iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber! Silo comes down...:)

Started by weimedog, September 06, 2019, 12:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weimedog

Neighbor who bought the old barn has been taking it down bit by bit, providing lots of entertainment...:) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4RX5-mZtQM
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Ianab

Run Away.  :D

Site looks a lot like the place where I've been milling. Luckily the silos were shorter and galv steel, so a decent excavator was able to mash them into something the scrap metal guys could haul off. 

Was good to just get rid of it, but a check for $1400 turned up next month. Was some solid cast iron stuff in there.  ;)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

scsmith42

About 10 or so years ago we had a former FF member that needed a silo like that removed.  He opted to host a party and shoot it down with a .50 cal Barrett!

Looked like a lot of fun; the vide may still be in the archives somewhere.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

florida

The stupid is deep there. He was lucky to live through that. 
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Al_Smith

WV Sawmiller

I was thinking "Another candidate for a Darwin Award."
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

lxskllr

I assume the best way is to take it down from the top. If someone wanted to take it down from the bottom, and didn't have expensive equipment, how would you do it? Got me thinking. Knockout the bottom like that guy was doing, add wood supports, when you've undermined CoG, yank the supports from a distance. Reasonable?

WV Sawmiller

Use long cables and heavy equipment and pull it over. We had a fire in a metal frame warehouse in Bagram Afghanistan and that is how we took it down. It was unsafe to get in so we hooked the cables to the outside of building frame and to a couple of heavy loaders then cut the brace cables on the outside and pulled and it folded up like an accordion in the direction we wanted.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

See what happens when you cut hammer through the hinge?  Should have bore cut hammered it.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Al_Smith

On the stave concrete silos they remove part of the staves  and prop them up with heavy timbers ,fill the insides  of the silo with brush and set it a fire .Set back a couple hundred feet .Drink beer shoot the breeze and several hours later the timbers burn out and over it goes .Sounds like a plan to me .Simple things for simple people ,I like it .

Al_Smith

The funniest one I ever saw was on a grain terminal right next to the rail road tracks .It had a  grain dust explosion that rendered  one silo unsafe .So in comes this so called expert powder man and his dynamite .Blocked off a half mile in each direction, made certain no train traffic, set it  off .Boom just cracked it more .It was a slip form reinforced concrete deal made about 1952  vintage .It took a wrecking ball to finish that one and several months .--the best laid plans of mice and men ---- :D

Thank You Sponsors!