iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tower Edger Saw

Started by Tripp, February 24, 2010, 08:06:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripp

Just finished restoring and setting up an old Tower edger.  I have never used one before and I am uncertain what rpm it should be run at?   It seems to cut well in the 1200 rpm range. After pouring all new babbitt (8 bearings on this machine) I just wanted to make sure I am running at a safe rpm.                                                                                                                                 

Tripp

Here is a pic of a recent snow. We don't see this very often in south GA.

apm

You're accumulating quite an operation down there, Tripp. Look out Weyerhauser! There's a new competitor in town.......

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

WH_Conley

http://www.owwm.com/

This site has about anything old. Should be able to find your answer there.
Bill

JSNH

I have a Tower 27" one. You are missing your left infeed fence. I run it on a 10 HP motor. The previous owner had it set for a seperate feed motor.

Tripp

JHSN,

Thanks for the info. From looking at your pics I may be missing a kickback and chip guard on the infeed side. My machine throws alot of chips at me and has no kickback fingers. Am I seeing correctly.

Tripp

Dave Shepard

First, you've got to tell us what that power unit is. ;) Looks like a U-2?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tripp

Dave,

The power unit is a u-4 Farmall. It is the same engine that is in a International H model tractor.
This engine used to power a grain mill in the early 1900's. When I bought it the motor had not run in over 55 years. The pistons were not stuck, but the valves were. It was also missing the magneto and carb. After a thorough cleaning inside and a few new parts the motor runs great.

Tripp

Dave Shepard

I figured it was either a 2 or a 4. I couldn't quite make out the details on the side. Actually, a closer inspection confirms the governor housing of a 4. I shouldn't have second guessed myself. ::) That 4 should toy with an edger. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

JSNH

It looks like yo are missing the infeed hold down roller. Mine has a piece of u channel for additional weight and to deflect the chips. I saw a newer 1953 tower edger and it had some kick back fingers they added at the factory to the 1953 model. The owner of that one explained. I asked since on his it looked cobbed together but was actually factory installed. His also had a working feed chain. The chain had little nubs that helped push the board thru the unit. To me it looked like they would do little but he said it helped quite a bit when you were edging only one side and using the fence. Mine has the chain feature but no chain.

beenthere

Grew up learning to drive tractor at 12 on an H farmall. Sweet sounding engine. That was early 50's, not early 1900's  ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tripp

looks like it's time to build a feed roller chip deflector. Sometimes the boards would want to bounce when feeding them into the saw. A good heavy hold down roller would sure help.

Thanks for the help.

Tripp

Thank You Sponsors!