iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Funny story......Well, now its funny

Started by Just Me, February 23, 2015, 12:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Me

Funny story....... Well,, now its funny.

Someone gave me this magnet that was used in a printing operation to pull metal out of the paper. Its about 3' long, 2 1/2" wide and consists of a 1/8" stainless sheet with a bunch of some kind of magnets bonded to it that are parallelograms spaced about 1/4" apart the whole length. EXTREMELY STRONG!!!! its so strong my buddy and I picked up my DJ20 with it easily. Easy for the magnet, not us. There is a warning on it to stay ten feet away if you have a pacemaker.

I had it screwed to the wall to hold shaper bushings and decided that I was going to make a magnetic fixture out of it, so I took it down and cut it in half. I was putting handles on it, coming from the drill press heading back to the bench when WHAM!

As I walked by the other half sitting on the saw magnet side up the one on the saw jumped up and bit me. No, really, that is what happened! You always hear of trees jumping out and biting cars so I know this stuff can happen.

SO...... Here I am in my shop working alone with my finger caught between two magnets that are capable of lifting a jointer. This hurts a little bit. You know that instant when you hit your finger with a hammer? Well, just keep that going. I don't suggest that you keep hitting yourself with a hammer to get an idea what it felt like, just take my word for it. To give you a clue, I have broken both legs at the same time, and this hurt worse. Or, maybe I an just getting to be a wimp in my old age?

So in screaming pain I am trying to get this off my finger. Can't pull it out, probably a good thing in retrospect and I only have one hand to work with, the other one having a couple of foot and a half magnets clamped on it. Plus my vision was little blurry, probably had something to do with the magnets making my eyes water. I didn't know magnets could do that? Who knew?

I'm hoping I can figure out a way to get it off because I am not sure I can drive the ten miles to town with the magnets making my eyes water. I can't pull two magnets apart with one hand, something I had never thought about before. Its true, you can't do it! I was almost ready to head for town when I spied the rail on my slide saw. I slipped the open end that was fighting its hardest to mate with its sibling over the rail, grabbed the saw wrench that hangs there and jambed it in between, prying enough that I could slip my finger out.

The pain then got worse, and I thought I was going to have to visit the porcelain goddess. My finger was no more than a 1/4" thick. Didn't know exactly how much bone was in my finger, and now I do, about 1/4 inch. It took a half hour for it to regain is somewhat normal shape, and as it did the pain subsided with it.

Its ok to laugh, I do now......

Oh yeah, I screwed the two halves back on the wall and that is where those little buggers are going to stay.....

Larry

r.man

Do you carry a bank card or credit card with you? You might want to get them checked. Glad your finger is ok now.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

ely

you should have stuck your finger back in sideways ...that would have squared things up nicely.... you said it was funny now.

tree-farmer

Wow, you made my day, not much funny about Monday's, so this was great. Thanks for sharing.  Well written as well  :D
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Den Socling

That reminded me of the day I ran over my own foot with a forktruck. I still can't laugh!

kczbest

Oh my, I needed that laugh. I worked at Weyerhaeuser about a decade ago. One day we got in two 42" rare earth magnets about 3/4' inch in diameter. The team retard decided to show a couple of us how strong he was. He had a magnet in each hand and started with his arms fully extended. He did OK until the magnets got even to his shoulders and then wham! We heard the metal of the magnets hit each other and had all eight of his fingers and both thumbs smashed in between the magnets. It took us about ten minutes to get his hands free.....well maybe five minutes with intermittent laughter at his stupidity. Thanks for bringing back that old memory.
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

submarinesailor

Quote from: Den Socling on February 23, 2015, 07:03:07 PM
That reminded me of the day I ran over my own foot with a forktruck. I still can't laugh!

That was an ALMOST been there, done that.  Just caught the ends.

Bruce

thecfarm

We had some powerful ones at where I use to work. The big ones was being put into the machines. One guy told the other guy,be careful,don't get your fingers between the magnets. Well he did somehow,crushed his fingers,off to the hospital he went.  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

I'll bet it wasn't funny at the time but the narrative is hilarious. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

justallan1

Thanks for the great story. I've seen some where I know I could be in that situation.
I have some about the size of dominos that you can put one on the inside of your hand and one on the outside and you'd play heck trying to get them off by just flailing. I taped one to the end of a yardstick and reach under a ¾" countertop to drag wrenches around laying on the top of it. Pure simple amusement for kids of all sizes.

Cedarman

Great story, fun read, sorry that you had to suffer to make us laugh.

What did the boy  magnet say to the girl magnet?

The closer I get to you the more you attract me. :D :D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

luvmexfood

Reminds me of a time in the early 80s when I was working construction. We had this large forklift on the job and one of the workers was adjusting the width of the forks. Had one lifted and slid to the correct length and he let it go mashing his finger between the fork and frame. I was tasked with taking him to the Dr.

We went to the local clinic and they could not treat and refered to a hospital in the next town. On the way he asked me if their would be and police their. My reply was "don't reckon I don't guess". We get their and walk him in and right at the check in window is a deputy. He gives his name and they take him back to check on finger. I set and wait awhile then go up to check on his status. Lunch time had passed and was going to find me something to eat if he was going to be awhile. Deputy told me not to worry about waiting on him because as quick as hospital got done with him he was going to jail.

Seems like that very deputy was one of the ones that went to arrest him the prior Sunday on warrants and this worker ran and got away from them. Company had lodging near job site for the workers and he made it there without getting caught. It became the big joke if you got hurt on the job to not let me take you to the doctor.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Thank You Sponsors!