iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small bleed/stroke

Started by Onthesauk, July 17, 2022, 08:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onthesauk

Had a small bleed/stroke this week.  Physically OK but some vision issues, left side of both eyes.   Biggest problem initially is that I can't drive.  Just wondering if anyone has any experience in recovering from issues like this. 
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

doc henderson

usually, it is a small clot, and we can dissolve it.  with a bleed it is a broken blood vessel or ruptured aneurysm.  often with time symptoms will get better.  need to control BP.  did they tell you the location of the bleed?  you are fortunate as they are sometimes catastrophic.  nothing is guaranteed.  good luck.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Onthesauk

Quite small, damaged but didn't destroy anything.  Have been on aspirin because of a prior clot but now just control BP
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

thecfarm

I hope all goes well for you. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

Hang in there and do most of what they tell you.   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

DWyatt

I purchased a company in 2020 and on June 5, 2021 the previous owner who still worked for me had a stroke that sounds very similar. He had literal blind spots in his eyes that the eye doctor could map out. He was/is not a very healthy individual, but the stroke was his wake up call. He took his rehab very serious and actually started taking his medication which he decided he didn't need a few years prior. The doc initially told him that his vision should come back in a few months, but it ended up taking almost 8 months after the stroke until he was released to drive again. From the sounds of things, it can be the flip of a coin if/when vision returns. I do hope that things come back to normal for you.

doctorb

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Onthesauk

Thank you so much, the kind of info I need to get started. 

Mine is the left side of both eyes.  At the beginning I was losing things the size of cars, now down to the point of occasionally figures on the screen.  I start with my GP on Friday, they approved a neurologist and am aware they have a PT for eyes.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Wlmedley

My wife has had two strokes 4 years apart.Both were caused by clots.The first when she was 58 years old.Both were major strokes.She also lost side vision on her left side.The last stroke vision was so bad she couldn't find her silverware if was on the left side and I had to turn her plate as she ate so she could see it all.Most of her sight has returned but she will never be able to drive.Doctor says she has lost 1/4 of her brain.Sounds like yours wasn't this bad.Take care of yourself,you don't want to have another.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Onthesauk

Yes, not nearly that bad.  This was a small bleed, I had one 12 years ago that was a clot.  Lost some balance some memory and couldn't read and write, had to relearn much of that.  I appreciate the stories, gives me some idea of what to expect.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

pineywoods

No such thing as a minor stroke. The difficulty is that no 2 strokes are the same. Part of the brain dies and the symptoms vary depending on which part or parts of the brain goes away. My wife suffered a huge one 22 years ago that left the entire left half of her body completely paralyzed. Even today, years later I occasionally see some small changes  that can be attributed to dead or dying brain cells.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: doc henderson on July 18, 2022, 07:00:11 AM
Hang in there and do most of what they tell you.   :)
"Most" of what they tell you?   Doc your realistic.  Like real people, a  regular guy if you get my meaning..   I appreciate that. smiley_clapping

Onthesauk you take care.  Hope you recover fully.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

doctorb

Can you read?  This would mean you have "macular sparing".  This indicates that the part of the nervous system supplying the retinal area of the most concentrated sight, (the macula) remains relatively unaffected.  Yes, getting your more peripheral sight back is important, but not as important as the macula.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Onthesauk

Yes, able to read although with some effort.  The peripheral issue has less effect now then the first day or two.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

doc henderson

that is good to hear.  you could have a full recovery if this is a small stroke.  the problem is that the individual may be unaware of the peripheral vision loss, and not realize that they are ignoring a whole side of the visual field.  this is why some cannot drive as they may change lanes and not even see a car next to them.  continued hope for improvement.   Doc

Onthesauk

One of the doctors in the hospital mentioned that people have one of these and don't know it until they sideswipe about three cars.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Thank You Sponsors!