iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Plumbing Pressure Tank Question

Started by Stephen1, May 13, 2022, 07:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

I have a pressurised plumbing system
220 Submersable pump
100' of 1"  to 2.5 gallon pressurized tank reduced to 3/4" to a particle filter and a UV light for potable water in my Log Cabin.
I teed of of the 1' line and ran 75' of 1" to my new house, 1.5 bathroom 2 bedroom.
I was going to put a 20 gallon pressure tank in the new place because I have it, or thought I did, it leaks, sat un used for a few years and now the bladder is no good and they do not make new bladders anymore.

I thought it was a good idea, now that  there are not a lot available and  they are out of stock.

Do I need a second pressure Tank?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Southside

Your well pump will run a lot less with a bigger tank. Your 2.5 gallon tank probably only fills up to under a gallon of water, so every time you use that amount your pump is cycling on and off. I have a 120 gallon tank in our house FWIW. I think the draw down is 40 something gallons, so my pump would cycle 1/40th of yours under the same use. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Stephen1

Quote from: Southside on May 13, 2022, 08:21:00 PM
Your well pump will run a lot less with a bigger tank. Your 2.5 gallon tank probably only fills up to under a gallon of water, so every time you use that amount your pump is cycling on and off. I have a 120 gallon tank in our house FWIW. I think the draw down is 40 something gallons, so my pump would cycle 1/40th of yours under the same use.
That makes sense. 
I will get a bigger tank for the house.  
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Sod saw

There are two reasons for a larger pressure tank.

1.  larger tanks will allow the pump to run less often, but for longer amount of time when running to re pressurize the system. So less wear on the pump starting and stopping and starting and stopping.  Just like Southside said.

2.  Larger tanks will smooth out the drop and rise of pressure at the faucet (s).  You will notice a difference most often in the shower .   Fewer, less drastic pressure changes.

Where is the pump pressure switch actually located?   At the cabin and small tank?  or in the house with the larger tank?   The electric power (for the pump) will probably de derived from the building where the pressure  switch is located near that tank.

Have you experienced at any time running out of water?  Does your well provide enough water to satisfy all your needs?  or will you need a different larger storage tank and another pump to pressurize the plumbing within the house?

LT 40 hyd.          Solar Kiln.          Misc necessary toys.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

doc henderson

you will have some pressure drop over long distances, so a tank in the house will smooth that out as well as it can catch up and be near the point of use and increase storage of the pressurized water volume.  In hays I had 5 acres.  a great well.  I ran all 1-inch pipe.  had 80-gallon tanks in the well and in the shop about 400 feet apart with the house in the middle.  I could water the yard and take a shower, and if someone flushed a toilet, we saw no drop in flow/pressure.  The house was fed by the two tanks with a T at the house.  you did not want to get caught in the yard when the sprinkler came on.  I do most of my plumbing with 1-inch pvc, so I do not need as many sizes of fittings ect. and less pressure/flow drop over distances.  we all say pressure, but it is really flow we mean when discussing things like sprinklers and shower.  but with less/restricted flow the pressure drops off as well.  the water saving shower heads reduce flow and that may maintain pressure in a system.  may be rated in gallons per minute.  the increased velocity of each stream of water feels like more water.  each restriction like elbows, and the length relative to radius of the pipe adds up to decrease flow.  you can increase initial pressure to overcome these flow losses and get more flow at the end.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Stephen1

I put in a 60 gallon pressure tank. It was the only one available for miles around me. 
The small pressure tank and switch are together in the cabin, the new large tank is in the house. I have 1" line from the pump to both buildings.  So far without us living in the new place all is good. I have been watering the septic bed grass with no problems.
I have unlimited water as I am drawing from the lake. I installed 2 filters and a UV system. I will get a tannin removal system next year. They are a little pricey and I am trying to keep the money from flowing out too fast. 

tawilson

I also have looked at thw tannin systems.  From what I found it's a water softener with expensive media, around $2000.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Thank You Sponsors!