iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Longleaf Pine

Started by Magicman, January 06, 2010, 06:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

In March '09 I planted about 75 Longleaf pine plugs.  Now that the grass is dead, I can see that I got a good survival rate.  They are still in the "grass stage", except for one little tree that I found trying to sprout.  It looked like a deer or something had chomped on it's needles.

I know that they have to "set roots" the first year.  Reckon they will send up a shoot this year?
I can see them, now that the grass is dead

Here's one sending up a bud.  Taken January 6, 2010.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom

They can sit in that stage for 3-5 years.   I get Long Leaf volunteering on the sides of my driveway and some will be a couple of years before they "Rocket" and some will be a longer.  That white candle/growth bud is the most typical thing of Long Leaf.  You can spot a Long Leaf by that from great distances.

There is a bud disease that kills most all of mine within 10 years.   It might be brown Spot but I'm  not sure.  I read of a candle blight one time and can't find it.  I hope you don't realize this.  It's disheartening, after so many years, to find that the candle, and then the needles die, leaving you with a long, slim stick of wood with, sometimes, a tuft at the top.

Long Leaf needs fire. That would solve some of our illness problems.  Unfortunately the society is against burning, so pests and diseases alike ravage the trees.  Slash gets out of the ground faster and can survive these early illnesses, but long leaf stays next to the ground for too long.  Study fire when your long leaf gets up some. It sterilizes the field of many of the micro-organizms/disease and kills ticks and chiggers tool

be sure to take plenty of pictures of your trees.  There aren't many people growing Long Leaf and a history of your stand will be important to many in the future. :)

ellmoe

A quick fire is also supposed to help "release" the longleaf seedling from the grass stage.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

WDH

Exactly.  Longleaf adapted to and even requires fire to thrive.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishpharmer

Nice pictures MM.  I recall hearing somewhere, that longleaf withstood the hurricane force winds of Katrina much better than any other species of SYP.   Maybe that's why I read it was used for wooden ship's masts back in the early days.  Sure makes nice lumber ;D

How many years until sawlog harvest for Longleaf?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

VT_Forestry

Here in VA, the DOF has been doing research for years in an attempt to keep the native Virginia longleaf pine.  The majority that is around is from NC or some other seed source.  I went and looked at a few of the plantations that they had, and they were pretty impressive.  The longleaf was significantly outgrowing loblolly on certain sites, mainly ones that were considered "poor" quality in regards to loblolly.  Longleaf needs a nice deep sandy soil, which from my understanding usually results in poor nutrient retention.  The 10-year old loblolly planted on these sites looked like scrub brush when compared to the same age longleaf planted a compartment over.  At 10-years old the longleaf looked very close to a commercial thinning size.   
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Magicman

Quote from: ellmoe on January 06, 2010, 08:40:53 PM
  A quick fire is also supposed to help "release" the longleaf seedling from the grass stage.   Mark 

Quote from: WDH on January 06, 2010, 11:11:38 PM
Exactly.  Longleaf adapted to and even requires fire to thrive. 

Are you saying that I need to burn this grass?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Yes.  However, I am no resource on burning young longleaf pine.  Your state department of Forestry should be able to give you the proper timing and guidelines for a successful burn.  It may be too early to burn the grass this winter, but maybe not, so getting the advice from the state foresters should clear that up. 

Whatever you determine, lets us know, and we will all learn a little in this process!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

Like Danny said, talk to your local agency, or a consultant that knows a little about longleaf, control burns can be dicey, leave it to the pros.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

DanG

Just going by my own observations over the last few years, I think site conditions have a lot to do with it.  Hardly anyone is planting any pine other than longleaf in this neck of the woods, so I've had a chance to see a bunch of them.  I've not seen anyone burning them intentionally at that young age, and most of them seem to be doing quite well.  My next door neighbor has a nice 40 acre stand that is several years old now, and he hasn't burned them yet.  They look to be 20-25 feet tall now.  I'll check with him about the exact age, and get a few pics.  Anyway, his is an excellent site, IMHO, smack in the middle of prime longleaf country.  The site is an old row-crop field and has no hardwood stands nearby, so weeds and grasses are the only competition the pines have.

