iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

National FFA Forestry Results (Pictures too)

Started by caveman, November 02, 2014, 12:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

Thank you men.  The team did not place in the top 10 teams.  I'm not sure exactly where they placed but I should find out in a day or so.  The link FFA provided did not work for us.  This has been a good experience for all of us.

My middle daughter, Shelby, teaches with me and accompanied us this week.  She and her team won this event in 2015.  Her husband, Taeler, was on the winning team from 2014.  My youngest daughter, Madison, is on this year's team.  I had an all girl team compete in 2004 but I did not accompany them because we were expecting Madison to be born the week of the event.  She arrived the next week, 18 years ago.

I am thankful for this trip and the opportunity for this group to experience the things they have since we started preparing for this week.  They were the first forestry team in George Jenkins High School's 30-year history to make it to the National FFA Forestry CDE.  

There were so many times over the past few days I wanted to ask Danny a question or two.  
Caveman

Don P

What you have given them is not going to gather dust on a shelf. That's big stuff  8)

They know how to keep cool, calm and collected on a stretch of highway whose mere mention draws puckers from any adventurer. I dread that tangle for an hour before shooting the rapids :D.

thecfarm

You are doing good and they are doing good because of you!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Andries

Caveman, your description of the trip was excellent, a good read. You're a natural born teacher and an example for us all to give back to our people and communities.
There's some unusual street names though . 😂😂. . I stopped at the corner of Crack and Murder to air up the newly installed spare. 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

caveman

I may have embellished a little to protect the innocent regarding the street names.
Caveman

Andries

Every good story has some 'spin' to it and all of us, past and present, thank you for it. 👍
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Don P

I'm right certain that's where my muffler fell off and I didn't stop for another 6 hours  :D

kantuckid

As a supplement to the above FFA competion: I thought I'd mention the fact that 4H also has a Forestry Competion. We have in our county a fairly new Ag teacher who has already been named as a Teacher of the Year and has a very active FFA. Many years ago we had a County Agent who did the 4H version, but I'll be honest-he wasn't a great agent as actually lazy overall. But creds to him for what he did with forestry in a county where it's the largest industry other than school employment, in a area where it's the largest by far.
I considered doing the 4H version now after asking the ag teacher (whom I know) what his thoughts are, but fact is I'm too busy with a build project for now.
My main point here is to say that one version of forestry competion might be a better fit in your area, than the other?
Our ag teacher has a large greenhouse plus a donated AppHarvest growing trailer (they are nearby in Morehead, KY and have a 60 acre tomato operation under one roof) plus his class load, so not very likely he'll have time to actually do that. Later on I might volunteer, but not for now. There are better qualified folks who live here than I, like a real forester, but he stays hid out, sort of. Not sure he even works now? 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

caveman

Last month, about a week after we got back from the national forestry contest in Indiana, we carried eight different students to Lake Kissimmee State Park to compete in the district contest.  The two teams finished first and second.  In about half an hour, the top five of those students will meet me at my house to go to Perry, Fl for the state forestry contest.  The winners on Thursday will advance to the national contest which will be held next October in Indiana.  Our team is comprised of some really sharp young folks, but they have not practiced some aspects of the contest as much as they should have (timber estimation especially).  We will make several stops on the 192-mile trip today to practice.

The weather here since before Thanksgiving has been "chamber of commerce" weather.  That will change tomorrow.  There is a cold front with a line of storms that should come through Perry tomorrow morning around 10.  The contest starts at 9.  This 40-50°, windy, rainy weather will present some additional challenges.  Regardless of the outcome, I'm glad to be able to take another group to compete.  
Caveman

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

caveman

Thank you, Jake.  We drove a couple hundred miles today and walked several more in the woods looking trees, insects, diseases, measuring trees, and compass and pacing.  After supper, they did a dendrology practice test.  Sent them to their rooms around 9:45.  Tomorrow will likely be cool and rainy.  There will be some very competitive teams.  I still have to figure out which four of the five students I brought will compete.  Each time I think I have it figured out, one of them will surprise me one way or the other.  Regardless of how they end up tomorrow, they have learned a lot and have had a good experience.  
Caveman

caveman

The team ended up 2nd overall to a very well-prepared Lafayette High School team.  The weather was much better than the forecast.  If I don't retire at the end of this year, I hope to be able to bring three of them back next year (two will graduate).

The girl on the right was the alternate today since we could only have a four-person team.

Caveman

Andries

Congratulations Kyle!
Job well done, and congrats to your students too; part of a great, practical education.
Just second . . . . RETIRE? at your tender years?   :D :) :D
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

caveman

Andries, I'm seriously considering it.  Earlier in the week, I challenged a group of students to give me a reason not to retire.
Caveman

customsawyer

Great job with the students. It has to be rewarding to look back on all of the kids lives that you have touched. Best of luck with your future choice.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

petefrom bearswamp

Im thinking that your students are very privileged  to have such an engaged teacher.
Congrats to both your students and you.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

caveman

Thank you, Pete.  I had to move the aspen leaves that you sent me that are pinned to my bulletin board to make room for their awards.  They are now beside the spruce samples.  I wish we were going to be able to go to nationals again next year, but Lafayette is deserving.  We may try to make a run at the nursery and landscape contest.
Caveman

Ron Scott

~Ron

caveman

The team that beat our team last December is heading to my place today.  I'm going to set up a practice for them and discuss with them about what to expect when they compete next month in Indiana.  Their FFA advisor is a young lady who is one of the best in the business.  

Our team will compete next month in the district contest.  If they can get by the other teams in the district, they will advance to the state contest, which will be held in November.  I'm not sure where the state contest will be held since the location in Perry was decimated by Idalia.
Caveman

Jeff

So proud of your work and guidance my friend.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

customsawyer

I'm cheering y'all on from here. We all know that Danny is smiling down on you and your efforts.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

caveman

Thanks, Buddy.  Danny was the master at this stuff.  
Some of the samples that Pete sent me were still good enough to use today.  Spruces give me fits, but when they are right in front of you, they are much easier.  The Aspens were also much appreciated. 

We spent about four hours today going over a team activity, chainsaws, disorders, and a few other things.  

I looked up and the female FFA advisor was sitting in my 74 Bronco.  I asked her if she knew how to drive a stick shift.  She did not and left before I got it fired up and out in the yard.  We had a good time and John and I even got a little saw job in later in the day.  This was the first comfortable day to be outside in months.

Two Florida Forestry Service foresters accompanied the team.  They are helping to train them.  It was good to see these fellows too.  They both spend part of their summers at Florida's FFA forestry camp.  

Caveman

slider

Caveman we are all so proud of you mainly for your time and the guidance you pass on to these young folks. I still remember my FFA teacher from many years ago. He taught us so much and was like you a fine man.
al glenn

Thank You Sponsors!