iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just Another One of THOSE Days

Started by Corley5, October 01, 2021, 10:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

As I was about to turn into a firewood clients driveway this morning I was rear ended by a 2012 F150 4X4 pulling a fifth wheel camper and a tandem axle trailer with a two week old Can Am SXS.  No one was hurt.  My truck is totalled I'm fairly certain.  We may be able patch it up.  I do have full coverage.  His stuff is all wrecked.  I'm pretty sore now.  

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Southside

Did he break your trailer free from the impact?  Sorry to hear about the bad luck.  Stay far away from your barn during any meteor showers for a while.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Corley5

That's the neighbors dump trailer I've been using on another project.  My 550 was all I had.  My son came down with the truck and trailer to unload the wood.  The other guy got a ticket for "Failure to Yield".  

mike_belben

Good grief corley you cant catch a break lately.  Glad youre okay but man what a pain.   

I thought it was your dump trailer too at first, i was like dang he really got the beans above the frank. 
Praise The Lord

barbender

Here's to hoping for some better shakes for you guys. I think you need to take his insurance for a real ride, make it be his bad luck instead!
Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dan_Shade

Yikes, Glad your ok.

You may end up as a poster child for your insurance company. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Roxie

Corley is your insurance company for auto the same as your homeowners?   :o

Invoking my super power of stating the obvious you have had one unbelievable stroke of bad luck this year. 
Say when

HemlockKing

What a crazy stream of events life has thrown you recently, I'm glad you're alive. At this point it's just getting ridiculous with all that's happened. 
A1

Tacotodd

Trying harder everyday.

newoodguy78

Man if it wasn't for bad luck you wouldn't have any luck at all.

Tacotodd

Quote from: newoodguy78 on October 02, 2021, 06:58:37 AM
I would have liked that, but it's so true that it ain't funny :-[
Trying harder everyday.

21incher

Wow glad you're ok. Sure looks like that truck  was over the max combined weight  rating of a F150. Never saw someone tow 2 trailers before. Hopefully it  all gets  straightened out soon. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

newoodguy78

Quote from: Tacotodd on October 02, 2021, 07:04:46 AM
Quote from: newoodguy78 on October 02, 2021, 06:58:37 AM
I would have liked that, but it's so true that it ain't funny :-[
Yeah,certainly not trying to poke fun at him. Keep the faith Corley5 these type of things will test anyone. Glad he's alright.

mike_belben

Id say dudes doubles was certainly above the f150 safe braking capacity.

Did he have kids on board?
Praise The Lord

samandothers

Oh man! Sorry about this.  I hope you are all good and things settle out well.

WV Sawmiller

Glad to hear nobody was hurt and just property damage involved. The accident wasn't caused by a lightning strike or anything was it?  :-\
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Tom the Sawyer

He rear-ended you and was cited for "Failure to Yield"?  Must have some strange laws in Maine, most places that would have been "inattentive Driving", "Following Too Closely", or perhaps an equipment citation related to brake failure.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Nebraska

Over loaded x2 I used to own a very similar 5th wheel pulled it with an f350. I wanted nothing smaller on it.  So that rv  and a loaded  trailer behind  an F150?!?.... "stupid is as stupid does."  
Sorry for your un ending stress lately.  Hoping next year makes up for it.  
Glad you are ok.

firefighter ontheside

Oh man, I'm sorry this happened to you.  Surely that F150 was grossly over loaded.  It probably had no trailer brake controller.  The truck appears to be lifted, which doesn't help when towing.  I think he owes you for pain and suffering, much less the cost of your truck.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Resonator

Wow. :o Glad your OK.
I wonder if the other driver knew what he was getting into when he hitched up. Just because a truck can pull it, doesn't mean it can stop it (let alone with an F150). Also double trailers have a set of physics all their own, when I pulled them with a semi I had to pass a written test and get a special endorsement on my CDL in order to do so.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

GAB

Now that is starting October with a bang.
Hope you took lots of pictures for insurance purposes.
Wishing you the best.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

thecfarm

No way he was from Maine pulling 2 trailers. The big boys can do it on the freeway and so many miles from it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

newoodguy78

I wouldn't pull two trailers behind a pickup anywhere in the northeast. That's a sure fire way to meet the person with bright flashing lights on top their vehicle.

moodnacreek

Didn't you just go through a lightning strike? Good thing you show the pictures, no offense but this is hard to believe. Don't go for No. 3. Hope you get a fair settlement and no spine trouble.

barbender

You can pull 2 trailers in MN if the first one is a GN or 5th wheel. You see a lot of 5th wheel campers with a boat behind. I saw a lot of 5th wheel campers with 4 wheeler trailers behind when we were out West on vacation.

