iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Tuff Log skate

Started by Coastallogger, November 09, 2022, 05:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coastallogger

I am looking for more efficient ways to get logs moved around. I make log cabins so we are talking over 20 foot logs and up to 15 inch diameter.

Currently I get them to the trails with a portable winch and skidding cone, then I keep the cone on and skid with my 4 wheeler but when it gets a bit wet, with the bigger logs I need to hook up a pulley to get 2:1 advantage or rarely 3:1 but that takes a lot of rigging and back and forth so it is slow. 

I was looking at the Logrite log arch, the buck, just to use as a tag axle to stop the back from dragging and get most of the weight off the front too as well. It's convenient with the tongs, no bending over to hook up, but the *DanG thing weighs 185 lbs so getting it in and out of my woodlot would be a pain.

Plus I just got a quote: 2,295 $ CAD plus tax and a 4 month wait so I will miss this logging season.

Then I saw this: https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Timber-Tuff-TMW-70-Log-Skate-Steel/PRD7IA66AM8ZEO2?skuId=7IA66AM8ZEO2&offerId=E740758D710440C5BC6F338FA9690601&utm_medium=paid_search&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=always_on&cmpid=SEM_CA_316_K0VOW691KF_71700000099943864_58700008013744804&utm_id=SEM_CA_316_K0VOW691KF_71700000099943864_58700008013744804&gclid=Cj0KCQiAmaibBhCAARIsAKUlaKT18ftwWqEIo2gPTTRkrZ5k16FuE82dXpt2vEiOWIFKwNH50kpMeAkaAs65EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I know Timber Tuff is cheap knockoffs, but I don't see anything like that on the market from a more reputable manufacturer. 

I just need a timberjack to get the log up high enough to put it on but together those items are easier to handle and FAR far cheaper.

Does anybody know of a good company making these or some other alternative I may not have thought of?
Building 20X20 dovetail log cabin off grid.

Riwaka

Some log house makers have trained 3 or 4 full time logging crews to set aside the type of logs they require for log houses as they are clear-cutting hundreds+ trees/ day.

A self loader truck is able to bring the 'house' logs to the yard where the builders can sort the logs from the 3 crews, in order to construct and pre-assemble the log house in a yard. The house is disassembled/ log-numbered and taken to the  building site for reassembly. The log house builder has minimal machinery to sort the delivered logs on the flat yard and may hire a crane for some house location sites.

US - log house pre-assembly example.

Building Twin 18x24 Log Cabins- Walls, Log Gables, Log Purlins, Handcrafting Pre-Assembly - YouTube

Coastallogger

Quote from: Riwaka on November 09, 2022, 08:43:49 PM
Some log house makers have trained 3 or 4 full time logging crews to set aside the type of logs they require for log houses as they are clear-cutting hundreds+ trees/ day.

A self loader truck is able to bring the 'house' logs to the yard where the builders can sort the logs from the 3 crews, in order to construct and pre-assemble the log house in a yard. The house is disassembled/ log-numbered and taken to the  building site for reassembly. The log house builder has minimal machinery to sort the delivered logs on the flat yard and may hire a crane for some house location sites.

US - log house pre-assembly example.

Building Twin 18x24 Log Cabins- Walls, Log Gables, Log Purlins, Handcrafting Pre-Assembly - YouTube
Thanks, that isn't really an option for me. My whole deal is that I am restoring the native forest on my woodlot. Thinning out the pioneer species, white spruce, which make great wall logs but have virtually no commercial value, makes room for older growth species from the original native forest to grow. The cabin building is simply a way where I can turn those aging pioneer species trees into something useful and restore the native habitat at the same time. Buying from a logging crew would not only not serve that purpose, but would be working against my aim. Local loggers have absolutely horribly destructive practices (like clear cutting) which I can't with a clear conscience support. 

bigblockyeti

Shop around for a used arch.  I found a Strongway arch for $250 never used that would run me nearly $400+ tax from Northern Too.  At this price point, it's about managing expectations, it weighs just under 100lbs. and isn't going to be as robust or capable as something similar from Logrite, that being said at nearly 6x the cost, the Logrite isn't 6x the hardware, maybe twice but dimenishing returns is a part of life.  I could manhandle my arch into the woods but it's easier to just back it over the log with the ATV then have to run a strap unders the log and choke it (no tongs).  The environmental impact is about as low as you can get as with anything bigger, larger, more powerful there will be more disruption and it sounds like that's specifically what you're trying to avoid.  A 20-25hp 4wd subcompact tractor would be much better for actually pulling the logs from the woods, the ATV just doesn't weigh enough to come close to maxing out the arch.

Coastallogger

Quote from: bigblockyeti on November 11, 2022, 09:57:57 AM
Shop around for a used arch.  I found a Strongway arch for $250 never used that would run me nearly $400+ tax from Northern Too.  At this price point, it's about managing expectations, it weighs just under 100lbs. and isn't going to be as robust or capable as something similar from Logrite, that being said at nearly 6x the cost, the Logrite isn't 6x the hardware, maybe twice but dimenishing returns is a part of life.  I could manhandle my arch into the woods but it's easier to just back it over the log with the ATV then have to run a strap unders the log and choke it (no tongs).  The environmental impact is about as low as you can get as with anything bigger, larger, more powerful there will be more disruption and it sounds like that's specifically what you're trying to avoid.  A 20-25hp 4wd subcompact tractor would be much better for actually pulling the logs from the woods, the ATV just doesn't weigh enough to come close to maxing out the arch.
Logrite's 90 pount junior arch maxes out at 1,000 lbs.

Already on a dry day, my Honda 450 ATV has been towing my green 24 foot 13" BHD cabin logs with my skidding cone under the front of the log. That comes in around 720 LBS. With some wheels under the log as a tag axel, I would expect that weight to go up dramatically. I think I could easily max the capacity of that out.

I would love to find a used deal out there. Where I love the population isn't high so I haven't had any luck yet, but I think at that price, diminishing returns is absolutely the key here. Maybe it's best for me to just be patient. Meantime I have found this: https://www.princessauto.com/en/1000-lb-atv-log-dolly/product/PA0009067547 Think I will give that a try. Will just by their 70$ timberjack. If it breaks, Princess Auto comes good on their stuff forever no questions asked. So no risk there. Not as convenient as an arch, but as you say, diminishing returns.

Thank You Sponsors!