iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying 5/4 Poplar in Georgia

Started by dollar, January 09, 2022, 04:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dollar

I have about 3000 board feet of 5/4 Poplar I just milled and I am asking for advise on the fasted way to dry correctly in Northeast Georgia.
It is currently stacked and stickered on my pallets.
I have a Solar Kiln that is about to be empty.
Should I air dry with fans for three or four weeks then put in my solar kiln until its around 10%?
Or would it be faster to put in the solar kiln now and dry down to around 10%?
Amy good advise is appreciated.

scsmith42

Unless your solar kiln is really large, you will probably dry more quickly by putting fans on it and accelerating air drying for a few weeks, and then finishing it in the solar kiln.

That's presuming that your temperatures are high enough to air dry.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

YellowHammer

If you solar kiln a load of wet poplar in the winter you will sticker stain it.  Put some fans on it, turn them on high, and give it a few weeks, then finish in the kiln.   
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

To day time loading, etc., consider stacking in the solar kiln and leave the doors wide open, securely fastened so they don't get caught in the wind.  Run the kiln fans during daylight
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

customsawyer

I would put at least 2 large fans blowing through the stack. If 16' I would add another. The fans will dry it faster than the a kiln the first few weeks. We're not talking about little fans. I use 48" and 36" inch fans.  My 36" fan actually has a littler higher fan speed than the 48" fans. The 48" fans move more air which is what does the drying.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

dollar

Thank you guys.

I put fans on them outside yesterday.

I'll post how the drying process goes!

Thank You Sponsors!