iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re: The weather 2019

Started by SwampDonkey, January 01, 2019, 04:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Really no snow on the ground. Some in places in the works. I have 20° and still a wind blowing out there. Blew all day yesterday too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Suppose to be down below 10F tonight. But the snow has been called off for the next week, just snow showers. ;D And that wind is suppose to whistle through again. We've had about a foot less of snow this year than last. Look'n like one of them ice and rain winters so far. Winter is weird with brown grass and weeds everywhere. ;) :D Starry night here.

Got one of them new fangled Smart TV's for ma today. They got more connections than a computer these days. Well, they are computers. More and more stuff integrated into them. One wonders what's next. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

51cub

Cold and with a good stiff breeze all day. Snow coming tomorrow, anywhere from a dusting to 4in for me here depending who you listen to, more for the southern part of the state. Then colder than a well drillers coveralls for 2 or 3 days after that
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

Old Greenhorn

Well looks like I got my wish, sort of. I Looked at the 6 day forecast today and it is not supposed to break the freezing mark in the foreseeable future. We are marked to get 3-7" of snow tomorrow, which I consider and annoyance snowfall, but whatever. I'll just waste time plowing again. I am glad the mud is hardening up because I am tired of slipping in the mud around the mill. Steady cold for sure but that is easier to adjust to than the up and down freeze and thaw nonsense.
I think this snow will slide south of TheCfarm and SwampDonkey, but there will be some up in Bargemonkey territory. For sure the whole northeast looks to be pretty cool in the coming week.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Stephen1

We had a nice day of mostly sunshine and around the freezing mark.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

SwampDonkey

Well it's 15F and not as cold as predicted, like 10 degrees warmer. That's fine by me. ;D

Stars and moon are still shining here at the wee hours. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Old Greenhorn

25° here steady fine snow coming down. Only about an inch on the ground and a plow just went by, I have no idea why. Overtime, I guess. ;D Hopefully this stuff will stay cold and fluffy, quick plowing.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

curdog

55 and raining this morning,  should hit mid 60s this afternoon. I was hoping that the rain would stop early today,  but it's supposed to continue until mid afternoon... I guess it will be an office morning 

Woodcutter_Mo

21°F with a wind chill in the teens. We got close to a half inch on ice yesterday and overnight about an inch of snow fell. It may be an interesting drive to work this morning  :o :D. Yesterday evening there were cars slid off the highway about a quarter mile appart all the way home, fortunately I didn't see any accidents that would have involved injuries. When there is ice on the road, SLOW DOWN people! 
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Old Greenhorn

Well this was a good plain old snotty nasty day. A little bit of snow then a bunch of sleet topped off with some freezing rain. It only piled up about 2 inches but it was miserable to plow and I moved almost as much dirt. But it won't go over 30 for the next 7 days so I wanted to clean up what I could. It was refreezing as I plowed. Tomorrow I'll have to get some salt on it.

chevytaHOE5674

Only a few inches of snow since my last update. Temps are around 10° and the windchill is about -10°. Tomorrow is supposed to be colder yet.

firefighter ontheside

We got about 5" yesterday.  Enough to cause snow days for today and tomorrow.  Had to take the boys with me to shovel the parking spots and sidewalks at wife's office.  The 12 year old was very helpful.  He did get donuts out of the deal.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

SwampDonkey

18F this morning and no sign of any white stuff. Fire is a might bit warm this morning, won't add anymore wood until tonight I think. :)

thecfarm

I have 24° now. Got about 4 inches yesterday. The snow showers brought in another inch in the night. This was all snow!! No rain and no rain in sight.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ed_K

22° this morning,we got 5" yesterday. Yesterday afternoon I ran the garden tractor snowblower did the drive, Rita's parking space and the walkways and this morning woke up to another inch  >:( :(. It's hard to clean up 1".
Ed K

chevytaHOE5674

-3° this morning and just a skiff of new snow. Windchill is bitterly cold.

51cub

Ended up with about 6in of snow here. Clear and bright today made it nice and easy to cleanup. Cold and windy tomorrow
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

wisconsitom

And now, of all things, a big warmup.  We could conceivably lose our snow cover by Christmas here, although up north it is too thick to completely go away that quickly.  I imagine we'll still have bits of slushy stuff around here in A-Town but it won't likely be the winter wonderland scene one might have expected, given all the snowfall already this fall.

Temps are forecast into the 40'sF by early next week.  Guess I'll take advantage of the mild conditions and take a brother or son or two up and start pruning lower limbs off of softwood timber trees at the plantation.  We do bits of this every winter and I may as well get started.  I and my associates find this work enjoyable and we all like working outside in the winter.  If the snow pack goes down a bit up there, it will only help us get around.

We're pruning lower limbs on white pine, red pine, Norway spruce, and hybrid larch.  Many of these trees are intended as legacy trees but we still like to raise them up.  The trees would eventually do the same, but we avoid lots of knots in any wood that could potentially get processed.  Other than that, we just like a high-crowned forest.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

SwampDonkey

Limbing up the white pine will actually help deter rust, so that is a good thing. The rust enters live needles and migrates to the stem. And lower limbs in the damp shade are most prone to it. :)

SwampDonkey

Been nothing here except flurries and squalls, nothing to stick to the ground. We to are expecting another warm up, but it's coming from the NE off the Atlantic I hear.

wisconsitom

Yes, rust is one of the reasons we do that in these relatively open-grown WP.  Of course, with their rapid growth, they are beginning to shade each other out.  But we've got at least three reasons to raise up softwoods on our site.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

Old Greenhorn

12° when I got up today, then at sunrise it dropped to 10 then began climbing a while later. 20 at midday with some breeze, but mostly clear. Clear and cold for the next 5 days or so and it might touch 40 over the weekend. I took the plow off last night :). Hoping to hit it hard this weekend to finish milling up the framing lumber. No snow in the foreseeable future. ;D

thecfarm

I think I saw 14°. But with that wind,it was a a lot lower.

Stephen1

Cold here today! Squeeky cold, snow flurries all day
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Chuck White

We had -12°F this morning at 6:00, and right now it's -6°!

Only got up to 5° on the "hot side" of ZERO today!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!