iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bulgaria's oldest tree

Started by tonich, April 15, 2007, 12:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgy Loner

Nice pictures, looks like the old tree is just hanging on by a thread.  Unfortunately, all trees must die eventually, just like dogs and cats and people :(.  I'm glad you got to see it while it was still alive. :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

tonich

@Tom,

I’ve been told some acorns were collected. The Mayer said, that some scientists have collected enough seeds for unknown purposes. The next day (probably about 3 weeks ago) I phoned the local State Forestry Unit, asking about ANY information about seed collection/conservation of this particular tree – i.e. nurseries, seedling production, planting, grafting etc. The deputy director in chief (apparently an young guy) hadn’t got a clue about the situation. However, he promised me to do some research and call me back.
Still nothing.

The locals appeared to be enthusiastic enough to collect some acorn, trying to sow them. Luckily, some attempts were successful. The most famous reproductive is an Oak, sawn back in 1986. It is as far as about 30 meters away of the specimen.

Here is the slate, in front of the young tree:

Dodgy Loner

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

tonich

Certainly!:  :)

“A precious inheritor of the Granit’s millenary specimen”
May, 1986

SwampDonkey

The only word I knew was 'May' because there was a date beside it and the fact it was a dedication plaque.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tonich

Quote from: SwampDonkey on July 23, 2008, 05:44:04 AM
The only word I knew was 'May' because there was a date beside it and the fact it was a dedication plaque.  :)

And what about the year?  ::) 

PS.  :D :D ;)

SwampDonkey

That's a number, not a word.  ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tonich

Not your kind of joke, eh?  ;D

Sorry!

Best regards!!!  :) :) :) ;)

SwampDonkey

The joke was fine, well maybe not.  :D

Your wrecking your landmark thread though. ;)

Roxie

Tonich, thank you so much for sharing the pictures!   It is espicially heartwarming  to see the "precious inheriter". 

Awesome!   8)
Say when

murzila

Hey guys,

I am more than surprised and excited to hear how many people are involved of trying to preserve the Granite Oak. This is how we called it when we were growing up there in Granit Village. My grant parents lived their good 2/3 part of their lives and my mom and her brother were born there. I was always proud to be associated with the village, because of the oak. I do live far now (US) but memories and your treat melted my heart today.

Thank you,

Magdalena
Life is Beautiful

SwampDonkey

Welcome aboard murzila. I'm sure Toni and his wife will be pleased to read it. He has been working toward getting employment and citizenship over the pond as well.  Slow process as you know. ;)

tonich

Hi Magdalena,

Since I live in The Rhodope mountains, I might be missing something important about the Granite Oak. Furthermore, all the efforts to gather more actual information from the State Forestry Unit in Chirpan failed.
Maybe you could share with us some firsthand facts or impressions about the tree.

Cheers!

Toni

PS. I’m curious, how did you find this thread.  ::) ;)

SwampDonkey

Toni, I think you put her in a hard spot with your questions. She's never been back. ;)

tonich

Well, it seems so...  ::)

I'm terribly sorry!  :-X

Thank You Sponsors!