The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: National FFA Forestry Results (Pictures too)  (Read 8689 times)

Offline gdaddy01

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: National FFA Forestry Results (Pictures too)
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2019, 10:19:26 AM »
very good .   to teach young folks , yes

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2022, 09:49:28 PM »
I am privileged to be able to take another Florida FFA team to the National FFA Forestry Contest next month.  This year it is different than any that I've previously been associated with.  There is a virtual component that will take place next Monday.  Some of the practicums are fair game for that online portion.  This is a huge step backwards in my opinion, but we'll play the game.  The general knowledge, USGS topo map interpretation, chainsaw safety, parts and maintenance, forest management, and wood products and wood ID are all potential online practicums.  I suspect they will have a general knowledge test and one of the others, but we have to prepare for all of them.  

After taking apart a Husquvarna 545, going through the procedures to start, run and shut of the saw, safety, and basic trouble shooting, I took a picture of the team holding some of our saws.

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2022, 10:12:55 AM »
Best of luck to you and your team!

Offline aigheadish

• Senior Member x2
  • Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2022, 10:24:59 AM »
Man, that 2nd from the left is a beast of a saw!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Offline Andries

• Senior Member x2
  • Making buildings out of big curvy logs
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2022, 10:44:22 AM »
Let use know how they do at the Nationals, Caveman.
Being surrrounded by that much youth and enthusiasm would be inspirational.
Good luck!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2022, 10:39:50 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement.  We have our challenges with the weather, scheduling of the online portion and the fact that two of them are now out of school and I seldom see them.  The big saw is a 3120 Husqvarna.  It came into the country with Danish markings so it could not be sold retail.  We bought it to use to slab big stuff.  It still has not tasted gas.  I would not want to swing it all day.
The saws pictured are all Husqvarna.  From the left, a 572xp, 3120 xp, 359 and a 545.  We bought the 572's to replace the 365 that I killed by dropping a log on it while answering a phone call.  So far, the 572 has been a good saw but the 365 is still my favorite (I bought it for $100 off of a Maine transplant off of CL).  I did like the 572 enough to buy another two days after the first.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2022, 05:57:24 AM »
Yes, that saw is a biggum!!!
It's good you are helping the young ones.
WDH is proud of you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2022, 09:40:44 PM »
The team completed the contest today at Morgan-Monroe State Forest in Indiana.  We'll find out tomorrow how they did.  We had a great trip practicing and being tourists on the way up.  We left my house a little after six on Sunday morning, picked up a former student at ABAC in Ga., then drove up to Blairsville, Ga.  There, we started walking trails doing tree i.d., working on TSI scenarios, compass and pacing, measuring trees and enjoying the cool weather and beautiful mountain views.

Monday, we visited the Chattahoochee National Forest ranger station and then a nearby park which had several trees that they needed to see in real life.  Later, we went to Brass Town Bald, working in my practice there and a picnic lunch before heading back to Gobbler Knob on Rocky Top to work on team activity scenarios and compass/pacing.

Tuesday morning we quickly winterized my folks' cabin and were on the road by 6:15.  We stopped in Mammoth Cave National Park and toured Diamond Caverns before heading towards Indy.  Just as we were coming by the Louisville Convention Center on I-65, the low tire air pressure indicator on the dash of the county's Expedition came on.  I pushed the OK button on the steering wheel and declared it fixed (sarcastically).  About 10 seconds later, the left front tire blew out while we were traveling in the center lane.  It took a quarter mile to make our way to the shoulder to unload all of the luggage, get the girls out of the car and determine that the jack engineering proficiency has diminished  since my truck was built.  We got the tire changed and the students logged on to catch the on-line orientation meeting while I stopped at the corner of Crack and Murder to air up the newly installed spare.

This morning the team boarded a bus at the Indiana State Fair Grounds to go to Morgan-Monroe State Park.  It was a challenging event and they all missed some tree i.d. that they should not have.  Results will be announced tomorrow night.

