iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

want to make a spit

Started by gary, July 16, 2009, 02:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary

Has anyone ever made a spit from a mangle? I have the mangle. Now I need to figure out how to make it into a spit.

Sprucegum

??? What's a mangle?  ???

Weekend_Sawyer

You mean like an old wringer from a washer?

no I havn't but I don't see why you couldn't.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

beenthere

A mangle is a rotating iron for removing wrinkles from clothes. Faster way to iron than a flat iron and ironing board.

Should make a good spit if turning is what you are after. Might not have enough power for a 200# hog

Here are some listed with pics on eBay

http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=mangle&_armrs=1

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Sprucegum

8) That technology has passed us poor folks by completely. Most everyone has given up on the flat irons too. We all got wrinkles now  :(

From what I can see - ya got a motor and a chain drive. Now all you need is long rod with the right chain sprocket and a couple bushings  ;)

A lot of torque is not required as long as you can get the load balanced.

Texas Ranger

Mangle got its name for what happens when you get your hand caught in it.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

LeeB

They work good for shelling crabs or so I've been told.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Fla._Deadheader

My Mom plumb wore out 2 of them manglers. Never did see a flat iron in her hands.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

gary

I finished the spit, and  tried it out yesterday. It worked good. Since it didn't happen without pictures,here are a couple of the test cook.

A stainless steel pipe for cooking on was going to cost over $100.00 so I used a solid steel rod. I seasoned the rod like you would a new cast iron pan. Just to be safe though I wrapped the rod in aluminum foil where the chickens were. 

Sprucegum

8) That's a mighty fine looking unit  8)

I wouldn't worry about the steel rod so long as you treat it like you do your cast iron pans.

gary

The only time I would have to have stainless is, if I were to set it up somewhere and sell food .

nas

Dang! My mouth started watering just looking at the pictures musteat_1 digin1 food2
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

easymoney

someone mentioned crabs. i would not want to use one to try to get rid of crabs. it sounds too painful. :-[

Ironmower

I like seenin' things get a second life. So, how'd the test subjects turn out?
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

gary

Weekend_Sawyer

I'll bet they were. What kind of wood did you use?
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

gary

For that fire I used mostly maple and a little bit of apple.  I was buying a bundle of slabs every year for cooking. Until at one of our parties a guest said that he would bring us some wood for our next party. He brought us a truck load of broken pallets. That turned out to be the best wood for cooking. Now I'm waiting for him to get me another truck load.

Thank You Sponsors!