Corley5

Lightning,  Covid, and now this.   Bad things happen in rhrees.  Hopefully this is it.  Going to find a walk in clinic in a bit.  Ribs are sore, bruised and battered, and lame all over.  My buddy looked the truck over and think it can be fixed.   I'm sure it'll be totalled but I can buy it back for salvage.  Hoping the adjuster is here tomorrow. 

snowstorm

A f550 is crazy money now even old ones. If you need to up date get at least a 05. That was the first year of the wide front axle and a must have 10 wheel studs  that cures the broken wheel studs and the wheels going missing

Corley5

Bruised/sprained ribs, inflammation of muscles in my neck and abdomen. 

barbender

Sorry to say Corley, I think if I saw you on the street I'd head the other way. At until your "streak" is over😬

Sedgehammer

i'g get and MRI of the neck. My brother had a broken neck from a smaller type accident then yorn. He didn't even know he had one till he got rear-ended in his semi and they did and MRI then. One wrong bump/twist of his neck he wood've been paralyzed.

Keep your head up. Being positive absolutely makes your day better no matter what is thrown at ya
Necessity is the engine of drive

Corley5

Morning of phone calls with my insurance agent, adjusters, and attorney. Hurts to do just about everything now.  Rolling around on the x-ray table was miserable.  Dr. said it would get worse before it gets better.   Sneezing is a nightmare.

Corley5

And PTSD.  I went to Gaylord Saturday with my pickup and that trailer and was paranoid as can be about getting into a wreck.  My wife took me to the clinic and it was tough being a passenger.   Drove a mile to pick up the hired man this morning and didn't like it.

Corley5

And I've got 200 face cords of firewood on order and no truck.  I just had an order for 5 and turned away a heating assistance inquiry from the state. 

Corley5

In Michigan "recreational doubles" are allowed with an endorsement on your driver's license.   I'm sure the first trailer needs to be a fifth wheel  or goose neck.  I don't know what the  limits are on the second or the tow vehicle.  His F150 was far from being enough tractor.

Hilltop366

Quote from: Corley5 on October 04, 2021, 11:33:43 AMAnd I've got 200 face cords of firewood on order and no truck.

Insurance should cover the cost of renting a truck or hiring one? Probably not easy to find a rental with dump.

Corley5

I turned down another state inquiry for wood this afternoon.  I don't know what the benefit is this year but the last couple it's been 850 dollars.  So that's 1,700 dollars gross lost.  I didn't have rental/lease coverage.  When I got this truck, however many years ago, I was running a gooseneck dump too, a couple employees, and logging.  I phased that all out and never thought about this happening especially at the busiest time year.  In 16 years of running firewood all over the NW part of the Tip of Mitt, in all kinds of weather this is the first incident I've ever had involving another vehicle.  And it was a bright sunny dry pavement day in my hometown. 

Corley5

2003-2007 F550s with 6.0s are available in a decent price range if they didn't have a 6.0 ;) ;D

Corley5

I drove into town this afternoon to talk to my only mobile firewood job.  Good time to do it since I can't haul any wood.  Some moron in a Subaru SUV thing tailgated me much of the way in and had several opportunities to pass  >:( >:( >:(

snowstorm

The 6.0 in a f550 was only 225 hp. The one I have has been very good. Get ride of the egr cooler or put the new style in and they are fine. I have had every Ford diesel except a 6.4. I would buy a 6.0 over  a 7.3 and I have had four of them. I have three 6.7 one has been waiting fo parts for months. Cp4 pump came today still waiting for injectors. The pump ate itself.  4 k in parts. My newer one 29000 miles needed a new scr good thing Ford payed that one is was $5400

Corley5

I've heard more bad about a 6.0 and would never buy one.  6.4s don't sound much better.  I've heard 6.7s could ingest injector pieces and some ceramic balls from the turbo? as well injector pump issues.   My 7.3 has been good but I'd much rather have a Cummins :) :)  Whatever I end up with needs to be work ready. I don't want issues beyond regular maintenance for a while.  There's a good looking 5500 Ram Cummins in Da UP but it's got a 9' box and I'd prefer a 10' and a 4500 Chevy Duramax Downstate but it's a 4 door cab and f550s are around.  I should hear what the insurance wants to do with mine tomorrow.  A 2001 F550 dump with considerable cancer and 247101 miles isn't worth much in their eyes I'm sure.  