Now this is just pure speculation from my basically ignorant perspective, but do y'all think maybe fire is more valuable to longleaf in the lower, wetter sites?  The upland trees around here seem to be thriving whether they get burned or not. ??? :P

I'm wondering if the problems with Tom's little voluteers might be related to the wet conditions there.  He does live in a swamp, after all.  He was smart to plant loblollies in his plantation, as they seem to sprout with flippers on their roots. ;) :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WDH

Quote from: DanG on January 07, 2010, 12:30:11 PM
Now this is just pure speculation from my basically ignorant perspective, but do y'all think maybe fire is more valuable to longleaf in the lower, wetter sites? 

In the wet savanna sites, fire is the most critical element.  I have a project to restore a site in St. Tammany parish, LA to the original longleaf wet pine savanna, and fire is the main management weapon.  However, since I am inexperienced with longleaf, I am not sure the timing on the first burn.  It will be much earlier than you might think though, especially when compared to loblolly and slash.

Magicman

Wet will not come into play in my situation.  My granddad loved Longleaf pines, so I set these out on his home's house site.  Sorta like a memorial to him.  It's 295' elevation, and the second highest point on the place.  My cabin is at 300'.

In this instance, I could take a lawnmower and remove the bulk of the grass, only leaving a tuff around each set.  It's planted on 10X12 spacing.

The one thing that I did not do was subsoil.  I'll move some pictures and show the site.

DanG

Magic, that sounds remarkably similar to my neighbor's site...just about the same elevation.  I'm not sure of your latitude, though.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

300 FT. !?!?!?!
I didn't know you lived in the mountains.   :D

Nature has a way of making up for our insecurities.  Fire is for getting rid of disease as well as trimming back nutrient robbing grass and shrubs.  But when you get miles away from a site of trees, the best you can do is offer a suggestion or opinion.  That is why you need the advise of an on-site forester who is familiar with the program in your area.  

If the seedlings were naturally seeded and seed was no object, you could "play" around some.  But if you dug each hole and plopped a nursery plant in it, that's a lot of work and expence and you need to make sure that what you do doesn't unravel the thread.  :)

RynSmith

I didn't look around their site too much, but you might find some good information at talltimbers.org.  :P

Magicman

I found some pictures.  The first is my Grandparents' home that had been vacant since 1959.  I got tired of paying taxes on it, plus it was ugly.  I had already stripped the usable lumber from it.

My entrance with the old house still standing..... :o

Gone

My Son on the toy filling up the old cistern

As my entrance looks today.  The Longleafs are planted where the house was..... :)

Texas Ranger

Shoot, I kinda like those old houses.  But, longleaf in the grass stage has (around here) a leaf "blight" for lack of a better word, and the fire trims off the damaged needles, and apparently shocks it out of the grass stage.  I believe you need to pretty much not burn real hot, slow cool fire through it to trim the grass and the fungus infected needles.

I used to manage a few long leaf stands, times changed, and now I only look at one sonderagger stand.  Spelling bad on that, but, it is a lob/longleaf natural cross.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

woodtroll

I don't know much about longleaf but the grass fuel component looks short, easy to burn put a line around it with your son's toy. Should not be to bad. 8) (my 4 yearold son said to add the dancing guy.) :o

ellmoe

Quote from: Magicman on January 07, 2010, 07:36:18 AM
Are you saying that I need to burn this grass?

