iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log bridge project

Started by KGNC, November 05, 2009, 02:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KGNC

I've got a project I'd like to run by you guys and gals for your thoughts.
This summer my wife decided we needed a walking trail from our pond up the valley to our house.
She worked real hard most of the summer clearing rhododendron and mountain laurel about 8 feet wide. I went in with the tractor after she finished and grubbed some stumps and smooth out the rough spots. So now she has a nice walking trail and I have tractor access to a lot more of our property.

There is one place were we had to cross a small stream and it's pretty much a swamp for about 30 feet. We decided the best solution for this was to just build a foot bridge over the area since I really didn't need the tractor in there anyway. There was a  large hemlock right by the bridge location that was dieing from the wooly adelgids so we thought it made more sense to cut it down before we built the bridge. Last week I took down the hemlock with the intent of dragging it out and taking it to my buddy with a woodmizer. But now that I have the tree on the ground it's much bigger and gnarlier than I realized. There are a couple of nice saw logs in there but I'm not sure it's worth wrestling it out of the woods with my little tractor.
So... My new plan is to take my chainsaw and rip the hemlock down the middle, then place the two halves head to toe on some bunks for my foot bridge. The tree is about 36" dia. at the butt and around 18" at 50 feet so I could make a bridge about 54" wide.
How hard is it going to be to freehand rip 50' hemlock with a chainsaw? I could see it being a problem to stay centered. I have a ms 660 and a 32" bar so I think I have the saw to do the job.
If I have the hemlock on some PT bunks, not laying on the dirt, how long do you think it would last? I know hemlock holds up better than a lot of woods but I would hate to go to all of this work for a 2 year bridge.
My other plan is to just cut it up for firewood for 2011 but that seems like a bit of a waste.

Tom

50' would be quite a trip, but you only have to do it once.

I've chainsawed a lot of 3' or 4' logs to get them on the mill, but most were in the 10'-12' length catagory.

Roll the log onto some dunnage.

Stretch a cord the length of the log to make a line. Tack some 2x4's, or the like, along the cord to form a guide for the saw.  Climb up on top of the log, with the bar pointed down and saw away.

I think it is a great idea and would make quite the conversation piece.  You don't have to worry about it being perfect.

Don't know how long it will last, but probably a couple or three year at least.

pappy19

Why not just put them head to toe and then nail some cross 2X12's across them for walking.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Glenn

Hemlock works well for bridges.  All the logging bridges in Algonquin park are made out of it.  On my walking trails on my own property when i cross a creek i string 2 logs across the creek and then put smaller logs perpendicular to them - works well.  I make them big enough to be able to drive the 4 wheeler across.  I use whatever logs are closest ie balsam, spruce, pine and they all work well.  I keep the logs off the ground by making piers out of stone.

Ernie

Quote from: Glenn on November 05, 2009, 05:37:11 PM
Hemlock works well for bridges.  All the logging bridges in Algonquin park are made out of it.  On my walking trails on my own property when i cross a creek i string 2 logs across the creek and then put smaller logs perpendicular to them - works well.  I make them big enough to be able to drive the 4 wheeler across.  I use whatever logs are closest ie balsam, spruce, pine and they all work well.  I keep the logs off the ground by making piers out of stone.

Sounds nice Glenn but where are the pictures?  We love pictures 8) 8)
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

KGNC

I took another look today and I like this plan. Saturday morning I'm going to start ripping.
Getting the halves into position will be another challenge.
I[ll try to get some pictures

Magicman

Your idea is wonderful.  Off of the ground, it will last for many years.  Go for it..... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Glenn

sorry i don't have any pics of my bridges yet but ill get some.  i do have an interesting pic of my driveway culvert i intstalled 2 weeks ago.  its not all together in the pic but ended up 45 feet long and can handle a fully loaded tree length log truck.  the pieces are very heavy and have to be loaded with an excavator.  i cant figure out how to load the pic but it is in my gallery if you want to see it.

compliments of tom

johnjbc

We just built this bridge last week. The picture was taken before the hand rail was installed. It is made from 2 10" white oak poles and decked with 2" x 8" x 36" white pine

Here is one we built last year.

LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

pappy19

Looks like a great bridge to me. Some linseed oil on it and you'd be set for a few years.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Thank You Sponsors!