iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Colonoscopy

Started by Magicman, July 24, 2012, 02:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

WDH's statement above and the posts that have testimonials are the reasons that prompted me to start this thread.  I was uneasy last week waiting on the test results from my procedure.  Just knowing that polyps were removed and pathology test were necessary is reason enough to schedule the necessary future procedures.

Colon cancer is an easily detected and prevented disease.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Paper Maker

I've had the procedure done twice. The first time they removed three polyps a year later had it done again and came up clean. That time I was granted five years before the next colon blow. There is no fun in having it done. The best thing to do is just wright it down on the colander as your very own personal day.  Get some reading or thinking time in for yourself. Cause it's going to be a long day.
  After reading this thread it got me thinking it should be close for me to have it done again.
  Not sure of the age bracket to start having it done but if your insurance will cover it just do it.

Chuck White

I've had the procedure done three or four times and I am due in two more years.

Nothing very pleasant about it, but the prep is worse than the actual procedure.

Lots of peace-of-mind once you're done.

If you're over 40, you should be scheduled to have the procedure done.  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

My Doctor's office called me this morning and gave me a "bit of a start".  It seems that everything is still OK, but I will not be able to skip a year.  My next procedure is scheduled for next year.  :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

He called and thanked me for the forum and said you were so good for business, he might switch it to every 6 months.  ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Raider Bill

Magic Man,

Great thread but please no pictures of you getting scoped ;D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

Oh you remember....... :D

metalspinner

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Al_Smith

You gotta take this stuff that gives you Montazumas revenge for a few hours but that passes .The proceedure is nothing .You just have to wait in the clinic until you pass a few elephant farts then you're good to go .

I don't have to go back for ten years .On other things I get the once over physical stuff like sugar and PSA blood work once a year .I really isn't a big deal and as they say an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure .If you've got something nip it in the bud .

My ex fooled around with some stuff ,cancer stubborn know it all type .They buried her two years ago .--word to the wise ---

pineywoods

Today was my turn for the misery. On my last one, the cleanout stuff didn't work too well and that caused some problems. Doc came up a new plan for today. I went through 2 cleanout proceedures, one yesterday and another starting at 1 am today. Talk about miserable. Guess it was worth it, I got a clean report and ole doc says, "at your age, you probably won't need another one in 5 years.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

Good for you Piney, and your "clean" report.   smiley_thumbsup

My Mom scheduled and had one at age 88.   :o   The Doctor guaranteed it for 10 years.   :)

Al_Smith

FWIW a word to wise on this stuff regarding age .My daughter in law bless her heart is in her early 30's and just within the last 2 years underwent colon cancer surgery ,chemo therapy and radiation .So far so good at this time ,thank heavens .

Her family has a history of colon cancer and she thought perhaps 40 would be a good age to start a regiment of prevention and detection but it came upon her early in life so you never know about these things .Something to think about especially if it could be a heridity thing .

Roger2561

Last year when I turned 50 my doc schedule for me to have one.  The prep didn't bother me (I was scared as hell with the horror stories my co-workers told me) the procedure didn't both me ( I was asleep) but the gas after the procedure!, Oh my goodness!  If I could have figured a way to bottle it, I could have heated my house for the winter and left my wood pile alone!  I had a couple of times when, I swear I went air born.  All in all, it wasn't nearly as bad an experience for me as I thought.  The doc told me they found a small poylp but not cancer.  Because of the "find" I have been scheduled to have another procedure in 5 years.   
Roger

Norm

Thanks Roger I needed a good laugh!

blackfoot griz

I was thinking about trying to talk my way out of getting this done, but, after reading this thread, it needs to be done.
Scheduled for the 10th...

After reading this thread, I asked about the limited dose of liquid cleanser.  The doc said they have gone away from that method and I would be looking at the gallon jug :-\

My buddy just had one done and I asked him how it went....he said "From that particular procedure, that doc knew how many fillings I have in my teeth!"

I will ask him to confirm for my wife... that my head is not up there...

sandhills

Now surely there has to be some sort of Doctor/patient confidentiality that won't allow them to tell my wife when they do indeed find my head up there....right?  ;D

Warbird

Magicman

At least after the cleanout, you should have a fresh smile.   ;D

Misfit

My Proctologist's name is Pok-E-Mon........
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

blackfoot griz

Quote from: Misfit on August 28, 2012, 08:30:56 AM
My Proctologist's name is Pok-E-Mon........
Like the Star Trek theme:

"Boldly going where no man has gone before"

DouginUtah

I had a DOT physical on 9/10. Doc insisted that I have another colonoscopy, since it had been eleven years.

I had the choice of the gallon (Nulytely Generic PWD) or the other kind. Gallon cost is $25 vs. $70 for the other kind. (The gallon was $5 with my insurance).

I am writing about my experience because it is not like what has been described here.

I prepared by buying a package of Crystal Light Pure Lemonade. I put three packets of the Crystal Light in the gallon and put the gallon in the freezer at 2 PM. At 3 PM I started drinking. I started out trying for a cupful every ten minutes, but decided I had plenty of time to just drink a cup every twenty minutes. The taste was just like drinking a cold drink of lemonade—not unpleasant at all. It took about four cups before I had to make an urgent run. Several hours later it was one cup in and one cup out. I finished it at 11 PM and went to bed at midnight. Had to get up once in the night. ( I slept on a thick towel just in case.)

My appointment was at 10:15. After filing out paperwork it was 10:45 before I was called into the prep room. Half an hour later I was in the "operating room".

Here is the abnormal part. I had an IV at my right elbow. They applied the sedative to put me out but nothing happened—except the pain at the IV got really bad—a 9. They realized I was having an infiltration—It wasn't getting into my bloodstream. So they tried my left elbow. More trouble. Sedative was moving back and forth. They had put the IV in an artery instead of a vein. Things then got serious and I was moved out of the OR. The head nurse did get a vein in my forearm and I went back in and the sedative put me out and next thing I know is I am waking up.

Aside from this abnormality there was nothing unpleasant about the whole process.

Doc said he found two significant polyps which are being biopsied. Wants me to schedule again in one year.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Magicman

I have gotten many PM's concerning this thread.  Most of them were from members who did not have a procedure scheduled and after reading some of these experiences, decided that maybe it was time.  Several of these resulted in finding polyps that needed attention.  Sharing experiences could be lifesaving.

Shotgun

In the bigger scheme of life, getting a colonoscopy is really not a big deal.  Don't put it off and be sorry.  Get one.  It's worth it.

I've had several.  Next one (fifth?) is coming soon.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

doctorb

Agree with the sentiments of this thread.  Just do it.

I also, again, suggest that the pre-op prep be started IN THE AFTERNOON before your procedure.  Not all patients react as quickly and completely as others, and you can have a miserable night before your procedure if you start too late.

My other suggestion, since this is a completely elective procedure, is to ask for the first or second procedure of the day, and don't accept a later start time.  Don't wait until the afternoon because that was the first time slot available.  It's OK to delay this procedure for a few weeks or even a month or two to make it as easy on yourself as possible.

This is a common, curable cancer.  We are all gonna die but it's better to die of something else. ;)
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

DanG

Started my prep Thursday afternoon. ;D

Things went well but the stuff tasted awful.  I'll try the Crystal Lite if there is a next time.  Slept through the actual procedure on Friday morn.  They only found one small polyp.

I asked about the pills that were mentioned a while back.  They said they are rough on the kidneys so they won't use them.  I give my kidneys a hard enough time as it is, so I didn't argue the point. :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!