iDRY Vacuum Kilns

MacBook

Started by Magicman, December 19, 2020, 09:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

MacBook:  Who is using one.  Pros - Cons ??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Hilltop366

I have a 2013 one I bought second hand (9 months old).

Pros: I turn it on and it works.

Cons: $$.

The only expense has been a new charge cord and I bumped up the ram 4 years ago.

Bandmill Bandit

We bought a basic Apple Macbook in 2000 that is no being used by my 7 year old grandson for games. BUT he is starting to complain its too slow.

With in a year of the mac book every computer in our system was Apple. 7 Macbook Pros and 5 IMac 21" pros.

Con was singular;
Initial HARDWARE acquisition cost was 26% higher based on the quoted price from the dealers I dealt with for equal/comparable product at the time.

Learning curve was steep but short!

Pro;
The windows based sytems had a secondary quote attached to the hardware quote for SOFTWARE and Licencing/renewal. That pushed initial acquisition costs to just a bit over 50% higher on the Windows systems AND the annual licence fees were some what less BUT perpetual for as long as you run the software. I already owned licence for the software I was using and was subject to renewals already but need additional new suites for the 4 newly deployed systems.

Software included on the Apple product!

When you turn it on, it works 999 times out of a 1000!    

4 of those lap tops were still running and all the Imacs were all running when we  traded up 4 years ago.

NO software renewal fees for 20 years adds up. AND annual hardware costs dropped drastically. We've only done 1 complete system update in 2016 where we were rotating at least a 1/3 of the system every year prior to moving to Apple.

Support requirement dropped to almost NIL. Hacking issues, viruses etc etc pretty much non existent. So much so that you don't even think about it really.

Over all it cut our annual computer budget by very well over 50%.

ALL 3 of our servers are now Apple. 1 Is 5 years old and 2 are 2 years old. The data robot bank is over 1000 terabytes, so the servers got their work cut out for them and we (Son now) can't afford for them to go offline.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

sprucebunny

This is my fourth MacBook. They do cost a little more upfront but they mostly have no problems. The OS is functional and things have appropriate names and hierarchies.

I only had one windows machine in the late '90s and absolutely hated it. There was no logic to the OS and it was generally full of bugs and creepy-crawlies !

I run an ad and tracker blocker which is free ( Ghostery ) and I pay for an email server that  gets rid of most junk mail. There is peace in my little computer world  ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

I've been running PC's for 20 years, never been hacked, no virus issues. I run Firefox with Ghostery, Noscript, Adblocker, and FBPurity add-ons which keep all the crap away. ;D Never had a hard drive failure, never had any of the Laptops fail, the older ones got slow as program bloat gets bigger. ;D I do hate that windows changes little subtle things all the time, like the search feature to find a program. You have to use Corona now, which I seen no point in except some HA collecting data. No idea yet what searching for say 'Powershell' is going to tell them, other than the obvious. I wonder how many $$ that is worth these days? :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

YellowHammer

MacBooks only excel if you like:
1. Instant startups from idle.
2. Seamless operation.  All programs run and must be certified by Apple as being reliable.  No crashes.
3. Complete connectivity between all Apple devices, easily and instantly.
4. No glitchy programs.
5. Complete network functionality-no drop outs.
6. iCloud coverage behind the scenes.
7. Behind the scenes automatic and intelligent backup (I've lost enough data with Windows machines that backups are crucial.)  MacBooks back up behind the scenes and I've never lost data.
8. Migration of software that's backward compatible, not causing lost data or forcing fixes.
9. Virus protection is not an issues, nor the ridiculously lengthy anti virus scans of Windows machines.
10.  Macs come with everything needed, add ons are not required. 

In my other job, for 32 years I ran Windows machines, of various manufactures.  At home I'd run Macs, and be so frustrated when I had to go back to work and deal with the idiosyncrasy of Windows.

They are more expensive, but they are better machines.  

I've lost data on Windows machines, I've had unrecoverable crashes, and had my email hacked on Windows machines.  I've never had that happen on Macs.

I use a MacBook Pro.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Larry

Do you use iMovie for your videos?

I've been doing some stuff with iMovie on my phone but its way to small to be comfortable.  Thinking about a Ipad Pro or a MacBook just so I can use that app.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

I am tired of Again.....again.  'Nother New Laptop

I ordered this today:  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

iMovie comes with Mac and is one of the the easiest and most intuitive video editors to use.  I've made videos with it, and even though its free, it's better than 90% of the video editors out there.  

I also use the other Mac product, Final Cut Pro, which is a professional video editor.  
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

clearcut

Avoid MacBook models with the butterfly keyboard and you should get a fine machine. The Touchbar gets mixed reviews. 

Most models are difficult to upgrade components like RAM and storage.  Get what you need at purchase, max RAM available for the model under consideration is suggested. 

The Apple ecosystem plays nicely with Apple products (iPhone, Apple TV) less so with outside vendors. For example, if you have to type text on an Apple TV it can automatically Handoff text entry to an iPhone or iPad. 

Siri is good at limited tasks, and works best with Apple's default apps. 

The new Apple M1 macs are receiving positive reviews. 

Carbon sequestered upon request.

Ianab

Quote from: clearcut on December 19, 2020, 11:00:13 PMMost models are difficult to upgrade components like RAM and storage.

Actually impossible as the RAM and SSD storage are soldered to the system board. Not removable, and no expansion slots. If the RAM or SSD go bad, the machine is toast. 

Having said that, they work pretty well, especially if you have an Apple "ecosystem". 

It's just their lack of serviceability and some questionable design issues puts me off them. I like to tinker with old computers, fix them up, upgrade them etc. Basically impossible in the Apple system. 

