Throttle cable adjustment

Started by Junior437t, June 12, 2021, 08:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior437t

I have a 1996 LT 40 Super HD with the Lombardini engine. The throttle cable broke recently. I ordered one and hope to have it sometime this coming week. Several years ago, I had to change the cable and when I ordered it then, I was told that I would have to adjust it with the blade running in order to get the proper cutting speed. What should the idle speed be? I have looked through my manuals and cannot find anything discussing that. How many rpms should it be running with the blade engaged? Also I have had trouble keeping alternator belts on it. I have ordered them direct from Woodmizer and usually they last less than 50 hours before they are stretched out too far to work. I have checked alignment with a straight edge and verified that it is fine. I have 2 new belts right now and need to put one of them on but I would like for them to last longer, they are too expensive to keep changing so often.

barbender

Hmm...I have the same engine on a '97. All you should have to do is adjust the cable so that it opens the throttle all the way. You could verify that- with the engine off, just make sure the throttle lever up on the engine is hitting the high idle stop. Adjust as needed if it isn't. 
  As far as alternator belts, maybe run to the parts store and get the next size shorter. You shouldn't be running out of adjustment.
Too many irons in the fire

trimguy

I'm also curious about the life of the alternator belt. Mine broke the other day, and I have a new one, but I haven't had a chance to take it apart and put it on yet. So I haven't been able to check alignment or anything else yet. But my mill only has 65 hours on it when my belt broke.

Magicman

Something is off somewhere with the alternator belt.  I have the same engine and the alternator belt last thousands of hours.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

trimguy

Thanks. When I get it apart I will check it out. I figured it should last a few hundred hours at least.

Junior437t

Quote from: Magicman on June 13, 2021, 07:34:09 AM
Something is off somewhere with the alternator belt.  I have the same engine and the alternator belt last thousands of hours.
I totally agree that something is off. I was hoping someone here could give me an idea of what.

Junior437t

Quote from: barbender on June 12, 2021, 09:32:43 PM
Hmm...I have the same engine on a '97. All you should have to do is adjust the cable so that it opens the throttle all the way. You could verify that- with the engine off, just make sure the throttle lever up on the engine is hitting the high idle stop. Adjust as needed if it isn't.
 As far as alternator belts, maybe run to the parts store and get the next size shorter. You shouldn't be running out of adjustment.
None of the local parts stores carry a belt that is so narrow. I have checked NAPA, AutoZone and Advanced. 

barbender

Something is amiss...my Lombardini uses a standard 6 rib poly v-belt. 
Too many irons in the fire

Junior437t

My internet has been out for several days, one of the perks of living in a rural area. I installed the new belt. My Lombardini has a narrow single V belt. One person posted that his has a 6 rib belt. I will monitor the hours that the belt lasts. I marked it down so I can keep track. I also located a Lombardini dealer that sells the belt for a little less than half of what Woodmizer charges. I ordered one from him and it has the same numbers on it and looks to be identical. On the throttle adjustment, the installation instructions that came with it specifically discuss making adjustments. The instructions say 1500 plus or minus 100 rpm for idle and 3200 plus or minus 100 for high end. Mine was running at 1100 at idle and 2900 high speed. I am sure that will have some bearing on how it saws and it would have to affect the charging system. Thanks for the replies.

Magicman

The idle speed should allow the alternator to produce 14+ volts, and is easily verified with a voltmeter.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman