iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hemlock - can you see shakes is the wood is green

Started by BobHolliday, March 11, 2020, 09:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobHolliday

I am going to look at some rough cut hemlock lumber.  Does the wood have to be dry before shakes start to show up or can I see them even if it is green?  Thanks...

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Shake in hemlock can be easily seen when green.  Not all is easy, but most.  Look in the butt end of the butt log.  It may only go a foot up the log, or can go further.  Caused by a bacterial infection.  Oftentimes the wood, because of its higher green MC, looks very wet.  The extent of shake will worsen with drying.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

thecfarm

I have cut hemlock on my land and sawed it on my mill. Yes you can see the shake. Look for any gaps, spaces in the rings. I can see it as soon as the tree is down.
I cut in one area for a horse run in. Had no problems with shake. Went back to the same area about 5 years later and had a lot of problems with it. Sometimes I could only get the butt log out of one tree. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tacks Y

I have cut some with shake, I just start cutting a couple feet off at a time. Some times it clears up, best thing for shake is leave it in the woods. Not worth sawing.

btulloh

I think the OP is asking about checks in sawn lumber.
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!