iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Conflicting Saw Specs

Started by Spike60, February 05, 2015, 07:48:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spike60

Anyone who obsesses over saw specs, which applies to an awful lot of guys on these sites, tends to get seriously exasperated when conflicting info invades their comfort zone. One member quotes one source, another quotes a different source, and an argument ensues. One that seems to pop up all the time is the no load RPM's of the 372XT/2172. The original 372 was 13,500. The new XT saws should be set at 13,000-13,200. (I keep all mine right at 13,000) Now of course there are sources out there that say the new saws are 13,500! So, let's look at "sources".

Rule number one: Spec sheets on dealer sites should NEVER be taken as gospel. There is another NY dealer, and I know him, that fancies himself a player. He has a spec sheet on the 372 posted on his site listing it as a 13,500 saw. Really? Does he send them out at 13,500? I'd like to see him do it, because the coil in those saws is rev limited at 13,300  :) Dealers that don't read their technical data and just try to stay awake until lunch at the tech meetings are often the ones who complain about saws blowing up. Or maybe some dealers are just too busy climbing the ladder of significance to notice mistakes like that. But all saws should be adjusted as part of the set up procedure, and you have to know the correct settings in order to do that. 

What about when Husky's own data conflicts with itself? Rule number TWO here is that there is a difference between technical documents and sales publications, and you should go with the tech info. Sales sheets are written by marketing guys, owners manuals are written by lawyers, but the tech docs are written by the service guys. So what you want to look for are service bulletins and workshop maunals. I'm not sure how much if any of that stuff is available to non dealers, but that's generally where the accurate info can be found.

Again, looking at our 372 example, the workshop manual mentions the 13,300 number, as does the service bulletin that announced the coil with the digital advance which was introduced about a year after the 372XT came out. (along with a new carb to make setting the idle easier). The bulletin clearly states that you cannot set the saw above 13,300. Some tachs will blink 13,300 and some will flutter crazy numbers, but you won't get a steady reading above 13,300. Also, everyone should understand that there's some obvious risk when trying to set it right at the rev limiter as you can never be sure if you are bouncing off it or not. Which is why tech service recommends staying around 13,000. 

I never like to run them right on the edge anyway, and don't understand guys who like to get every last RPM out of the saw, but will then run 40:1 rather than 50:1 in an effort to make it last longer. The last 200-300 RPM isn't really going to make the saw cut any better guys. Back 'em down a hair and they will last longer at either 40 or 50 to 1.

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

sawguy21

Thanks for the rant, now you can go back to your coffee.  ;D Seriously, I agree with you. Those numbers are a maximum not necessarily the optimum just like highway speed limits. And you are right, who is going to notice a hundred rpm either way in the middle of a cut unless at a gtg?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sweetjetskier

Very well said Bob, but there are not too many OPE dealers that the owners, managers or techs know or care to keep up with the tech bulletins, as myself and many others have witnessed firsthand.

My 372 XT had some  problems when I first bought it, the dealer could not figure it out, maybe if he read the bulletins may not have taken a month to get it fixed correctly for a simple fix.

Arborist, Horticulturist, Nursery and Turfgrass Professional with 27 years experience.

weimedog

Thank you for posting this and clarifying these numbers. There are a number of Dealer "spec sheets" that look official and miss lead many. I've been challenged by a few who go back to those sales sheets and would interpret  them as technical data..

Think about it for a second.... these X-torq's are rev limited at 13,300... and those "suborn" ones try to twist them to 13,500 .. how lean are they when they give up going past the rev limiter?? And that "four stroking" that makes them comfortable with their setting could actually be the rev limiter.

How to fry a new saw.......

And it seems like the Husqvarna X-torq's like a little more fuel so what do you gain trying to get to that 13,500?? I set mine at 13,000. And with cold winters like we are now having, you have to pay attention to the tune of your saw.

Another nuance is those who have had the first gen 372's are used to hearing them zing to 13,400-13,500. So a "untuned" 372 x-torq out of the box that may actually be very lean doesn't sound wrong. If anything they sound like a few more "r's" might be in order. Fortunately it does take the special adjustment tool.... or I bet there would be even more project saws for me to pick up cheap... :)

Bottom line? The dealer needs to set them up right. AND if the dealer or your local "expert" says they should be set at 13,500? There is your first clue....  ::)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

so il logger

I'm just curious because some of you guys are talking about re-tuning, and it sounds like you do it often. What in the world are you using your saw for? I know how to tune/adjust high and low speed settings but seems like I wear a saw out before I have to adjust one. Sure it will need adjusting if I rebuild with a big bore but otherwise if I buy a new 660 I dont touch it and it runs great. If a guy don't know what he's doing adjusting the carb will ruin it

so il logger

Sorry I should have elaborated that i'm going off of several post's. But I figured one of you could tell me why all the re-tuning? ;)

weimedog

Set it right and you don't have to is the point. Some of the first generation "X-torq" Husqvarna's came lean out of the box (Thank you EPA!) and the dealers needed to set them and some dealers didn't which is the second point. Last but not least those who tweak their saws to get the extra bit of power in the summer time when its warm need to tweak again when the temperature's drop. You obviously aren't one of those types so that wouldn't apply to you. Also model dependent. The 390's I've seen have come right out of the box set right. The "Auto tune" Husqvarna's don't need any attention.... they do what the OCD tuner types would attempt to do by themselves. Hence the name "Autotune" :)

(PS: "Set right" for most saw users is set to be acceptably lean to survive working in the worst case cold temperature conditions and still acceptably rich in the warmest of temperature conditions, and some saws are more sensitive than others. And the point of this thread is the first generation 372xp's were good at 13,500 but the X-torq's are a COMPLETELY different design from air filter to exhaust port and needed to be set at 13,000-13,200 where 13,000 is that new lowest common denominator setting... down 500 rpms from the old design. Hence the confusion and discussion as they LOOK like the same saw and many think a 372 is simply a 372, all specs apply to all iterations. )
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Timbercruiser

Most deaalers now dont even care they dont check it before it gets sold and have no parts and service afterward . I see it so much guy buys a new pro saw and they wont even throw in a six pack of oil.

so il logger

Quote from: Timbercruiser on February 09, 2015, 08:06:28 PM
Most deaalers now dont even care they dont check it before it gets sold and have no parts and service afterward . I see it so much guy buys a new pro saw and they wont even throw in a six pack of oil.

Ain't that the truth, around here the dealers act as if you should be happy to get a saw wrench or scabbard with the purchase of a 1200.00 saw.

Spike60

Quote from: so il logger on February 09, 2015, 01:38:37 AM
Sorry I should have elaborated that i'm going off of several post's. But I figured one of you could tell me why all the re-tuning? ;)

Didn't mean to imply that there is a bunch of retuning going on. Just wanted to clear up some confusion about the old vs new 372's.

Also that many saws need to be properly set up and that many dealers don't bother to do that.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

so il logger

I see what your saying. I always use a tachometer on new saws before taking them to the woods. My old dealer was very good at getting them set right out of the box, but they have since retired and I don't know whether to trust the box store that we have for a dealership now.  :) It's strange how a guy can buy 2 of the exact same saw on the exact same day and one always pulls better than another  ???

Thank You Sponsors!