iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 288 xp

Started by DHansen, September 03, 2022, 07:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHansen

What are the differences between the lite xp version and the standard xp?

DHansen

Looks like about 6 ounces lighter.

Spike60

Think it was just the elimination of that big spring up front and a perferated clutch drum.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

DHansen

Thanks for the information.  Enjoy the weekend.

DHansen

I have one 288xp and found this one owner 288 xp in Wisconsin on Saturday.  With owners and operating manual.  Chain is sharp, but well worn from use.  

DHansen

Have not attempted to start it yet.  Drained fuel and oil from it last night.  Need to inspect the drive sprocket.  Change the fuel filter and clean air filter.  Check it over close first.

Tom King

It still wasn't that "lite".   A fine beast though.

DHansen

Owners manual says 16.1 lbs without bar and chain.  Marketing to improve sales.  I'll just have to use it more so I get accustomed to the weight. Maybe it'll be good for me.

Guydreads

Sweet looking saw. Clean, well maintained, plastics aren't all broken up, no AM garbage exterior parts. Looks like a fine saw that will get you in shape lol

donbj

That's a nice looking saw! I have a couple that need some work. Have an eye out for more though.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Spike60

Wow, that really is in nice shape. In addition to what Guy pointed out, when you see a saw where the clutch cover decal barely has a nick in it, then it's really a low hour saw.

Larger pro saws in that kind of shape are the best finds. Certainly wasn't used in a commercial application. Typically, these saws were bought by someone that needed a bigger saw on an occasional basis and just didn't see many hours of use.

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

DHansen

Family farms. Connecting farm fields.  Dad and two brothers with farms all in the same valley. The dad owned the Husqvarna and the boys all had Stihl equipment.  So this saw sat a lot.  His son's did not see a need for it.  They heat all three farm houses with wood, so they had plenty of saws between them.

It does start and run nice.  Will need to do some cutting with it.  Have not cut anything with a chain saw in 5 weeks.  Between roofing and retaining walls my Summer has slipped away.

Guydreads, Don and Spike, Thanks for the nice comments on the saw.

Real1shepherd

Wow....sweet lookin', low-hr Husky!

Kevin

donbj

I like the low tops the most. One of my 288's is a high top and I like the look of the low tops more.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

barbender

Wow, that's a nice clean saw!👍
Too many irons in the fire

Real1shepherd

Quote from: donbj on September 06, 2022, 12:33:10 AM
I like the low tops the most. One of my 288's is a high top and I like the look of the low tops more.
Yeah....when the 394 first came out it was a low top. Then it morphed into a high-top. Like the monkey and the football thing.

I don't see what the big deal is for changing a filter out at lunch. I guess if you're bucking trashy, dirty rotten wood it's a 'thing'.

Kevin

Spike60

That "thing" was part visual too. That same low top filter was also used in the smaller 268/272 and even in the 262. So the larger automotive style filter became the answer for both the 394 and later 272's. Besides, you're in rare company checking the filter once a day at lunch time. Most of my guys would maybe do that say, once a year at Thanksgiving? :)

And NOBODY even thinks about fuel filters.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Fishnuts2

I live on the border of MN and Wisconsin, but I don't come across 288's like that.  Great score!

DHansen

I cross the border often.  Son lives in Wisconsin.  Lots of family in both states.  Cabin is west of Pine City.

Thank You Sponsors!