iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Squeaking FAO

Started by Magicman, June 13, 2020, 12:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

One of my FAO's has been complaining during the last couple of setups, so it was time....

I had tried to squirt up inside which did no good so I removed the FAO and slid the bottom section off revealing the Acme screw.

I needed a paddle to reach the top end of the Acme screw so what better to use than Walnut. I also greased the sides where the "nut" may rub.

I also greased both sides of the thrust washer below the adjusting nut.  Now it is no squeaks, no jams, no errors.  ;D  There are 5 more FAO's and even though it only took 30 minutes, they will have to squeak and get my attention before they get their turn.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

donbj

It's that old saying, "squeaky wheel gets the grease". Though an out rigger in this case! :D
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

moosehunter

Squeaky or not, I want FA0s!!! Last winter I spent all my maintenance$$ on truck repair. The year before I did the Crank shaft support bearing. Maybe this coming winter.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

terrifictimbersllc

I thought from the title there was going to be a mouse in there. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Stephen1

Mine have grease nipples which I found by accident last week. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Magicman

Mine are 2012 models so maybe pre-nipples??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

Mine were 2015, none either. Maybe they will develop?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

I can't see how a zerk could grease the Acme rod because the nut travels.  Hmm, da saga of da hidden nipples continues.

Stephen1

I'm at the shop sawing this week and will be servicing the mill. I will have a look again and take some pics.
 I didn't know about the nipples until the bottom leg fell out when I unscrewed to far. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Magicman

My bottom legs will fall out because they ain't attached to anything.  Just floating inside of the main housing.  This is how I reached the Acme screw.  I can't unscrew too far because it will bottom out and stop turning.

Magicman

Today I "Stopped the Squawk".

My FAO's are 2012 issue and there is no way to adequately grease the Acme bolts/nuts although I understand that now there is an Alemite?  Last year I removed one FAO and greased the Acme bolt and nut but there were 5 more needing some attention.  Yes I probably could have drilled and added an Alemite in the Acme nut but this may very well be better.

This morning Marty came by and I told him what my plans were and he made another suggestion; Drill a hole and give the Acme bolt a squirt.

Which is what I did.  ΒΌ" hole and chamfered with a 3/8 bit.

Lowered about an inch or so and I had access to the bolt and the top of the nut.  90W probably would have been better but ATF is what I had and is what I squirted into the hole.

Yup, some ran out of the bottom so I got it well saturated.

The rear FAO is completely different so I drilled through the side which worked very well.

Results??  I wish that I had made a recording/video of the squeaking and squawking beforehand because now it is smooth as silk and absolutely quite.

terrifictimbersllc

I had to look up Alemite, as it sounded like one of the tribes that didn't get along well with the Israelites and I had no idea what it would be doing in a woodmizer FAO.

Anyway my newer 2019 sawmill does have grease zerks on the FAOs.  But they are sort of hard to find, first you have to find the hole where are you would look for one,  Then turn the crank until the Alemite appears in the hole. Then you have to be able to get the grease gun on it.

So it seems like your invention here might be preferable for a fast routine drenching of the screw inside.

barbender

Yes, cursed be the Alemites!!😂😂
Too many irons in the fire

WV Sawmiller

The ultimate in minority abuse. :(
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

Quote from: barbender on October 21, 2021, 04:07:47 PM
Yes, cursed be the Alemites!!😂😂
They are a greasy lot with rounded heads small necks an one spring loaded ball bearing for a brain. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

GAB

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on October 21, 2021, 04:00:57 PM
I had to look up Alemite, as it sounded like one of the tribes that didn't get along well with the Israelites and I had no idea what it would be doing in a woodmizer FAO.
TT
How far into the back country did you reside as a child?
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Thank You Sponsors!