iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Alternative energy - Windmills

Started by SwampDonkey, October 06, 2006, 06:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Work began in May this year clearing areas and building roads onto the back bone of Mars Hill.

Cranes have been erected on site to begin building the windmills.

You can see 3 cranes working and 3 existing TV/Radio towers.

A couple of the windmill columns are up. More photos to come as progress continues. They say there will be power running through the lines by month end.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

Have they caught the people who stole the wire yet?

SwampDonkey

Probably got stolen for the copper, eh? NB Powere has had theives steal wire this summer in NB also. I hadn't heard about them stealing wire from the windmill project. Apparently the wiring are going to be run underground. Actually, I think they said most of that work is already complete.

We went around the mountain last sunday and one house had a sign out by the road 'Honk if you hate the windmills'. Always someone downing something.  ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

The Bangor daily news online reported 30 thousand dollars worth of copper wire got stolen
from a storage unit about 3 weeks ago.  I guess they haven't tried to sell to the scrap man yet.

Stephen1

We were stopped outside of Montreal Central Station last monday for an hour. Someone stole some wire that had been laid above ground for the signals.it shut the whole place down for quite a while.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

SPIKER

A month or so back a guy was highly electrofied, almost killed because he was cutting LIVE wires to steal the copper ;) I think he may get a DARWIN award soon.   It was reported on the tv news & that he survived, but had lost parts of himself such as hands & feet from the electrocution as well as perminate brain damage, which aparently he had already?

Mark M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Onthesauk

My next door neighbor is a project manager on a couple of windmill projects.  My BIL did an article for his construction magazine and mentioned the following:

"The 127 turbine towers stand 250 feet high, and the blades are 130 feet long.  The nacelle and hub combination weighs 90 tons and each of the three blades adds another 7 tons.  The foundation is a 14-foot-diameter column of post-tentioned concrete set in solid rock from 25 to 32 feet deep, depending on ground conditions.  Amazing stuff."

He has finished one project near Walla Walla, Washington and is nearing completion on the second one near Ellensburg, Washington.  He mentioned that Modern Marvel is coming out to film this month for a future TV show.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Furby

I've seen a pile of blades being transported this year.
Was seeing caravans of them in OH last spring.

Ron Wenrich

Last year I flew out to San Diego and it was amazing to see those windmills from that high up.  Supposedly they're a bird cuisinart. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Hey, Modern Marvels on the History Channel has already been showing those windmills.  I never would have imagined that they were so huge, nor that they were so productive, nor that we have been so slow to get with the wind program!

Imagine what last year's money spent in Afghanistan and Iraq could have done, if put into wind and solar and superconductivity in the U.S. of A.!  Well, maybe next year, huh?

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Mooseherder

Hopefully,  we have enough windmills going up to give OPEC the Dang shivers.
smiley_furious
Alternative energy has to be our future.
Otherwise, they'll have us over the barrel like they do now.

farmerdoug

I always like how the naysayers say how the return on investment does not justify the projects but when the price of fuel rises high they holler that we should have done it years ago.  If it did not pay then why are there so many projects?  Besides I like the benefits for the enviroment.  They argue about the birds killed by the turbine blades but how about the damage from the pollution from the power plants and the birds killed by the power lines.  We find dead birds under the power lines every year here.

Doug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

SwampDonkey

Dan_Shade

i like all of the alternative energy ideas.  wind, solar, tidal, whatever will work.  we're in the beginning, we look back and laugh at the commodore 64, but it was a big deal in the day!

I say we cut the lines to the nay sayers houses.  you wanna play, you gotta pay somewhere.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Onthesauk

Neighbor tells me the new ones don't kill birds like the old ones did, apparently because of the size.  Big enough that they are able to see and avoid them.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

tcsmpsi

Out in west Texas, we've had windmills for miles far as one can see for several years

Down here, they have been going into people's attics (where they can gain outside access through eaves, gable ends, etc) and taking wiring and out of outside air conditioning/heating units. 

Yep, there's been a few trying to get 'big' wire who haven't fared too well.   :o
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

SwampDonkey

The first turbine up, no propellers yet.

breederman

Together we got this !

SawDust_Studios

I'm all for consevation, but I'd be willing to lose an occasional bird around my area to get my electric bill down.   ;)

I know that ain't politically correct, but we live in an area where the electric competition really don't matter much as there is none.  We've even went as far as looking at the personal windmills and solar to help defray some of the costs and to act as a backup.  We have frequent outages as we are rural and high winds tend to knock down trees, which I get to saw. 8)   And some genious engineer decided to build a relay station near a local stream that tends to flood. 

These alternatives are really becoming more affordable and anything you put back into the grid, the local electric companies got to pay for it. Now that part, I really like.  8)  Get money from the electric company for electric.

Quote from: Onthesauk on October 07, 2006, 11:07:21 AM
Neighbor tells me the new ones don't kill birds like the old ones did, apparently because of the size.  Big enough that they are able to see and avoid them.
Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

SwampDonkey

28 I think.

Here is a Blog with photos. I've checked a Boston news site and the info there is the same.

breederman

Have any of you seen some of the big farms they are building?  Over a hundred wind mills ,  There is one in Loweville New York and we saw one big one in Pa.  They dominate the landscape and ruin the view for miles.  They don't build them things in the valleys.
  I am not against wind power, but there are some serious down sides to an area not the least of which is decreased property values.  Several towns in our area have put moratoriums in place to slow down development of wind farms while they study the long term consequences to the area.
  I dont want to start a war here, just saying that wind energy ain't free. Everything comes with a trade off.
Together we got this !

Dana

That subject came up in our county. There was a lot of people at the meetings who were on both sides of the issue. There are several towers within 50 miles of us. I visited the towers as I was/am interested in signing a lease. The towers to me look kind of cool, and the noise wasn't any worse than the I-75 expressway and barking dogs near the tower! I wonder, if when those big, blue Harvestor silo's first came out they were considered to be an eyesore? After all the debate at the township and county meetings, wind towers were approved. I contacted the developer to sign up. They weren't interrested in our area anymore due to the previous controversy.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Patty

I think the windmills are beautiful against the horizon. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We have a few scattered around Iowa.Some towns are building them as a energy money saver. Many schools use the power and sell the excess back to the eletric company; I would think the school children could learn a great deal from these projects. I have looked into one for our farm, but the cost is still too prohibitive.

In Germany you would see them up on the hills along the freeways. They were very pretty.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

breederman

A few is one thing, a hundred things twice as tall as any thing else on top of a ring of hills is something else I belive. 
Together we got this !

Furby

Would you be happier with one nuke plant within sight ???

Thank You Sponsors!