iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lt40 hydraulic problem

Started by wolf nemeth, May 08, 2015, 08:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolf nemeth

Well, just when I thought I'd finally experienced every common problem known to  WM owners, I have another one.......
     Everything wash going smoothly until just before quitting time yesterday. then  the hydraulic levers felt strange---it didn't matter which lever, it felt like something was hitting or grinding in the system.
So I took off the cover, suspecting low fluid level, and unscrewed the cap.Then, when I lowered the last load back down to ground level, ye olde hydraulic fluid  bubbled out like Texas crude. About a half quart gushed out..
    About 100 hours ago, when I got the mill, I changed the fluid and filter and everything seemed all right.  Now I'm afraid to run it.  Anybody had a similar problem or want to venture some advice?
If you  don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

If you move the hydraulics with the cap off, it will gush out. the pump is filling back up.
You may have been low on fluid, refill to amount needed and see if it works / sounds any better.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

beenthere

Or look for air coming in through a suction line and causing the oil to foam... and expand... and have slow movement.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

MartyParsons

Hello,
If you have a LT40 Super with two pumps one pump is not working. Need more information. How many hours?
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

wolf nemeth

It's an lt40HD with about 3600 hours, year 2000.  One pump.
In terms of  possibly being low on fluid,  how is that possible when  the tank overflowed with all the hydraulics set to 'zero'? I'm not arguing, just confuddled...... and the original situation was feeling some bumps when I  used any hydraulic lever.
    Air in the line sounds like a possibility, but the fluid gushing out was not foamy.    Well, I'm headed back out there today  with some  Dexron and will report back. thanks for the input!

MartyParsons

The oil level should be 1/2 in from the top of the res. with all cylinders closes. If you fill it up and the cylinders are extended you will push some of the oil out.
M
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Ga Mtn Man

Hmmm...that might explain why the inside of my hydro box is covered with fluid ::).
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Ohio_Bill

Good morning,  like others have said, with the cap off oil will come out. The noise you are hearing i would suspect is from the pump motor, brushes or just worn out .
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Chuck White

Not to side-track this thread, but......

Question for Marty.  My mill is a 1995 and my book says to maintain a fluid level of 4½" of Hyd Fluid in the reservoir with all cylinders collapsed.

You mention a level within ½" of the top, is that for newer mills, or is it a recommended change for all hydraulic mills?

Thanks.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

wolf nemeth

Well, I  got back to the mill and collapsed all the hydraulics; my fluid level was just about half a tankfull. so I added several ounces, started thing up, and sawed a couple of logs. No problems, not even the knocking feeling in the  valve handles.
   Since I live by the adage 'don't fix it if it ain't broken'  I guess I will just wait until the really obvious problem develops.
Thanks for all the input I love this forum!
Wolf

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Chuck White on May 10, 2015, 11:44:06 AM
Not to side-track this thread, but......

Question for Marty.  My mill is a 1995 and my book says to maintain a fluid level of 4½" of Hyd Fluid in the reservoir with all cylinders collapsed.

You mention a level within ½" of the top, is that for newer mills, or is it a recommended change for all hydraulic mills?

Thanks.
Chuck, might that not be about the same thing, 4-1/2 from the bottom = 1/2" from the top?  My book says 3/4 from the top.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

I couldn't really tell you without going out and checking.

I use a wire dipstick that I've been using since I've had the mill and I maintain 4½ of hyd fluid.

I don't think it's within ½-¾" of the top though!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

MartyParsons

Hello,
I think you will find there is some variables to the level. It does not need to be exactly on the mark. There needs to enough oil in the res. so the pump does suck air and not to much when you cycle the cylinders the the oil does not purge out or blow the air breather ( green sponge) off.  Early mills have a screw later pumps have a black cap with the green sponge. I get a chance I will read the exact paragraph in the book and post.
The later (newer) pumps you can look in the vent hole and see if the pump is covered in hyd oil. There are two holes on top of the res. one is the vent and fill hole the other is for other applications for oil return.
Hope this helps!
Marty

Chuck White

Thanks for the response, Marty!

prittgers

When we do WM training here in Alaska, we mention that those filters are less than $15.00.  Those pumps, on the other hand, tend to cost a bit more. 

In the winter if you're not using your mill, put the lift arms up in the parked position so that as moisture condenses, it doesn't settle down in the bottom of the cylinders.  One of our customers has replaced the little safety fuses 2x because of ice forming and breaking them.

Hydraulics are really nice to have aren't they!
Parker Rittgers
Professional Sawyer, Retired, well, not really !
WoodMizer Alaska | 907.360.2497 cell 336.5143 office BevelSider.com ? Everything BevelSider
prittgers@aksamill.com

Thank You Sponsors!