iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buckeye?

Started by tyb525, May 30, 2008, 10:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

Does anyone use buckeye for lumber? Is it worth anything? During recent walk through a part of my woods I haven't been in in awhile, I noticed that there were tons of buckeyes growing everywhere (small to medium size).

I don't know whether to try to thin them out to let better trees grow or something else.
What do you guys think?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Dodgy Loner

The lumber is soft and light-colored.  There's not much grain to it.  The trees are a lot prettier than the wood.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Timburr

Buckeye is a closely related specie to our horse chestnut, which is considered a non-commercial wood here in the UK.  About the only use I'm aware of, is the making of wooden toys.   If your desperate for lumber, a board is a board, but as Dodgy says, the wood is soft and bland.   I'd "let better trees grow or something else"!
Sense is not common

tyb525

Thanks, that's what I suspected.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Justin L

I was curious too, so...I cut & dried a Buckeye tree. I sold most of it to a carver, and gave a sample to another carver. I'll try to find out if they liked it or not. They aren't standing in line when I open the shop in the mornings to buy more(yet)!

It has lots of small knots everywhere, but they are white too. The grain change may be bad for the carving. It needs to be felled, sawn and stickered ASAP- mine sat for a week or two before sawing and it was stained already.

I might leave some bigger ones in my woods, but I've cut many small ones to let the more desirable tress grow. They grow pretty thick so they can block out a lot of light.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant! :)

tyb525

This topic was from awhile ago, but I just realized that I've bought lumber from you! I was the kid, Ty, that came with his mom and little brother earlier in the year , and bought a few shorts.

Justin L

Thats pretty funny! Were you guys in the area for a ballgame, and did I give your little brother a chunk of Basswood to practice carving? Just trying to picture your faces...

Been working on any projects lately?

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant! :)

tyb525

Yep thats it! Well since then I've bought a full-length lathe and drill press. I have pretty much all the basic tools (miter saw, table saw, band saw, router, portable power tools) now. I've turned a few bowls, a foot stool, a clock (with butternut I bought from you), shop furnishings, and other misc. things. My biggest project right now is building an oak bookcase for a lady. I want to get a planer sometime. (A future buy, when I have a steadier income  :))

Anyways, small world, huh? How's your business coming?

Justin L

I've been building custom cabinets for the most part. Some lumber sales & custom mldgs/flooring, but mostly cabinets. It's good to have a variety of products to make so when one slows down the others pick up some.

I received some feedback from a guy who carved a chain with some of the Buckeye. he was able to carve it, but it wouldn't carve as smooth as Basswood. It looked just like Basswood, but harder to carve. I think cutting them down to let the nicer trees grow is the thing to do. Leave some for the novelty and for squirrel food though! :)

One last thought- if you stay in woodworking as a profession, you may NEVER have a steadier income!

Thank You Sponsors!