iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Battery operated chain saws

Started by ForestMan, January 03, 2018, 04:02:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

starmac

Holmentree, does the batteries for the husky have a gage on them?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

HolmenTree

Quote from: starmac on January 08, 2018, 09:32:59 PM
Holmentree, does the batteries for the husky have a gage on them?
Yes the battery has 4 green light bars that shows the level of charge . Stihl's
battery has the same feature.
Quote from: zoltar on January 08, 2018, 09:15:35 PM
HolmenTree, in case you haven't seen it, you might want to check out this comparison of MSA 160T and T536:
The video is from 2014, so it looks like both models were introduced around the same time. As you said yourself, they've kept introducing new batteries since then, but it doesn't look like much has happened with the saws themselves in the last four years. Not much difference between these two in cutting performance either, according to this video (T536 is slightly faster if you put the Stihl chain on it). Probably comes down to price, personal preference, ergonomics, and dealer support.
Yes that's the reason I run the Stihl 71PM chain and it's bar on my Husqvarna T536 . Increases cutting speed and lowers saw weight
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

ChugiakTinkerer

Does anyone have experience running a lithium ion saw in temperatures well below freezing?
Woodland Mills HM130

HolmenTree

Quote from: ChugiakTinkerer on January 09, 2018, 07:47:38 PM
Does anyone have experience running a lithium ion saw in temperatures well below freezing?
I haven't yet but I just went out and checked the battery on my saw that's being sitting out in the freezing cold shed for about 3 months.
It's still fully charged and spins over really fast when I squeezed the trigger.
It was over 40 below here all last week and still 22 below F wind chill at the moment.

starmac

Thanks for that info, I knew they worked better in cold weather, but that is somewhat better than I had hoped for.  I have used some of my portable tools outside in the cold extensively, but never left them out in it, as the shop is heated.

HolmenTree

Battery technology has come along ways in the last few years with Li ion.
The old NiCad has had its place.

I keep all my saws in a outside lock up cold storage shed. I think the cold temps preserve them better like a meat locker  :D
No honestly I don't like the gas fumes of them in my heated work shop. But I guess I could keep the battery saw where it's warm .

John Mc

Lithium-Ion batteries have significantly better cold weather performance than NiCad or Alkaline batteries (which is why we always switched the batteries in our headlamps to Lithium when winter camping).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

ChugiakTinkerer

Thanks for that info HolmenTree and John Mc.  I've been contemplating a battery chainsaw for a while but was unsure how well they perform for winter use.  Sounds like my only concern should be using the right bar oil.
Woodland Mills HM130

ChugiakTinkerer

I picked up a Stihl MSA 120 B-CQ today for my wife.  It earned me a big grin and a kiss.  We're doing some clearing on our property this weekend and it will allow us to work together much more effectively.  Carburated power tools vex her, so this baby should be perfect.  Temps look to be around 20 F at the cabin, so it shouldn't be too stressful on saws or selves.  I'll report back on Tuesday.

And thank you Stihl for supporting the forum.  Following the banner link pointed me to the nearest dealer with the saw in stock.
Woodland Mills HM130

upnut

Chugiak Tinkerer- Was wondering how the first day out with the new saw went. Had my StihlMSA 120 out cutting trails to some bigger downed firewood trees, it has taken the place of the old Stihl 011AV that always cleared paths. Visited Alaska Michigan over the weekend, on my way to visit our daughter who just moved back from five years living in Anchorage. She still looks for moose when she steps out the door... :D

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

petefrom bearswamp

I have 2
A dewalt 40v that is no good in my opinion, ergonomically bad as the chain brake is too close to the handle and i trip it when just carrying the saw.
Also the chain tightener is lacking as the chain works loose  easily and will jump off if cutting up thru the log.
My second is an Echo 56v which I havent had too long so the jury is still out.
It has 2 nuts for bar holding and the lock out is better.
Couldnt bring myself to spend the extra bucks for the Stihl.
Bought them to use on my RTV around the woods and at the mill for light cutting
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Randy Richy

I was using the Kobalt 80v battery chainsaw.  It was perfect for my uses, I usually just fell one tree at a time, 12-18" diameter, popular, locust, maple, oak and pines that the pine beetles kill. One full battery would last me for the entire tree.  I understand this is the same electric chain saw as the Greenworks 18" 80v.  Middle of December ('17) I went to start it and it wouldn't start.  Took it to Lowes who were nice to return it.  However, even with 3 in stock, they said they can't sell it because it is under "product review".  No one can tell me what is wrong, and worst, they can't tell me if they will put it back on the market.  I have a lot of 80v batteries and I am set up for the 80v chain saw.  However, I need to cut about 10 trees now.  My friend likes the Oregon 16" self sharpening 40v chain saw.  Reading the threads here, it seems like the Stihl MSA 200 C-BQ is an excellent choice.  Both are costly. 

So my questions are 1) Does anyone know what is going on with the 80v Kobalt? and 2) I am leaning towards the Oregon as a replacement- is it worth it or should I be considering anything else?

FYI, I have a sawmill and wood lot.  I cut trees in the Winter only, so there is not a heavy use need - 1 tree a day type of work.  Thanks for any replies!

starmac

My opinion and my opinion only, I think I would like to add a battery powered saw to my list of tools. I do think it would be useful, but If I needed a saw and was only going to own one, it would not be electric. That is unless there was some physical reason I could not use a gas saw anymore.

Randy Richy

Thanks Starmac.  I did try a Poulan 20" 50cc and with my multiple chemical sensitivity (mcs), I couldn't handle the fumes and the smell on the clothes.  I have 80v lawn mower, weed wacker and shrub trimmer.  It is a pleasure to work without the fumes and without their affects!   I just need a quality battery chain saw at a decent price after investing a lot in the 80v kobalt line.

