iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Worn Files

Started by JW IN VA, February 20, 2015, 10:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JW IN VA

When is a file too worn to file a saw?I hear about tossing files before they're too worn.

beenthere

Best indication is to have a new one close by, and use it once in awhile... the bite the new one has compared to the old worn one will be the biggest clue. Like one stroke instead of three or four.

But the only downside to using a file too long is that it takes more strokes. So if time isn't real important... use the old  ;D

Hope that helps...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

beenthere kinda summed it up, if the shavings are not coming off then it's time to toss.  for a couple of bucks a loop can be fuzzed in pretty quickly.  beats the heck out of straining to eeck out an ole used file.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

JW IN VA

Thanks for the replies.I need to change files.I usually buy in multiple packs but  don't want to waste things ,either
I like to touch up the chin at each fill up or anytime the chain looses its pull feeling.

terrifictimbersllc

You sharpening or shaving? :D :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

JW IN VA

::) :D You mean a true woodsman doesn't shave with his saw?

clww

Some of us don't shave at all. ;D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

bandmiller2

JW, a sharp file will bite with little force a dull one will tend to skate over the tooth and requires force to make it cut. A dull file sort of burnishes the tooth and doesn't give you a real sharp edge. I know I have a hard time throwing out a file. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

terrifictimbersllc

Got to get them out of the shop, gone.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

clww

Good explanation, bandmiller. I have no problem throwing out a file, as the new ones are cheap. I got a dozen last week from Forum Sponsor CHAINSAWR. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Butlerslogs

Quote from: clww on February 21, 2015, 06:42:41 PM
Some of us don't shave at all. ;D

Its too cold to shave!!!

Mn woodchuck

I haven't shaved since August 1980. Just trim it with a hedge trimmer once in awhile .
to soon oldt to late schmart!
3 husky 350xps 340xp 362 346. 372xp McCullough 710.and a jonsered 2150 sopped up..
Cat D6 D2

HiTech

Do files wear out or plug up with metal shavings? I carry a file card in my toolbox and clean the file when done using it. The files seem to last forever. It only takes a minute to run the file over the card and it does clean it very well. I am not even sure where I got it...I have had it a long time. You can use it on any kind of file to clean the grooves.

Al_Smith

If say every tooth you tap the file on something to dislodge the chips they last longer .They do wear out though given enough time .

jwilly3879

Every time I have cut myself sharpening it was because of an old file I found in the tool box.

Escavader

Quote from: HiTech on March 18, 2015, 05:43:58 PM
Do files wear out or plug up with metal shavings? I carry a file card in my toolbox and clean the file when done using it. The files seem to last forever. It only takes a minute to run the file over the card and it does clean it very well. I am not even sure where I got it...I have had it a long time. You can use it on any kind of file to clean the grooves.
May I ask what a file card is??
Alan Bickford
Hammond lumber company/Yates American A20 planer with dbl profilers Newman feed table multiple saw trimmer destacker automatic stacking machine Baker resaw MS log corner machine  4 large capacity Nyles dehumidification kilns JCB 8000 lb forklifts woodmizer lt 15 and mp100 and blower

terrifictimbersllc

It's a double sided brush with short wire bristles on one side and nylon bristles on the other.  For cleaning a file as it is used to keep it from clogging up.

http://www.nicholsontool.com/files/nicholson-21467-10-file-card-and-brush.html

CR888

Old toothbrush or nail brush are handy for cleaning the shavings from a file so it cuts easily not clogging up. I buy files buy the dozen and get more than what l need when there are good deals on them. You can sharpen a lot of chain with a dozen files if you use good filing technique. Pferd, Save Edge, Vallorbe(stihl)are all pretty good. I would love to go back in time and get some of the swiss NLA files, but that is not yet possible.

Straightgrain

Quote from: clww on February 21, 2015, 08:55:12 PM
Good explanation, bandmiller. I have no problem throwing out a file, as the new ones are cheap. I got a dozen last week from Forum Sponsor CHAINSAWR. :)

Thanks for this post OP, and thanks for the sponsor-lead clww; I just bought some files and a GB guide from them. There prices are indeed reasonable, and their selection is very-good. Their willingness to ship to a PO Box is another plus.
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

NH-Murph

I'm a bit OCD about files... I use lots of files working on guns, so it's more of a natural feeling that they're no longer up to par.  When the files don't take a nice cut any longer, they go in a bucket with the chains that don't take a nice cut any longer.  There, they wait together patiently for the next time I pour concrete.  They get stacked and wrapped around the rebar for extra re- ;D

luvmexfood

I was bad about putting worn out files in the truck or laying them back on the bench. Seems like they alway got mixed in with the still usable files. Now they are tossed as soon as they are worn out.

There is a company, in Ohio I think, that remanufactures them. Expensive. Anyone tried that route? Just wondering if they were any better.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Thank You Sponsors!