iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

estimating tree taper ?

Started by lirachamo51, January 19, 2016, 08:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lirachamo51

??? is there a easy way of estimating how much taper in standing white pine ? i'm cutting some white pine for lumber for a pole barn and i need 2x10's and 2x12's 17.6' long so i need small end diameter around 14- 16" in diameter. been all over the internet and some very complicated formula's, nothing simple,help ! :-\
Randy

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

lirachamo51

that tells me the bdf. of the 16' log ,but not if i will be able to get a 2x12 out of it because the taper at 18' will be to great to get that width ? maybe i'm missing something,i'm not the sharpest tool in the shed!! :D
Randy

WDH

You need trees over 20" in diameter breast high (DBH). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

lirachamo51

is there a formula your using or is it one of the very complicated i found on internet ?
Randy

WDH

Pretty simple.  Form class is the inside bark diameter of the tree at 16.5' above the ground divided by the diameter at breast height (DBH).  If you need 16" inches inside bark at 16.5' (assumes a .5' stump height), and if the average form class for white pine is 78 (which means the diameter at 16.5' above the ground inside bark divided by the DBH outside bark is 78%), then 16" divided by .78 is 20.5". 

Form class 78 is typical for most trees.  In Jeff's example of form class 79 for white pine, then, 16" inside bark diameter at 16.5' up the stem divided by .79 = 20.2" DBH.

It is hard to measure the inside bark diameter of a tree at 16.5' above the ground, and inside the bark to boot unless the tree has been felled.  However, it is easy to measure the diameter of a tree at breast height outside bark, and you need white pine trees that have a DBH greater than 20" to net an inside bark diameter of 16" at the top of the first 16' log in the tree.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

lirachamo51

thanks , i think i've got it ! 8)
Randy

CJennings

If you have access to a relaskop you can measure the height up to a desired diameter fairly easily (keeping in mind the bark thickness). I know the relaskop isn't exactly the most affordable, reasonably priced piece of equipment though.

lirachamo51

thanks for the help guys, iv'e been keeping the dbh at 18-20 for the 2x12x 18' and dbh 16-18 for my 2x10x16' and it has been working well if i take the fairly straight ones,as always the forum comes through ! 8)
Randy

Thank You Sponsors!