iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White Birch dropping leaves

Started by Cord-n-8R, May 28, 2020, 04:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cord-n-8R

Hi, I have a white birch clump (3 stems) which is probably 35-40 yrs old. I'm in so. Wisconsin. Just in last few days I've been noticing it's been dropping quit a few leaves. The leaves are not yellow or brown and don't appear to be chewed off (or on :D). I've also noticed a few leaves on the tips of branches that have curled and turned brown. 
I have also had a Japanese Beetle problem the last couple years but haven't seen them yet this year.
Can anyone tell me why these leaves might be dropping?
Thanks in advance.

Southside

Did you get a late frost?  We did and it had an impact.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Cord-n-8R

We did have late frost but I can't recall if it was before or after the buds started opening.

Edit: just looked it up... Frost was probably 2 1/2 - 3 weeks ago... so, yeah probably about the time the buds/leaves were starting to open.

Bricklayer51

Got [a [maple doing the same after the winds last nite the lawn is covered with leaves

ppine

Is it a native birch or European white birch.  Birch borers commonly take out these trees before maturity.  Look for holes in the bark, and small piles of sawdust at the base. 
Forester

Thank You Sponsors!