iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sugar Maple for a Ceiling

Started by DWyatt, October 07, 2019, 06:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DWyatt

Yesterday, after getting home from the Paul Bunyan show a friend of mine came over to help process a whole bunch of sugar Maple that he will be using as ceiling paneling on the vaulted ceiling in his house that he is remodeling. The lumber was the first stuff cut with my LT40 when I got it and was the first run through the kiln with the Nyle unit. Lets say between stress ridden, small logs and a huge learning curve all around, it was not perfect. However it was more than perfect for what he needed. We planed to 3/4", edge jointed, and ripped to 6 1/2" and 4". Most boards were around 11' and we ended with 275 bf of finished lumber after 4 hours of work. We emptied 6 of the giant bags on the Grizzly 5 hp dust collector. My hands feel like they ran that much lumber through the jointer today, I knew there was a reason I didn't like cutting longer lengths.

YellowHammer

Nice, sugar maple makes great looking stuff, but is not the easiest to work with.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

DWyatt

Quote from: YellowHammer on October 07, 2019, 06:53:29 AM
Nice, sugar maple makes great looking stuff, but is not the easiest to work with.  
It most definitely is not easy to work with or easy on the machines. Keeping the 20" planer with a mouthful taking 1/8" off per pass was plenty. This stuff sat in log form for almost 18 months before it was cut and dried so there is a lot of character, minor spalting and lots of bug holes, it will make some beautiful paneling though.

Anderson

I for one (and others I'm sure) would love to see some pictures after the paneling is installed! 8)

DWyatt

There will be pictures once it is installed. You will have to be patient though, he is doing the entire remodel by himself and travels plenty for work. Being 2+ hours away makes it hard for me to get down and help.

Southside

I know the feeling of doing it all alone.  Told my wife I would have the re-model done by August - luckily I never said which August.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

A small word of caution.  The ceiling area in many homes is a bit hotter than the rest of the locations.  Being hotter, the humidity is automatically lower.  So, be very certain that the wood is quite dry, or else it can shrink in place.  Nails or screws will not stop this shrinkage.  Of course, if it is too dry, it can swell excessively in the summer.  In fact, rather than one full expanse of a ceiling, consider breaking it into sections.  This is also why tongue and groove is used...when the wood shrinks, the tongue is exposed, but not a deep crack.  A v-groove helps the appearance when the wood shrinks.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

low_48

Not going to be an easy install. Every fastener will require a hole drilled first.

Magicman

Not Maple, but I have been very successful with T&G Poplar and Ash for ceilings.

1X6 T&G "V" groove Poplar.

1X6 T&G Ash on the left of the beam. 

A Pickling Stain was used on both ceilings.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I bet that you put some of that pickled bologna juice in that stain too to act as an insecticide. :)  :)   steve_smiley
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

You should know.

Have you had any fleas lately??   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DWyatt

As promised, I am following up with this post! Spent yesterday evening and this morning installing the ceiling and got it sprayed this afternoon. It turned out beautiful and we had 4 boards to spare! 

Ruffgear

tacks Y

DW  Looks  GOOD.  Is this t&g? Did you do the ends also or just butt together? Thanks

Magicman

Oh Wow, that is a beautiful job !!  8)

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

boardmaker

DWyatt

Quote from: tacks Y on February 14, 2020, 08:27:07 AM
DW  Looks  GOOD.  Is this t&g? Did you do the ends also or just butt together? Thanks
It is all just butted together. I asked him if he wanted to do t&g and he decided it wasn't worth the extra effort. He put up roofing felt and we butted everything together.

Nebraska

alanh

AK Newbie

LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

Thank You Sponsors!