21incher

Hope you find a good vehicle. A couple weeks ago my sister was t boned in a newer Subaru forester by a full sized RAM pickup running a light. Luckily the Subaru saved her but was totaled and folded in half. They actually gave her over book value due to the increase in used car prices right now so check that you get extra. The big problem is she felt fine at the accident scene but 2 days later her ears filled with fluid and she lost her hearing. Got some back now but the damage is permanent and caused by her head being tossed around from the side hit.  Whiplash issues can show up several days later so take it easy for a couple days. She called right after the accident and I asked what hit her and she said it said RAM and had a big Trump flag in the back. I told her it was payback for voting for Biden and that didn't go over so well :-\. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Hilltop366

Quote from: Corley5 on October 04, 2021, 04:48:50 PMI didn't have rental/lease coverage.

I was thinking that the insurance of person at fault would pay for a rental, perhaps it does not work that way there.

Roxie

That sure would be a good question to ask. 
Say when

Corley5

It's Michigan's No Fault Insurance Law and why attorneys need to be involved :(

Corley5

The truck's totaled but I've got parts to put it back together.  Hopefully it'll be on road for Monday.  New wheel bearing/hub assembly, brake rotor and new pads and we'll see if a new caliper is required.  After the buy back amount was subtracted from the settlement I still collect almost twice what I paid for the old gal five or six or so years back.  It'll work.
  I'm going back to the Dr. tomorrow.  Ribs aren't right.  It suxs. 

moodnacreek

Quote from: Corley5 on October 09, 2021, 05:38:37 PM
 The truck's totaled but I've got parts to put it back together.  Hopefully it'll be on road for Monday.  New wheel bearing/hub assembly, brake rotor and new pads and we'll see if a new caliper is required.  After the buy back amount was subtracted from the settlement I still collect almost twice what I paid for the old gal five or six or so years back.  It'll work.
 I'm going back to the Dr. tomorrow.  Ribs aren't right.  It suxs.
The problem with ribs is that you have to breathe . That rib pain well take time, it's miserable. Reminds me of my motorcycle days. Good deal on the buy back.

Tacotodd

I only liked this last post because it's true in SO many ways!
Trying harder everyday.

thecfarm

I really did not want to click on to this tread.  :(  
But this time was some good news.  :)

Roxie

Please let us know what the doctor says about those ribs. 

Because of a genetic condition called scoliosis my rib cartilage became inflamed. Doctor called it chondrites and it took my breath away, literally. It's a 10 on the pain scale, so you sure are not over reacting. 

Say when

samandothers

Well in the case of truck settling out with insurance that is a bit of lemonade from the lemons!

Corley5

No obvious fractures on x-rays.  They're sending them for further analysis by a radiologist.   If there's no improvement in a week they'll recommend a CT scan.  I got a prescription for ibuprofen.   I've been busted up before.  Compound leg fracture etc.  It hurt.  This is a different hurt.  It suxs.

sawguy21

Don't be in a hurry to sign off for a quick settlement on an injury claim, talk to a good lawyer. I was hit by a drunk in 1976, my neck still gives me grief from whiplash. The guy should be nailed to the wall for packing that much behind an F-150, fortunately double towing with light vehicles is not legal on our roads.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Corley5

Got a call from the clinic and was told the radiologist believes there's a fracture in a rib.  X-rays don't always show rib damage well.
  I lost a wheel off this truck a couple winters ago, maybe three, because the tire place didn't properly torque them either time I was there in 24 hours.  Long story...  I suffered whiplash from that.  Bothered me for over a year.  No legal recourse for the injury because it's a soft tissue injury that doesn't show on an x-ray.  They did grudgingly fix the truck. 

gspren

I didn't see this until now, bummer. My wreck was September 17th and chest still isn't right but it is getting better slowly, you are younger so maybe will heal faster. Good luck with it all!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Thank You Sponsors!