I don't believe you "need" to burn for the LL to release, but it supposed to stimulate the seedlings. Early in my career I was on a 41,000 acre tract with almost all longleaf and fire was purposely kept out. The LL grew fine, but the chiggers were awful! For some reason the resident forester thought he should protect the seedlings from fire after an outstanding seed crop. So, no burning. Personally, I think he grew up in a slash pine plantation. ;D

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Ron Scott

Controlled Burns to Improve Wildlife Habitat, Reduce Wildfire

The Florida Times-Union reported that natural resources officials plan to begin a series of controlled burns intended to improve wildlife habitat and reduce wildfire fuel on state lands in Southeast Georgia. The aim of the burns, they say, is to establish Longleaf pine and wiregrass and to remove dead fuel.

For more information, visit the Florida Times-Union website.

The E-Forester
~Ron

DanG

Interesting, interesting!!  I find it ironic that Ron found this gem of wisdom in the Times-Union, which is the major newspaper in Jacksonville, where Tom lives.  Now, Tom says, and I've seen it myself, J'ville/Duval County is doing everything it can to stifle Forestry in favor of development.  In stark contrast, RynSmith introduced the name, "TallTimbers" into this conversation, which is a truly honest and forthright private organization in my neighborhood.  TT not only conducts studies and educational programs on their own site, they are intensly involved in public education.  During the burn season, there are TV and radio ads all over our area, sponsored by TT, educating the public on the benefits of fire to the forest.  It has had an amazingly positive effect on public attitude, and we do not hear a lot of complaining about the smoke, or the imagined destruction of trees.  The average man on the street around here is aware of the beneficial relationship between wiregrass and the longleaf pine tree, chiefly because of the efforts of this fine PRIVATE organization.

As many of you know, Tom and I are very close friends, and we spend hours every week talking on the phone, when we cannot get face to face.  A lot of what we talk about is the difference between his area of Florida and mine.  It is like being in two separate countries!  In his little corner of the World, forestry is all but dead, and in mine, it is flourishing like nowhere I know of, at least in these depressed times.  It seems that every other truck you meet on the local roads is a log truck!  The Tree Farmer program seems to be going great guns here too, if the appearance of new signs is any indication.  I credit public education, and the regional political climate with this stark difference, and Tall Timbers with walking point on this stewardship patrol.

As WDH has pointed out before, I'm smack-dab in the middle of Longleaf country, and I'm happy to report that the effort to restore Longleaf as the king of the pine world appears to be going very well. :) 8) :) 8) :) 8)

Tom

After much searching, I found the article that Ron listed.  It came from a note, written on the 8th (yesterday) and was referring to a burning program in S.E. Georgia, around Brunswick.  It's a long way from Jacksonville, but the egotistical local news media considers it part of jacksonville's metro news area.  What the heck!  Seventy-five miles to the north is local news? 

We can find out that Po Dunk California is having a rain storm and we aren't told that there was a breakout from the County Prison Yesterday?  I'm sorry, my curmudgeoness is showing again.  :D

Thanks Ron. It really is good news. I wish we had some positive burning press in Jacksonville.

SwampDonkey

Light her up Tom. We'll get all kinds of press then. Something about a fire and also a little something about prison. :D Okay, maybe it ain't so funny but you left the barn door wide open. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Don K

We planted 15 acres of long leaf in 2000. the soil conditions were such that they didn't stay in the grass stage long. What did happen though is part of it was overgrown by briars and undesirable hardwoods and really slowed those down. In the winter of 2001my dad and I attacked these few acres in the bottom with brush saws and they really took off. That next winter we burned the whole 15 acres and have burned once since. We missed a burn 2 yrs ago and know it looks rough. A lot of other pines have sprouted on the back side and have killed back the long leaf. They do not thrive with a lot of competition when young. Grass will choke them back if allowed to take over. Most of Daddy's LL are now 15 - 20 ft tall. I will get some pics later.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Magicman

I talked with my Forester and also a Plumb Creek guy yesterday at the Forestry Ass'n Director's meeting.  They told me to "light them up".  The first good "burn day"  I'll have some smoke going.  I'll take some pictures, because I want to document every activity with these Long Leaf pines on my tree farm.

Thank You Sponsors!