iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A few pictures of the house I am building.

Started by Joe Hillmann, October 24, 2023, 02:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Hillmann

Digging the holes.

Post hole digger let's me dig holes with logging winch.

Last row of posts being placed.

Joe Hillmann

The first 30 foot log.  It took 3 years of work to get to this point.

A few more layers

Lifting the first full log over the windows.  It did not go well. 

Joe Hillmann

Main beam for second floor set.  It took all day to get this beam in place.

A few more layers.

Ridge beam in place.  It took one day to get things set up and another day to get the beam set in place.  It was the scariest part of the entire build.

Joe Hillmann

Where it is now waiting for the rain to stop.

JRWoodchuck

Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

Joe Hillmann

I got temporary eaves and a roof on it.  I was nailing the roof on using the car headlights to see and the next morning we had snow.

My plan now is put a tent around the entire thing so I can work on the interior this winter.  I also want to get some solar electric panels and solar heat panels hooked up so I have power and a bit of heat while working on it.

Sod saw

Joe,  I know what solar panels are but I have never heard of solar heating panels.

Can you describe them?

Thanks and looks like a fun build.

LT 40 hyd.          Solar Kiln.          Misc necessary toys.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

Joe Hillmann

It is a box about 4'x7' and 6 inches thick.  With insulated sides and bottom and a glass top.  About 3 inches off the bottom there is a sheet of black aluminum.  Sun shines on it and it and IR from the sun warms up the black aluminum, that transfers heat to the air and natural conduction or a fan blows the warm air to where you want to heat.  I usually hook them up to a electric radiator fan connected directly (no controller, battery or inverter) to a solar electric panel.  That way any time the sun is shining enough to make heat it is also shining enough to run the fan. That way there is no need for thermostats to prevent it cooling when the sun isnt shining.

nopoint

Interesting build. What was the deciding factor on your foundation choice? Looks like you are not afraid of hard work. How will you support your floor? I like your allis collection. Have one that I put a mid mount mower on as well and cut a little hay with. 

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: nopoint on November 09, 2023, 12:34:34 PM
Interesting build. What was the deciding factor on your foundation choice? Looks like you are not afraid of hard work. How will you support your floor? I like your allis collection. Have one that I put a mid mount mower on as well and cut a little hay with.
The foundation choices came down to cost and what I could get my hands on.  Some of those posts are dug 7 feet below ground.  I may eventually put a basement under it and by making the posts a and footings be below eventual basement floor it should make it easier to dig out a small section at a time without worrying about figuring out how to support it then. It took longer to dig the holes than to put up the walls and roof.
I am not sure on the floors yet.  Other than they are logs flattened on one side.  I may cut shallow pockets into the beams and walls and also use joist hangers.  Or I may only use joist hangers.  I am leaning towards pockets on the walls and joist hangers on the central beams.  Or I could put pockets in the walls and run the floor joists above the main beams.
At the moment I am sanding the entire interior than joists are my next problem to figure out.

Joe Hillmann

I have 5 of those allis's.  The rusty one is what I did all of my logging with for the house as well as what I used to cut and bale hay.    I got the orange one running this summer.  It has a wider rear axle so the rusty one now is only used in spots where I need the narrowness.

Thank You Sponsors!