iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill shed

Started by mhasel, October 07, 2014, 09:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mhasel

How much headroom inside for the mill are you allowing? I like the idea of the raised tie chord, I used a similar design on a wood stove shed covering my outdoor Central Boiler

brianb88

Those are some mighty fine looking sheds you fellas have. 
Measure twice, cut once

drobertson

Quote from: beenthere on October 13, 2014, 09:49:59 PM
ozark
Early 60's tractors
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/0/1/15-allis-chalmers-d12.html
Wow! thanks beenthere!  I have never seen this,  I was going on what I was told,, it does have good power for a little tractor,  picked it up for a mere 1800 bucks in the late 80's  less than 2000 hrs.  still hard to believe the brakes are shot, but they are,  if all goes well, I will get this done before the freeze hits.  As far as the shed goes,
a 12' ceiling is a good height, if lifts are to be in and out.  A drive through is a pretty good idea, just make plans for a close slab rack, the work triangle is critical for time in the log.   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

woodweasel

Heres what I'm working on to saw under. Its a 40'x52' covered building, 30'x50' is inclosed. Will set up the mill under the 12'x50' SHED.Building will be insulated & have an office/man cave/ living qtrs. on the opposite side of building I poured an 8'x12' joining slab, which will be a restroom with bathtub, urinal, sink,& storage space. 8) 8) Well my PICS would not upload since its jpg.Moderators this is a common format, whats up, am I doing something wrong?? ??? ??? ???

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: woodweasel on October 16, 2014, 09:12:45 PM
Heres what I'm working on to saw under. Its a 40'x52' covered building, 30'x50' is inclosed. Will set up the mill under the 12'x50' SHED.Building will be insulated & have an office/man cave/ living qtrs. on the opposite side of building I poured an 8'x12' joining slab, which will be a restroom with bathtub, urinal, sink,& storage space. 8) 8) Well my PICS would not upload since its jpg.Moderators this is a common format, whats up, am I doing something wrong?? ??? ??? ???

You have to first upload the photos to your photo gallery, then link to it in the post.

This is done to ensure that your photo will remain available years from now so we don't wind up with red Xs where the photo has gone missing.

Here's a link to a guide on how to do it: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61788.0.html

GDinMaine

Quote from: woodweasel on October 16, 2014, 09:12:45 PM
  Well my PICS would not upload since its jpg.Moderators this is a common format, whats up, am I doing something wrong?? ??? ??? ???

You can upload .Jpg files no problem.  The upload process is a bit different on this forum, but nothing you can't handle.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

woodweasel

ok , Lets see if I can get the pics up. I've posted pics before, dont know what the problem was 

The last pic is where the mill will be setup under ;D ;D

Joe Hillmann

If you are putting in a large opening for the logs make sure the beam above it is large enough to handle the snow  load.  This last winter was much worse than usual and just in Barron county thousands of building collapsed from the snow load.  Mostly pole sheds.  But some homes and lots of barns as well.

WDH

Weasel,

Looks awesome!  I am jealous. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

woodland84

What size beam would be enough to support a 16' span for the side open to load logs?

Don P

Impossible to say, need more info. I'm assuming rafters are supported by the beam?, how far is it to the other support end of the rafters (rafter span)? Overhang, how much? Snow load in lbs per square foot? Wood species and grade?

woodland84

Rafters would be 14' long with 1' overhang. So 12' wide. Full 8x8 vertical posts. Strapped and steel on roof. We have some snow load up here by times. Also 45 degree angle supports on either side of span as well.

Don P

Find your snow load in pounds per square foot, it is probably published online or available from the local building dept or truss shop. "some snow load" is something between 10 and 300 lbs/sq ft x 112 sq foot area bearing on the beam.

woodland84

From what I can find the snow load in my area would be around 20 lbs per square foot.

EOTE

My sawmill house is a bit smaller than what you are looking for and it was initially built fully open with no walls.  Side openings are 22' so I can bring in 20' logs and take out 20' lumber.  Ends are 20' wide.  Overall size is 20' x 40' and 12' high.

My drying house and sawmill houses are the duplicates.  Used shiplap for the roof and then R9 metal panels.

( I built scaffolding on both sides of the sawmill house so I could safely work on the roof because I am vertically challenged :) ).
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

DennisK

I built scaffolding on both sides of the sawmill house so I could safely work on the roof because I am vertically challenged

Wow, nice job, I'm going to borrow that from you. Are you done yet? :D

EOTE

Quote from: DennisK on February 02, 2020, 10:26:57 PM
I built scaffolding on both sides of the sawmill house so I could safely work on the roof because I am vertically challenged

Wow, nice job, I'm going to borrow that from you. Are you done yet? :D
The scaffolding was actually pretty easy to build and allowed me to overcome that fear of heights I've had all my life.  Basically it is 2" x 4" s on 4' centers with handrails and sturdy foot boards.  The foot boards were sawn from a couple of dead standing SYP's as 5/4" material.  I used structural screws to hold everything together which also made it easier to take down once it was completed.

I had an old pair of Skecher's Shape Ups tennis shoes that were absolutely non-slip on the metal roof and "no cry" knee pads I found on Amazon.  It really made the job anxiety free.

Assembly was straight forward, screwing the columns to the floorboard supports and then screwing that assembly to the horizontal holding member.  Then as I laid 12' floorboards, I also added the hand rails. (My wife even helped with the assembly).

I was then able to lay the shiplap on the roof.

We laid an underlayment of tar paper just to keep the boards dry until we were able to add the metal roofing.

EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!

doc henderson

I have an intermittent fear of heights.  If it is something I am or have built, I do better.  I have to be a little psyched.  but in the right frame of mind, I can work and play at 40 to 50 feet.  

me at Philmont 2016, at 42 feet.   :o :o :o

repelling from 50 feet
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

jeepcj779

The US Army Airborne school thinks the scariest altitude/height is 34 ft. above the ground.

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

doc henderson

@eote that is a sturdy building and will be around for a hundred years.  keep us posted on your progress.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

I have some serious shed envy.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

EOTE

Quote from: doc henderson on February 03, 2020, 01:26:59 PM
@eote that is a sturdy building and will be around for a hundred years.  keep us posted on your progress.
You know, that's what my neighbor said too.   ;D

Tom King

I built new houses for a living, with scaffolding very similar to that, for I forget how many years until I accumulated enough real scaffolding to do a whole side of a house. Now I have enough to do a whole house, and Alum-A-Pole will almost spoil you, since you're always working at a comfortable height.

The first couple of years, before impact screwdrivers, the wooden scaffolding was put together with double headed nails.

While I had the scaffolding up, since I did everything myself, I'd completely finish one side,and then take the scaffolding down to do another side.  People would say that it looked really strange to see a house with one finished side, and the others still had solid plywood sheathing.

Your buildings look great!

Thank You Sponsors!