iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood storage ideas

Started by nybhh, September 25, 2021, 09:16:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nybhh

I've had a big stack of (dried) lumber leftover from various projects taking up way too much valuable floor space in my barn the past 8-9 years.  Its a pain to try and pick through to find what I needed and to maneuver the tractor around, etc.

I finally decided to do something about it using regular old heavy-duty brackets and standards and while it works great, it ended up using a lot more brackets than I expected (I still need 16-24 more) and therefore ultimately cost more than I wanted.

I had thought about just building my own but like the flexibility of the standards and these are probably stronger than what I would have built.  The plan was to ring the whole barn with it if this worked out for my own sawn lumber also but it would cost a small fortune.

Got me wondering how other people store and organize smaller quantities of dried lumber other than in hard to manage flat stacks.

Woodmizer LT15, Kubota L3800, Stihl MS261 & 40 acres of ticks trees.

doc henderson

I have no answers, but have the same issue.  my shop wall ht. is 12 feet, and I have shelves around the perimeter that are 2 feet deep and 2 feet down from the ceiling.  these are good for boxed or bulky stuff.  I have a 3 feet tall wooden box that i stand scraps up in, but the same scraps are there for years.  I should just toss or burn.  I have a loft above what is supposed to be a paint room, with stacks of like wood, but not for the odds and ends.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

beenthere

Quote from: doc henderson on September 25, 2021, 09:29:31 AM
I have no answers, but have the same issue.  my shop wall ht. is 12 feet, and I have shelves around the perimeter that are 2 feet deep and 2 feet down from the ceiling.  these are good for boxed or bulky stuff.  I have a 3 feet tall wooden box that i stand scraps up in, but the same scraps are there for years.  I should just toss or burn.  I have a loft above what is supposed to be a paint room, with stacks of like wood, but not for the odds and ends.
Coming to that conclusion as well.. but like a lot of "collections", they are pleasant reminders of past projects and carry residual thoughts that "someday" just might find a use for something hidden there. 
On occasion, will just close my eyes and put scrap wood on the burn pile. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doc henderson

we all need a friend that does small projects.  I do not mind giving it away as much as throwing it away.  Sawdust Jimmy picks up stuff off the floor and asks if i have a use for it.  he makes segmented bowls, coasters and plaques.  he and his wife were over last night using the engraver to make gifts for members of a national women's golf sumpthin sumpthin.  he also will take a little engraving and put a walnut border around it, and back it with felt or paper and give them back to me.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

box with scraps, big enough but one offs.

barrel full of dry bench leg stock.  and a few other odds and ends.

loft above the future paint room...maybe.

saw horses with lumber on top, to go over the 20 sheets of 4 x 12 half inch sheetrock, destined for the garage walls.  with some orange underneath.

this is in part intended to make you feel better.  i do spend extra time looking for stuff, although i usually impress other with my ability to find things.  keeps me sharp like those pictures where you have to find the hidden image to keep me sharp... oh i already said that... :D :D :D.  i am a work in progress, and crank out tons of gifts and stuff, but too busy to clean and organize.  I am motivated today, as we had to cancel our campout, and it feels like a free day.  i also need to learn to say no to those who do not help me back, unless it is a gift from me to them.

nybhh

:o :o :o
Woa!  Yea, I do feel a little better haha.  
I don't normally have a problem burning scraps and have a similar bin in the shop (right next to the wood stove) i cull through for kindling but I seem to have accumulated a lot of full-length leftovers, much of it ipe and special-order stuff where I order a bit extra and always seem to have too much at the end.  I have a project in mind to use all of the ugly rejects at some point for a backwoods off-grid little camping cabin but who knows when I get to that.

Hilltop366

Quote from: doc henderson on September 25, 2021, 01:02:12 PMkeeps me sharp like those pictures where you have to find the hidden image to keep me sharp

Were's Walnut?

Old Greenhorn

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ESFted

I don't have a lot of wood, and wall space is at a premium, but I like vertical storage and prefer to be able to leaf through it to select a board without having to unload the stack. I converted my "lean it against the wall" storage to allow me to be able to easily pull out boards by using threaded pipe from the BORG.

S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

doc henderson

metalspinner

WDH,
That looks like an art gallery. Do you sit on the bench and just stare at the wood?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

nybhh

Quote from: metalspinner on September 26, 2021, 04:16:13 PM
WDH,
That looks like an art gallery. Do you sit on the bench and just stare at the wood?
No kidding!  That was my thoughts exactly.  Great ideas.  I have a lot of slabs drying that I'll probably do vertically as well.  I like that and it looks cool too.

WDH

Nowhere near as neat now ;D.  I have added some Yellowhammer style metal racks so it is not as open, but there is a heck of a lot more wood in there.  That is a purpose built insulated metal building for keeping my kiln dried lumber for sale at 8% moisture content.  

The two benches have been sold, but the wood cookie stand is still in there as I have grown attached to it :).  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!