iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What moister meter to buy?

Started by Mesquite cutter, January 06, 2023, 06:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesquite cutter

I am undecided on what moister meter to buy.   There are so many out there.  I was looking at the Wagner brand.  Even that brand has many different models to pick from.   I plan on using it to measure MC on slabs ranging from 1 inch to 6 inches thick.  It will many be used on mesquite, oak and ash.  What brand do ya'll recommend?

Thanks 
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill
Youtube:  Retired DIY Guy

doc henderson

It depends on the use.  I think for thick stuff, I would like the painless Wagner.  that is all I really use.  It becomes relative at some point as they only penetrate so far.  I have one I have had for 7 years and still my daily "beater".  I have one of the new ones, and I leave it in the case in a drawer and take it out for special occasions.  they work well.  I leave mine set at 55 for specific gravity.  that covers most hardwoods I mill.  I will check pine and know that the number will be low for the real M.C., but can follow the water loss.  It works great for what I do, but if I got a kiln, I may add the Delmhorst.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Stephen1

What is the final use of the wood. Are you kiln drying? Are selling the wood?
Anything over 2" thick needs a probe. Delmorst J2000 or the newer model with the hammer probe.
I like the Wagner and when I have another spare  $500 I will buy the surface meter.
I am adding this 
I have the J-2000 with the hammer probe now and could not operate without it. It is imperative that I know what the moisture content is at the centre of the thick wood. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

K-Guy

I only recommend pin type only, like the one in the link below. Pinless meters don't always read thicker material well.

https://www.nyle.com/lumber-drying-systems/kiln-store/kiln-accessories-2/delmhorst/delmhorst-jx30-moisture-meter-package/
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Mesquite cutter

Quote from: Stephen1 on January 06, 2023, 09:36:46 AM
What is the final use of the wood. Are you kiln drying? Are selling the wood?
Anything over 2" thick needs a probe. Delmorst J2000 or the newer model with the hammer probe.
I like the Wagner and when I have another spare  $500 I will buy the surface meter.
I am adding this
I have the J-2000 with the hammer probe now and could not operate without it. It is imperative that I know what the moisture content is at the centre of the thick wood.
For now, I am only selling the slabs.   Most of the slabs are 2 inches or thinner.   I have a few slabs that are cut for fireplace mantels but not many.  
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill

Mesquite cutter

Quote from: K-Guy on January 06, 2023, 09:40:46 AM

I only recommend pin type only, like the one in the link below. Pinless meters don't always read thicker material well.

https://www.nyle.com/lumber-drying-systems/kiln-store/kiln-accessories-2/delmhorst/delmhorst-jx30-moisture-meter-package/
Wow, the price is bit steep but I am sure it will eliminate errors.    Right now most of my customers are purchasing the mesquite wood air dried.   I let them know before they buy.   I have not had any problems.    I want to build the solar kiln so I can pick up the serious wood worker that wants dried wood.   And I will be able to sell the slabs for a bit more money.  
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill

Larry

I have three.  The first two I bought 28 years ago.  One was a Wagner pinless and the other was a Electrophysics, both pretty high end for the time.  The third is a Delmhorst J-2000 which is fairly new.  The Wagner still gives good readings but a bit on the high side compared to oven dry.  The Electrophysics has been flaky for a couple of years now.  The J-2000 has always been closest to oven dry.

I mostly use the J-2000 in the kiln but use the Wagner a lot to check lumber in storage or if I want to check for wet spots.

A little story.  I sawed a lot of 10/4 walnut live edge slabs for a guy.  He air drys than sometimes gets a few kiln dried.  Wanting to check the MC he bought a meter at Harbor Freight.  He called and said his air dried slabs were reading 7%.  A bit skeptical he brought his meter out to check against mind.  His meter read 7% on everything!!! no matter how wet.  Quick thinking on my part I could get rid of my kiln and buy his meter. :D :D :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!