-plate but never used it because I did not know how. Now that I had time to finally read that PDF, now I now why even when I bring my rakers down to .25 like I should on a used chain, it is not enough.

Though I guess I need a file-o-plate for full skip since the plate I have is only good for full comp.

Al_Smith

Quote from: johncinquo on July 02, 2008, 04:24:50 PM
Generaly speaking that statement is true.However on certain species such as maple,cottonwood ,poplar ,when cut green you will pull "french fries " like a wood planer .

If you have the gullets opened up ,they have a tendency to literally roll  up a chip then spit it out about 2 -3 inches long .

Warbird

Quote from: Gary_C on July 01, 2008, 01:07:42 PM
I never really knew just how saw chain actually cuts the wood until I read "The Complete Book of Saw Chain" by Carlton Company. If you want to see the entire book you can see it here:
http://www.sawchain.com/images/complete%20book.pdf

That is very cool.  Thanks for posting it!

olyman

carlton. one of the best and most resonably priced chains ever--bought out--great!!!

Thank You Sponsors!