iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

electric mill question.

Started by twobears, June 22, 2019, 12:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twobears

with electric bandmills how is idleing the blade handled..electric clutch?? v belt with a idler?? another way??.. and in your opinion whats the best way to do it...thanks.

busenitzcww

On my LT 15 wide it's just a v-belt with an idler you can lock in or out. Sometimes I just shut off the motor with it engaged, and will fire the motor back up, and it doesn't really start that hard.

bandmiller2

TB, my home built band mill is electric a 15 hp Baldor three phase. I have a belt idler that is handy to use, after a cut I will disengage the belts and gig back. I feel this saves the motor start relay. Any motor large enough to run a mill draws some serious current starting. For short term such as gig back I think its cheaper to leave the motor running and use the belt or belts as a clutch. Loading or turning logs or cants shut the motor off mostly for safety reasons. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

twobears

thanks guys..i'am planning a big electric mill and was wondering how other people deal with idling the blade.i was leaning to belts with a idler but with wondering what other ways where used too.in one way I like the electric clutch but after years of working with all types of equipment i'am no fan of anything ran with wires and switches..so I think i'll plan on using belts and idlers...maybe with a air cylinder to operate it.

Pabene

You can start a three phase motor without the big current rush by a VFD. It will reduce the current rush so you can start and stop the mill motor without a clutch. That way you also can adjust the RPM (cutting speed) to fit the wood you cut, it is good to keep the blade sharpnes longer. A VFD givs also a good protection for your motor.

tmbrcruiser

I have a 50 hp electric on a Baker mill and use a VFD to produce three phase power. I do not idle or drop rpms between logs. Not having an electrical back ground maybe Luke from Baker can add to this thread.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

twobears

thanks for the replys..all I known about VFD'S is they make them..haha I need to read up on them and educate myself..three phase would be great on a mill but as you guys all known you can't get it just anywhere..my dads belsaw mill was ran with a 3 phase 50 horse and the electric bill was dirt cheap every month.we sawed 7 days a week and atleast 40 hours a week if not more and it was like $25 a month back in the 70's 80's and up to the mid 90's.the power company ran the power to his land for it for free..talk about lucky.i have three phase running by my land too but it's not ran right to my land but could be..he sold his land back in 1997 but the lines are still there I just checked because i'am thinking about buying it back.a family friend has it and he agreed to sell it back to me if I sell my land I have now..17 acres of flat gravelly ground.

bandmiller2

Electric power on a mill is worth a little extra effort and expense. It is virtually trouble free, you can hear everything going on and its sure easy to start when its cold not to mention cheaper to operate. Frank C.  
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

twobears

I should say that I want a way to idle the blade just incase the blade gets jammed in a log..other then that i'de just let it turn unless I had a slow few minutes while it was running..issue turning a log,
getting a log from the deck to the mill or something like that.

Thank You Sponsors!