Dumpster dive some old i3 boxes, throw in a recycled Xeon CPU from China, a new SSD, max out the RAM, fit a 2nd hand GPU and you have a pretty sweet Linux box for about $100 ;D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Quote from: YellowHammer on December 19, 2020, 08:56:26 PM
I've lost data on Windows machines, I've had unrecoverable crashes, and had my email hacked on Windows machines.  I've never had that happen on Macs.

As I said earlier, I've not experienced any of those issues on my Toshiba laptops. But I used to run PowerMacs at work, and those crashed all the time. When you seen the spinning disk, you was going down. :D And the Classics always crashed with removeable media, they locked up. When I wrote my undergrad thesis the prof insisted on me using a Mac SE to write it and the Stats software on the data processing. After awhile and so many crashes he let me do my writing on a non-Mac machine. :D :D

I run robust programs and none of those have ever crashed.

Right now some hand weavers are having a heck of time with the latest Apple OS. It does not like the drivers to run compudobby looms. And it is not a software issue, definitely the OS. This software (I know of at least 2 different programs than run on Mac) is updated regularly and not flaky at all on previous versions nor does it screw up on Windows 10 or previous versions back to XP.

I regularly run a GIS and GPS software, never had issues. Office 2013 has always worked great, I use Excel more than any of the rest. Photoshop is also solid.

They finally fixed the new Facebook so it doesn't lag when typing or crash when uploading a file. Bad code, not the browser.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

I have been Mac-A-ttacked!!   :P   Will it be a good move or a $1K mistake, time will tell??   smiley_dizzy

SwampDonkey

I hope it's something simple because they are machines that only 'authorized' service centres do work on, except a few service people know where to order the parts and fix them when the warranty is gone. For far less.

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Magicman on January 14, 2021, 08:46:16 AM
I have been Mac-A-ttacked!!   :P   Will it be a good move or a $1K mistake, time will tell??   smiley_dizzy
It is one attack you will realize was not an attack at all and you will wonder whay you resisted so long. It is very probable that you will still be using it in 10 years.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Magicman

This MacBook Air is the same except different.   smiley_dizzy   There are some features that I really like and others (photos) that I am still unsure of.  I have downloaded some pictures and uploaded/posted them but I have not gotten comfortable with the resizing app yet.

A Grandson plans to come later this week and tutor both Marty and myself.   :P

I kept the "return box" beside my chair for a few days but yesterday I moved it to the closet.  I have 30 days to return it.   ::)

EDIT:  I just downloaded Firefox.  Wow, it just like coming back home..... :)

'Nother EDIT:  All Bookmarks transported!!  8)

SwampDonkey

The proverbial "back in business" ? :D

samandothers

We are a house divided.  I do PC/andriod and my bride does Mac/iphone.  There are some neat features to her Apple stuff but it does operate a bit different, at least to me.

Magicman

Thankfully the PC Laptop did not die, just slow to boot up.  Matter of fact I still have the fully operating "backup" PC Laptop, so I now have two spares.  This Mac has a Word Processor and Spreadsheet, and I am hoping that my spreadsheet files will move without me having to "code up" a new one here.  That or I can easily use the PC spreadsheets as they are.

I absolutely love this "Trackpad" and the boot up speed is phenomenal.  :o  We both have iPhones and PatD uses an iPad for her stuff.

Another EDIT:  I prefer to resize my photos (640X480) before uploading because the upload goes much faster.  With the PC, I could resize and upload several photos at the time because there is a checkbox in the top left corner.  I can not find a checkbox with the Mac, so each task has to be done individually.  I have learned how to do it, but it really slows down my picture posting.  :-X

And maybe the last EDIT:  I already had/have an "Image Resize" App on my phone so my dilemma is solved.  :)  I believe that this was my last hurdle to overcome before making a final decision.   ;D

clearcut

Using Finder, select the images you wish to resize.
Open or Open With Preview (Mac OS's default image viewer – a useful tool for images and PDFs)

Edit / Select ALL

Tools / Adjust Size (select appropriate options)

OK

I'm not a huge fan of Numbers nor Pages.  I prefer Google Docs and Sheets as I can use Windows or a Chromebook to edit on the go. Office and LibreOffice run the same as on Windows.

Sidecar (Mac OS) allows you to use a newer iPad as second touchscreen.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

YellowHammer

Office was was originally designed for Macs, and are easily available. So you can still use Word, Excel, etc.

Just buy Office for Mac.  

YellowHammerisms:

SwampDonkey

I use mainly Excel these days, and not just number crunching. Use it in design by making use of cell formatting and color. I have used Access quite extensively and wrote two database programs for it, one for tracking wood trucking and another for timber cruise data. I've used Word a lot in the past, but I'm not writing reports much these days, although occasionally use it to document how I did a certain task, sometimes a one of thing that I might forget in 2 years.

That's all for now. ;D

YellowHammer

Don't forget about Airdrop on your Mac, where you can transfer pictures and video effortlessly to each machine, as well as iCloud, which allows you to access them over any and every IOS device you have automatically.  Take a picture with your phone, plug in j. To charge for the evening, sit down with the Mac, and everything is there at your fingertips.  

I also love that my IPhone and Mac are always connected when within range, so when my phone rings, I simply answer it on my Mac. 

YellowHammerisms:

zinc oxide

Selecting multiple pictures on a MacBook air:

1) open photos
2) hold down command key for the duration
3)use the trackpad to 'hover' over photo
4) click trackpad to select photo
5)Remembering to hold down the command key, move cursor to next pic, click trackpad, etc

Magicman

Thank You, I needed that.  :P

I still am not doing well with Preview although I have resized a few pictures.  

EDIT:  Yeah, I resized and uploaded multiple photos!!  Your "command" tip did it.  smiley_thumbsup