iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moving Urban logs, again...

Started by Stephen1, August 26, 2010, 10:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

hry Guys, I've been looking but could only find 1 link to an A frame loader for the back of my trailer.
whay size steel is being used and holding..I have 3" c channel available and am wondering if this will be strong enough or will it collapse on a good size log...
any links would be good to look at
Stephen
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Fla._Deadheader

The original, that I built, used 2" galv Pipe. It was welded in the corners, and had short 45° braces welded in. It was NOT an "A" frame. Mine, you could place logs anywhere on the trailer, without fighting them. if a log will fit the trailer, I could load it with that rig.

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

JayG

Pipe or steel tubing would be preferable. "C" channel's strength is generally not for vertical applications. 

Stephen1

Quote from: JayG on August 27, 2010, 01:53:36 PM
Pipe or steel tubing would be preferable. "C" channel's strength is generally not for vertical applications. 
Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on August 27, 2010, 08:50:36 AM
I was afraid of that..

The original, that I built, used 2" galv Pipe. It was welded in the corners, and had short 45° braces welded in. It was NOT an "A" frame. Mine, you could place logs anywhere on the trailer, without fighting them. if a log will fit the trailer, I could load it with that rig.

Would it be advantageous to have a frame and then use the "c" channel for ramps for parbuckling up the side...
Do you think you would use both systems?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Fla._Deadheader

I was lucky that all my measurements worked out correctly, first time around. We have loaded TONS of logs with the rig. Logs were soaked from being underwater for many years.

Had an 8000# electric winch in the head of that trailer. We could drag logs from over 90° from parallel with this set up.

I never found a reason to try any other maneuvers.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!