DelawhereJoe

If I were you I would try to stay with the 3 major brands Stihl, Husqvarna or Echo for chainsaws. Its a terrible thing to invest in equipment that a company doesn't make themselves but just rebrands and you go into that store and see the shelf completely empty as if it never exsisted. I do hear many good things about the Oregon saws, but I would probably just dump the money into Stihl or Husqvarna.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

starmac

I understand where you are coming from. I can't help, other than to say that the best reviews bar none have come from Holmen tree and he is using his commercially. So far that has been husky, but only because the stihl he wants to try hasn't been available, I like husky gas saws, have a great dealer for huskys, so would probably lean that direction myself.

Randy Richy

Thanks Joe and starmac - for those interested, I have some data listed below from my internet research.  I didn't try to find the best price, I just looked for prices.  Joe, I hear you abou the the Husqvarna - The 120i has the best price, sold at lowes (they refunded the kobalt on a store card) but I don't know if it will hold up to my weekend winter warrior needs. I do like the automatic sharpener on the Oregon and the price is reasonable.  The Stihl and Husq 536 seems like great product, great reviews and even greater price.

Joe you have me leaning towards the Husq 201i.  I am still uncertain.  Thanks for the recommendations!

Stihl MSA 200C-BQ       $380.00    Charger    $89.00    Battery (1)    $199.00        $668.00

Oregon CS300       $369.99    W Slow Charger and 4 Ah battery      4Ah battery          $369.99

Husqvarna 120i 40-volt       $249.00    with charger and 40v 4Ah battery                $249.00

Husqvarna 536Li 40-volt       $399.95    Charger    $129.95    4Ah battery   159.95       $689.85

starmac

Wow, that is a considerable difference between the two huskies,  makes a guy wonder.

Randy Richy

Quote from: Randy Richy on January 31, 2018, 06:53:33 PMHusqvarna 120i 40-volt       $249.00    with charger and 40v 4Ah battery                $249.00

For those that are interested, I purchased the 120i.  Here is a review of the 120i with two 4Ahr batteries and the charger that came with the unit.

I used the 120i to take down several 10" - 14" trees, delimbed and cut into logs for milling.  The battery would last about 30 minutes.  I would put the battery on the charger and start with the other battery.  30 minutes later, that battery would need charging.  However, the charger took 1 hr 50 min the first time to charge.  So this was about an hour of down time. They sell another charger for about $140 I think that will charge faster.

The chain saw, at 14" performed respectively. It would often stop if I got to aggressive in the cut and I would have to pull it out and restart.  This happened a lot until I just had to be "slow" in the cut and then it would stay on without cutting off.

With a new chain, even going slow worked in all aspects except the speed in the cut.  The chainsaw pulls significant torque at the expense of the chain.  A new chain lasted 1 hour while reasonably sharp and perhaps another hour while being dull to unusable. 

For my purposes, using just the 120i in a single person operation to take several trees and process them, there was too much down time to charge the batteries and also too much interrupting in work to sharpen the chain.  I returned the 120i.

I do believe this one would be a great option for someone with short time operations, someone who is working in tandem - a stronger chainsaw to fell trees while the 120i used to delimb it.  The literature did say it was for light duty and perhaps I was using it for more than it was design for.  Although a solid chainsaw, for my purposes, it didn't let me do a days job with it - a one day job turned into a 2 day job with the down time.  But the breaks were nice!  :-)

starmac

According to Hollmen, it pays to change the chain out to a certain steel chain, which is thin kerf and takes less effort.

I think he uses the pro, more expensive model, which I would imagine makes quite a bit of difference, much like the gas saws.
Thanks for the review.

HolmenTree

Randy, I think your 120i's battery is the same as what's on my T536 LiXP. 
Either buy a stronger charger what I have or buy a 3rd battery. 

starmac,
Yes the only alternative for the best edge holding, better cutting performance and longer battery life is converting the Husqvarna battery saws over to 1/4" pitch and run the Stihl 71PM chain .
I'm not sure if the optional 1/4 spur sprocket on my 536 will fit the 120i.
But there may be one available for the 120i.
The market for 1/4" is primary the chainsaw carving market but with this new .043 Stihl 71PM chain everyone is covered.
Very nice high quality Swiss made chain. Takes a little 1/8" file.

HolmenTree

BTW you need to run the 1/4" pitch Stihl bar too.
Just a minor modification using a drill press to drill a couple small holes so it fits the Husqvarna.

For new buyers my best advice is buy a Stihl battery saw in the first place.

weimedog

Of course you would.

A price difference like that allows for the purchase of additional batteries. While another bar/chain option might be some what better, the ones that come with the all those saw cut wood as designed. I too have a little time on a as delivered 120i. A no brainer at that price point for around the yard work and even the occasional blow down (if its under 12inch). Like all those options. when in storage...that could last a year, no gas to go bad. No alcohol degraded carb and fuel hoses, no bar oil on the garage floor. Can even keep one in the car...no gas fumes. As this technology develops my bet is they eventually catch more and more of the gas saw market. At $250 the Husqvarna is an awesome deal within the existing market place......next year? Who knows. But why waste time buying and adapting anything. The thing works as is pretty well.

Stihl also has this option:
MSE 170 C-BQ - $339.95
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

tawilson

I picked up a 120i last summer. Went to use it yesterday and the battery showed no life, even when plugged into the charger. I charged it last time I used it in December and it's been inside since then. Very pleased to find out Husky battery equipment has a 3 year warranty, including batteries. So pleased I bought another battery for it.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

tawilson

I just checked the Stihl site and they have a 3 year warranty on their battery equipment too. Good for both of them.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Thank You Sponsors!