iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Designs/ plans that utilize short timbers

Started by Todd, December 27, 2007, 10:33:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Since we only mill street trees, our average log is just under 8'.  Now, they may be 28"+ around, but no length.  I was hoping that someone may have seen some plans or books that detail how to build a structure that has usuable space utilizing such short timbers?
Thanks,
Todd
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

barbender

The Craft of Modular Post and Beam -  James Mitchell  I think that info is correct, this book is specifically about building with short timbers, log or timberframe style.
Too many irons in the fire

Greg

I guess it depends what you mean by usable space.

When I was a TFG event in MA several years ago, we toured a facility that produced 4 x 7" x 8' hemlock that was used by a regional builder for small barns and storage sheds.

Can't remember their names, sorry. The mill producing the hemlock "shorts" basically needed something to do with these odd/short pieces and therefore they could provide them (what I thought at the time) for a very reasonable cost to the builder. Its was a win win situation.

Greg

Todd

useable space would mean not having posts every 7' in your house or outbuilding ;D
I looked up the Mitchell book...I may have to go find it and take a look
Thanks guys
Todd

TW

If you depart from tradidional timberframing there might be a possible method, to get a maybe 12' wide building with 8' wood. It is called treledsram in Swedish, but I have no idea about the English term.

pineywoods

depending on your needs, you might find just what you need in a geodesic dome. 40 ft free-span with 8ft timbers is a snap. Just do your research well. Plent of info available, but they ain't as simple as they look.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Todd

I don't know if I could build the dome...you see...I didn't pay attention to Geometry in high school 'cause I was gonna be a yuppie ;D  (one of 10,000 bad decisions!!)

pineywoods

Quote from: Todd on December 31, 2007, 09:47:22 AM
I don't know if I could build the dome...you see...I didn't pay attention to Geometry in high school 'cause I was gonna be a yuppie ;D  (one of 10,000 bad decisions!!)

Don't need no geometry. Plenty of books available that have charts to show all the pieces and dimensions. Only 2 or 3 different sizes in the whole dome. Do a google on geodesic domes. Biggest problem with them is getting a good waterproof seal. I'll see if I can find my books, I have moved since I last saw them. ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thehardway

Take a look at some of the English historical TF homes.  They utilized a lot of short and or crooked timbers.  They used a lot of bracing and cantilever to acheive longer spans with them. An immense amount of joinery is involved but it is possible.  When properly braced  or cantilvered a midspan scarf joint was a fairly common thing thing and it can allow your 8' timbers to span 14' or so.   I doubt your inspector will like this idea though.
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Thank You Sponsors!