iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40 Simple Set

Started by ncsawyer, March 20, 2016, 10:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncsawyer

I have a 2015 LT40 with simple set.  It stays under roof all the time.  I turned the key on tonight and the head traveled all the way down by itself as soon as the key was switched to the #3 position.  When the head bottomed out, the up/down motor kept trying to turn, I heard it slip the belt on the up/down motor and tripped the simple set breaker.  I turned the key off and reset the breaker.  Every time I turned the key back on (mill head is still in lowest position) it would try to go down, slip my belt and trip the breaker.  I finally got simple set to load up without automatically moving the head down. 

It acts like its supposed to now, except for my up/down belt has some nice chatter to it.  Took the cover off the mill and tightened it up, still sounds like a hamster on a wheel.  I suppose I will need a new belt to solve my noise problem.

Any ideas why my simple set all of the sudden decided it had a mind of its own?

Also after it began working again, I decided to check and see if it would move the head down accurately according to a desired setting.   I ran the head up as high as it would go and set simple set to an inch and an eighth.  After engaging the down drum switch 20 consecutive times (simulating 20 consecutive 1" boards) I found that simple set was off by 1/8" over those 20 cuts. 

That wouldn't be noticeable on those 20 boards, but the last board (the one left on the sawmill bed) would be 1/8" too thin.  Has anyone else experienced similar problems? 
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My does it from time to time.
I have talked to Woodmizer about it.
I think the Simple Sets have a bug in them and nobody knows what it is.

There is a yellow electronic cable that goes from the simple set to the grey box behind the shield under the tanks. You can disconnect those and blow the dust out.....which may or may not be your problem.

Also the grey box the yellow cable plugs into behind the shield under the tanks could be going bad.

I can saw for months without any problem and all if a sudden my Simple Set will go WhAcKo.

I have been sawing and lets just say I saw 5 boards a perfect thickness......the 6th board will be thinner and the 7th board will be thicker and the rest of them perfect.

I wish I could get an answer also.....with the help of WM, we have tried everything, even replacing parts like the grey box......it still does it from time to time.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Den-Den

I have not used a simple set but do have experience with controllers and automation.  Most likely the problem is a sensor or a sensor connection.  Intermittent sensor problems are difficult to track down, sometimes they are caused by a sensor at the limit of its capability; example - a proximity switch that is a little further away than it should be.  They can also be caused by loose or dirty terminals and/or ground continuity problems.
The "good?" news is that the problem will eventually get bad enough that you will be able to find it.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Ga Mtn Man

I haven't seen this particular problem but, in my opinion, I don't think it is related to the cable or the encoder.  The SimpleSet shouldn't move the head without a control input from the drum switch.  The SimpleSet microcontroller re-boots on power up and and should hold the controls to the h-bridge module at neutral until the re-boot is complete.  Clearly this isn't happening.  Why is the question.

Regarding your bottom board inaccuracies, have you tried a different speed setting on the SimpleSet?  For the LT40 a setting of 5 is recommended but I've found that 4 works better on my mill.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on March 21, 2016, 09:13:15 AM
  For the LT40 a setting of 5 is recommended but I've found that 4 works better on my mill.

What was the 5 doing?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ga Mtn Man

On average the drops were a little short resulting in a thicker board at the bottom, sometimes as much as 1/16" but never 1/8".  The SS is accurate to within +/-1/32" per drop and you hope it averages out to give you a good board at the bottom.  Mine seems to do that more reliably with a setting of 4.  Your results may vary  :).
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

ncsawyer

How do you know what setting it is on? How do you change it?
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Tree Dan

Could be a problem with your  InvGear Setting.
It will be in your manual how to check the settings.
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

Ga Mtn Man

While in Manual mode, press and hold the UP arrow button until the speed setting shows.  Press the UP/DN buttons to change the setting and press the Manual button to exit the setup menu.

I've attached the SimpleSet manual if you want to give it a look.

sparks

If you find that the invert gear has changed, give us a call. There is an issue with that board and it will be replace at N/C. A few came in with faulty defaults.     Thanks
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Solomon

That's why I love my LM4,  Photo Electric Set Works,  Works every time and I can make my own reader plate out of a piece of 3/16 plate steel and cut any consistent thickness I desire.  Everything on it is made from commonly available parts.   I can go to the local trailer supply ,  bearing supply ,  Hardware Store or Hydraulic supply and get what I need.  And it has not needed much in the eight years since I bought it new and it has cut beutiful straight lumber out of every half way decent log I have put it up against,  including Pecan, Hickory ,  White Oak  and a couple exotic woods that were pretty brutal on the blades.
I know Logmaster is not a sponser of this site and all that but I have to give credit where credit is due.
They don't build mills anymore but they are still taking care of their customers who bought their mills by supplying parts , blades and sharpening service.
And, as I indicated "Their parts are not proprietary"   You can buy them just about anywhere.
  I did have to replace the belt on the Hydraulic pump about a year ago.   
Nothing against WM but I'm glad I bought the Logmaster and I will never sell it.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Thank You Sponsors!