iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Arthritic worn out knee questions

Started by gspren, September 25, 2022, 09:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

we discharge folks with papers that include the labs, and x-ray reading if it was read formally.  If you are seeing another doc without access to our images, we burn a disc.  We can send images electronically to other institutions.  to get a full copy you have to sign a paper for medical records.   
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

kantuckid

Quote from: Gary_C on September 30, 2022, 01:38:57 PM
Quote from: beenthere on September 30, 2022, 11:29:21 AM
Use a random orbital sander (without paper) and massage each knee once a day for about 30 seconds.
Knee pain went away.

There is nothing an old wood man cannot cure with a good sander.  :D
Sanders are among the tools designed by evil, predatory, hand doctors. Not some Godsend vibration device? 
Seriously, CTS took my hands away from me and it was a combo of many various tools, sanders included. I had to stop riding motorcycles for several years and lost lots of sleep too. 
A local cabinet company had lots of ladies who lost their jobs over vibration-Look at the brace on the guys wrist in Tule's pic of a table top sanding job. String trimmers are the worst of the worst IMO. 
My obvious point is tools that vibrate screw up WAY more than the fix.
 One issue to watch for with the xray thing is that if a provider asks for some historical pics of an issue, these hospitals toss that stuff after some years. As an e.g., the doc who did both my hand surgeries is dead and the records are long gone but I was asked for them by my neurosurgeon when arm nerve issues came along later. Not a deal killer but might of given them a better perspective on the damage progression. 
Last week I tore my hamstring mis stepping off a ladder to the floor. The entire backside of my left hip is pure purple. It hurts like hell and NSAIDS and cold and htg pads help as does compression wraps but thats it other than time to heal. My knee doc said I can expect a long, slow recovery as those muscles are large and lots to heal. 
The 3 month steroid shot of relief I'd normally have right now isn't happening due to the hamstrings pain. Such is life... I may try STENS gizmo today as I'm resting from planning 4x6's F & Sat. 
I like DA air sanders best when they're a choice! Smoother & faster. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

doc henderson

I got a new batt. DeWalt sander.  less vibration and it does not try to pull you all over the wood.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

beenthere

Don't think my orthopedic Dr. believed me either when I had the pre-op exam and told him my knee pain was gone, and why I thought it was gone. The surgery scheduled was cancelled.
 That was a year ago this month. Had been massaging the knee with the ros for about 3 months and was not being awakened every few minutes at night just to move into a another position for knee-pain relief. 
 This being able to sleep through the night has continued since that time. Great relief to me.
When the ortho Doc read my x-rays and said "bone-on-bone", he said there were only two choices. Total joint replacement or put up with the pain. Said injections were not a good choice. Temporary at best. Not the first time I'd heard that.

Glad I have found the relief by just "sanding" the knees for 30-40 seconds daily before bed time. 

Not suggesting it would work for everybody. My physical therapist (son-in-law) doesn't know why it works. Have a grand daughter in med school thinking of going in the orthopedics direction and may present this to her to see if she has any thoughts. For me, it works.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doc henderson

some in the chiro comm. and PT think of the facia as an organ un to itself.  the rolling other kinds of painful therapies seem to work.  we have a lot to learn about pain, and need things other than narcotics and major surgeries.

kantuckid

My 3 month interval knee shots might be temporary (now mine carry me ~ 2 months or so) but they are a true relief and make a night's sleep more palatable/possible. I wish I'd had that shot option as I neared my THR's!!!!!! I was, honestly stated, in tears if I had to walk very far and using a cane as each one got to it's worst point-now I barely notice them which is common for 100's of thousands of people annually. Magic medicine.
It's obviously miraculous to find that knee pain relief from a few seconds of vibration, glad it came your way. 
Meanwhile I'm forced into a wait until my knees become so bad I can no longer maintain any sense of a normal lifestyle-thats when mine get a TKR. 
Sadly, having torn my hamstring abductors I find myself with less than the regular relief from last week's knee shots. The entire worst knee leg hurts like hell from butt to knee to ankle now as the pain lessened above the knee on the hamstring to the calf now.
 Like Phyillis Diller once said? :D about aging
Nothing good to say about it for now except heat helps as does a cold gel pack but symptoms only, not muscle tone which I lost from the tearing it seems?

As I was planning 4x6's x 14' the other day, (with a kid to help) my left leg wouldn't lift the very heavy SYP beams so my arms did it all from stack to machine. 
In my mind a worn-out knee is a worn-out knee? Is there some in-between nice place to enjoy?  ;D I wish.

gspren

One thing I'm grateful for is that while my knees/legs hurt with every step and maybe worse just standing they don't hurt when I'm sitting or laying down so my sleep isn't hindered.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

YellowHammer

What about all this QC Kinetics cartilage reservation stuff I keep hearing about?  Has anybody tried that?  
Or a similar therapy? 

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

beenthere

Like QC Kinetix regenerative for healing cartilage?

https://qckinetix.com/

Heard of it, but don't know anything about it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

kantuckid

NBA/KY basketball player Tony Delk owns a cell place in Lexington, KY. You pay out of pocket some serious bucks and it's got +/- reviews. Mostly folks who do are pro ballers or rich who use it. They take the cells from your body then install them back into yer body again. Deep pockets stuff there, I'll pass. BTW, the names vary but thats the same deal as Delks shop. 
Then there's accupuncture which is often provided by natural healers or docs who like a sideline deal. The magic TV cures are also big sellers and many say they work. I'm personally not into that crap like copper bracelets and naturist pills. Your local chiropractors all sell the natural stuff. 

Thank You Sponsors!