iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Surveying question

Started by Dan_Shade, March 02, 2009, 01:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

With my real job, there is a requirement to do an alignment of two "boresights" to the same reference from two different elevations.

It would be sort of like having a telescope pointing out of a second story window, and one out of a window directly below it.  The downstairs one would have to be aligned to the upstairs one, the upstairs one would be fixed.

Is there a way to do this with lasers and mirrors, or prisms or something? 

The way we do it today leaves much to be desired, we currently find a tree or something a half mile or so away and align to it, and it's a real pain to do it that way.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

fstedy

I would think an elevation rod with a target set at a distance would be the simplest. Whats the application you state boresights?
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Sprucegum

If you need to do it very often it might be worth your while to build a periscope. I have never seen it nor done it - just shooting in the dark here  ;D

Roger Nair

Dan, how precise does the alignment need to be?  Are the sightlines in the same vertical plane? 

Here is a link to Brunson Instruments for a basic tutorial, the last of the great American optical companies, that specializes in industrial control measurements.

http://www.brunsonkc.com/p/LearnCenter.asp
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

Dan_Shade

the goal is to line up to within 0.1 degrees, the sight lines are in the same vertical plane, or very close there too

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

SwampDonkey

You blasting rock for road? Or is this artillery/gun related? I haven't enough knowledge and experience to offer much help. I often like to sketch the problem and brain storm from that. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Roger Nair

Dan, since I can only guess about the site and sighting conditions, this is a shot in the dark.  The level of precision is about  .02" per foot, good care must be used for establishing the initial reference line on the machine with some sort of temporary fixtures.  Stretch a string or piano wire across the gauges from the machine towards the tool room window.  Set an engineers transit over the line and sight back towards the machine and adjust the transit so it lines up with with the center line.  Rotate the scope in the vertical axis toward the outdoors through an open window.  Mark sightings near and far on the ground.  Turn transit horizontally 180 and repeat process.  Ideally sightings on the ground will coincide but if not true position is center between the marks at each near and far sighting.  Set transit over the far point and sight to near point and project into the first floor tool room.

I guess that you could use a vertical plane turret laser in a similar process, but I like transits better for purpose of adjustablity and cross checking.  Also I'm a builder not a surveyor or millwright.

Also bench marking the tool rooms could make cross checking an easier task in the future.
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

Dan_Shade

we use a theodolite now to get the upstairs reference, setting up in the middle and flipping to sight end to end to make sure it is parallel.

I'm trying to figure out an easy way to get an accurate line of site downstairs.

I read through that site you posted, Roger, very good info.

BTW, I grew up in Inwood :-)

Roger Nair

The simplest method is the most direct, if a small pluggable hole could bedrilled through the floor at each end of the tool room, a plumb bob can be dropped to the lower room.

Thank You Sponsors!