iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Glad I don't have any credit cards

Started by Ernie, August 19, 2013, 11:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie

This is just another reason why We don't have any credit cards.  Sometimes it is a bit inconvenient but overall we have no troubles without the cards.  We use internet banking and EFTPOS/ Atms .

https://youtube.googleapis.com/v/lLAFhTjsQHw%26sns=em
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Cedarman

Ernie, you just made me check my cards.  Good for now.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

giant splinter

roll with it

grweldon

The bad thing (other than the fact the cards are completely vulnerable) is that detractors have been raising this flag since the introduction of RFID technology in credit cards.  I did not know about passports.  In this day and age of global fanatic terrorism, THAT is FRIGHTENING!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

ronwood

The sad thing is there are effective ways to secure the cards.  The technology /protocols of the cards are outdated and have not been updated to deter the latest threats.
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

clearcut

Most credit card companies will issue a non-RFID card on request. Most of these cards use a security code that changes with each transaction so the thief can only use your number once. If your credit card is compromised, you are legally responsible for only the first $50, and every card company waives that, especially if your card is still in your possession.

The RFID signal is weak and can be blocked with a special wallet or passport holder. A metal container like an Altoids tin or a cigarette case should also work. Even a sheet of heavy aluminum foil will prevent the RFID chip from being read from a distance. These solutions will not completely block the signal, but substantially reduce the distance from which the card can be read.

For a more permanent solution a very short trip in the microwave will kill most RFID chips but will leave a burn mark. Cutting the leads from the chip to the antenna will be less obvious and quite effective. And a solid whack with a hammer should kill the chip completely.

Intentionally killing the RFID chip on your passport is probably against the law.

Carbon sequestered upon request.

grweldon

My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Warbird

This has been going on for a long time.  The immediate things to do:

1.  Request from your bank a non-RFID card.
2.  Don't use a debit card.  Most card companies offer great credit card protection but debit cards are a different matter.

grweldon

Debit cards issued for banks by VISA and MasterCard have been around quite a while.  They have the same fraud protection as credit cards with the VISA or MasterCard logo...

Corley5

I've got a Visa check card with Pay Wave.  But have a new one without it on the way.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

clearcut

QuoteClearcut, did you watch the video?

Yes, I did. I'm not sure what I may have missed.

The guy demonstrating how easy it is to steal credit card numbers sells RFID blocking sleeves and wallets, so it is in his best interest to present the problem at its most dire.

Having had my identity stolen, and also having had a credit card number stolen (though not an RFID card) I am very concerned about such things. I offered positive solutions that were mentioned in the video and others that were not.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

Ianab

I have a serious distrust of those RF cards, and the "paywave" system.

First is that the card data can be picked up remotely (OK it's measured in inches, but it can be read without you knowing) and 2nd is that there is no verification. Means a pickpocket can use the card for numerous small purchases without a PIN or signature.

OK the banks will refund the fraudulent charges, but it's a big pain in the butt getting your card cancelled and re-issued.

All the NZ bank cards are now "Chip and Pin", but not all RF. This means the card has an computer chip to store the data, much harder to clone than a magnetic strip. The terminals are now set so that  you insert the card yourself, and it never leaves your sight.  A 2 factor authentication is much more secure than just a card (smart or not). You need the card, AND the pin number to match to use it.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Randy88

Two people I know in the last week had 2450 bucks charged on their cards, the card company called each of them and the charges were declined, new cards issued and life goes on, one of my questions is, who reimburses the business that the charges were disputed and the card company never paid?   Are they just out their merchandise and money or how does that work exactly?   

Thank You Sponsors!