The last picture is after the contest and after we walked through the dendro portion together.  They were exhausted, a little frustrated and relieved to be finished. 

Offline customsawyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Sawyer
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2022, 06:06:21 AM »
You did well my friend. Ole Danny is just a grinning that grin of his. The memories you have made over the years for those young minds is amazing. You should be proud.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head planer, 30" double surface planer, Lucus dedicated slaber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2022, 06:24:35 PM »
Well done! Great experience and natural resource education for these young people.

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2022, 11:25:20 PM »
Thank you men.  The team did not place in the top 10 teams.  I'm not sure exactly where they placed but I should find out in a day or so.  The link FFA provided did not work for us.  This has been a good experience for all of us.

My middle daughter, Shelby, teaches with me and accompanied us this week.  She and her team won this event in 2015.  Her husband, Taeler, was on the winning team from 2014.  My youngest daughter, Madison, is on this year's team.  I had an all girl team compete in 2004 but I did not accompany them because we were expecting Madison to be born the week of the event.  She arrived the next week, 18 years ago.

I am thankful for this trip and the opportunity for this group to experience the things they have since we started preparing for this week.  They were the first forestry team in George Jenkins High School's 30-year history to make it to the National FFA Forestry CDE.  

There were so many times over the past few days I wanted to ask Danny a question or two.  

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2022, 07:33:44 AM »
What you have given them is not going to gather dust on a shelf. That's big stuff  8)

They know how to keep cool, calm and collected on a stretch of highway whose mere mention draws puckers from any adventurer. I dread that tangle for an hour before shooting the rapids :D.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2022, 08:22:58 AM »
You are doing good and they are doing good because of you!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Andries

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2022, 09:13:13 AM »
Caveman, your description of the trip was excellent, a good read. Youre a natural born teacher and an example for us all to give back to our people and communities.
Theres some unusual street names though . 😂😂. . I stopped at the corner of Crack and Murder to air up the newly installed spare. 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2022, 09:15:44 AM »
I may have embellished a little to protect the innocent regarding the street names.
Caveman

Offline Andries

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2022, 09:47:19 AM »
Every good story has some spin to it and all of us, past and present, thank you for it. 👍
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2022, 06:25:01 PM »
I'm right certain that's where my muffler fell off and I didn't stop for another 6 hours  :D
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2022, 09:23:29 AM »
As a supplement to the above FFA competion: I thought I'd mention the fact that 4H also has a Forestry Competion. We have in our county a fairly new Ag teacher who has already been named as a Teacher of the Year and has a very active FFA. Many years ago we had a County Agent who did the 4H version, but I'll be honest-he wasn't a great agent as actually lazy overall. But creds to him for what he did with forestry in a county where it's the largest industry other than school employment, in a area where it's the largest by far.
I considered doing the 4H version now after asking the ag teacher (whom I know) what his thoughts are, but fact is I'm too busy with a build project for now.
My main point here is to say that one version of forestry competion might be a better fit in your area, than the other?
Our ag teacher has a large greenhouse plus a donated AppHarvest growing trailer (they are nearby in Morehead, KY and have a 60 acre tomato operation under one roof) plus his class load, so not very likely he'll have time to actually do that. Later on I might volunteer, but not for now. There are better qualified folks who live here than I, like a real forester, but he stays hid out, sort of. Not sure he even works now? 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Cradle of Forestry - Pisgah National Forest in North Carolina

Started by warren46 on General Board

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2014, 07:49:42 AM
by Magicman
xx
MDNR Urban & Community Forestry Project/PICTURES!

Started by AtLast on Sawmills and Milling

3 Replies
Last post November 03, 2003, 05:43:02 PM
by Tom
xx
what to do for the best results?

Started by paul case on Ask The Forester

24 Replies
Last post October 13, 2011, 05:30:08 PM
by SwampDonkey
xx
Shoot Out Results