iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blood supply

Started by tree-farmer, March 21, 2020, 07:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tree-farmer

With the virus situation the blood supply is in trouble. Red cross is pleading for donors. 
I would encourage anyone who is healthy to help the out during these unsettled times. 
FYI they usually have good snacks  8) 

Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Ljohnsaw

+1

I donate plasma every 2 weeks because it is a much needed product and because I can.  Been doing it ever since I retired in 2013.  It does take a while - up to 3 hours in and out. 

Donating whole blood is quick, in and out in less than an hour.  Go out and save a life!

All the snacks and juice/coffee/tea you can consume!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

jtmccallum

I have been donating platelets every 2 to 3 weeks since I retired   Great staff at our local donor center. Free Netflix and plenty of snacks. I would encourage anyone who can to donate. 
John M.        '97 WM LT40Super Manual 40HP Lombardini,  XP372,   CASE 1210 W/ Loader

Ljohnsaw

My center has cable tv and a huge catalog of DVDs so I'm pretty up to date on movies!  The staff is phenomenal!

There are probably 8 or 10 centers that serve the Sacramento area with a population of probably 300-400k.  Its a pretty sad turnout at the centers when you think about it.  My center has enough chairs to process about 60 whole blood and 40 platelet/plasma donors a day - though they don't come anywhere close to that.  You can give platelets every 2 weeks, plasma can go 3 times a week, whole blood every 8 weeks.  So at capacity, they should be seeing around 2,500 a month (they operate 7 days a week).  Assuming all the centers average out to mine (some bigger, some tiny), that's 25,000 per month capacity -  or 6% of the population.  That's 6 people per 100.  Since they only see about ΒΌ that, that means only 1 to 2 people per 100 think donating blood to save lives is worthy of their time.  That is really sad :(  So I go whenever I qualify.  I have to be careful when working within a few days before donating.  They don't like open wounds, so sometimes I have to wait or they turn me away :-X

So, take the time and save a life.  Some day your life may depend on someone else thinking it is worth it!
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

wesdor

My wife and I went in Monday. We were just eligible - donate regularly. The staff confirmed the shortage and were most appreciative. 
Those of you who donate know the question - have you been in Juvenile lockup during the past 72 hours. I almost said yes. 

Ljohnsaw

Yeah, some of the questions are funny.  You'd think they would kick some of them due to age.  Not like we are getting any younger!  So, we had paper questions to fill out until 18 months ago or so.  There would be the "check this box if male" and skip a few questions about pregnancy, etc.  And likewise for male and lifestyle.  Well, when they went to a tablet, it didn't have to ask those questions as my profile was "male" and I could fill it out faster.  Recently, Blood Source was bought up by Vitalent.  Now they are asking again if I'm pregnant.  I asked why this is back.  Turns out, when I filled out my profile, the only choice was male or female. ::)  Since people might identify as something else or maybe changed since they filled out their profile, they have to ask.  I guess the ladies have to answer the "male" questions now, too.
John Sawicky

Thank You Sponsors!