iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kiln and whole-house humidifier all in one !!

Started by sprucebunny, March 09, 2006, 06:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

A big white pine fell across the dirt road I live on. I dragged 2 14 foot logs home. Diameter 15" at 14 feet up. Also got a four foot piece. Milled it all into 1" boards ;D

Now, it's all stacked in the woodstove room to dry and providing needed humidity to the house. ;D
The 2" slab in the foreground  is already well dried and the sap set.

I don't know much about drying wood but I DO know that the pine smells great ;D That room gets over 120F so the pitch should be set enough, don't you think ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

breederman

Don't ask that question.  It gets sooo complicated. :)
Together we got this !

SwampDonkey

:o :o :o 120 F!!! I'de be nothing but a grease spot. :D

Looks like a nice whack of lumber Joan.  How much a bf? :) ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

The logs were free ;D And I'm saving the boards for window trim.

The room is seperate from the rest of the house.There is a 12x16" elbow at the top of the room to the upstairs living area. I move the air with 3 fans, two mounted in walls so it's kind of like a low temp hot air furnace. That room is the only one that gets real hot.

I don't really like how modern houses are sealed up so tight. I'd rather lose a little heat and have fresh air indoors so there is plenty of hot air seeping into the attic and make-up air pulled into the woodstove room.

Breederman- However the boards come out will be good enough  ;) ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

breederman

I asked the same question  a couple weeks ago and it got complicated real fast.  I'm with you though "what it is,  is what it is"
Together we got this !

SwampDonkey

Yup, that's the same with my stash in the barn. I'll find something in the pile I can use. :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

UNCLEBUCK

Congrats on your find s.b. , it all adds up fast especially if one had to go to the lumberyard . Glad you like your sawmill and nothing funner than sawing free logs !  8)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

getoverit

Beautiful woiod SB !

I'm still amazed that the lumber will stay straight when it is stacked like that...it defys all reason  ;D
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

isawlogs

Thats a nice find , got some nice looking boards in there , the windows will look reall good with those around them , I am sure the you where happy to get the mill going . How did it go after the winter storage , did she pure like a kitten when you turned the key over .  :) ??? ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

wiam

I have dried a fair amount of lumber standing up with minimal problem.

Will

Quartlow

Quote from: getoverit on March 09, 2006, 09:35:08 PM
Beautiful woiod SB !

I'm still amazed that the lumber will stay straight when it is stacked like that...it defys all reason  ;D

I know an old guy who ran a circle mill all his life, his theory was it grew standing up it should dry standing up. Everything he sawed was stood up to dry for a year then it went in the kiln. All the local cabinet makers used his lumber and if what they needed wasn't ready they told customer sorry can't do it till I get the lumber.

Nice boards Joan!!!!
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

jon12345

I got a slab of it that's been air drying since summer of 03, I doubt the pitch has set but it is getting a nice weathered look to it.   :D   When I worked in the sawmill at college EWP is what we sawed 90% of the time, except for a little hemlock or scotch pine.  Yeah pine does smell goood   especially compared to hemlock.

It was a good deal, people who sold logs to the college were given the lumber back for the same price, and we got to pay the college to let us provide the labor - they called it 'learning'  ::)  The thing I miss the most, is having the opportunity to work on the green chain the only day it rained that summer, only day I remember it raining anyway   :-\
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Thank You Sponsors!