iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My friend

Started by Peter Drouin, April 23, 2013, 07:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I had a great horned owl years ago think my dark brown beard (yea, it used to me something other than grey) was a squirrel.  I heard the rush of wind first, then the owl tip back and pull its talons forward aiming right for my face. I dropped my bow and threw my arms up defensively. The owl banked at what seemed like inches away, and I could here its wings for what seemed like several seconds more as it beat it out of there. My bow took a major hit. on the way down it hit a big oak limb that sheared the sites and mount off as well as the stabilizer. Sheared the mounting bolts right off flush to the bow.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

It is always exciting to hear squirrels starting to chatter as a predator swoops through the woods.  You instantly look as the chattering gets closer to see if it is an owl or a hawk.  Sometimes it's not swooping because it will be a bobcat.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

My dad always told me that deer usually ignored downward movements but are instantly alerted to upward movements.  Usually everything downward bound in the forest is a natural movement. Birds landing, squirrels coming down, leaves and sticks falling and so on.

Anything going up is not natural, or some sort of an alert. Squirrels running up a tree, birds flushing, a deer's tail going up, things like that all spell something is not right. I guess that would still account for a raptor coming in as a natural occurrence to a whitetail.

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: rooster 58 on April 24, 2013, 01:31:15 PM
    Awesome pictures. One of the amazing things about owls is the way they fly so silently through the woods. When one streaks by my tree stand while I'm hunting it really spooks me :o

I had one snag a squirrel right behind the tree I was in this past winter. Never heard or saw him coming in, just a big crashing in the leave down below, and then that distinctive wump-wump-wump of his wings as he left with his breakfast. He couldn't have been more then 10 feet away.

petefrom bearswamp

Barred owl.
Call is "who cooks for you?
Who cooks for you all?"
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

loggah

The old time lumberjacks swore a owl hanging around a logging camp was bad luck !!!! lots of them would burn all kinds of crap,rubber in the wood stoves to try and drive them away!!!! ;D ;D I don't know of anyone around here that would shoot at them ,i did kick a barred owl once when i came home and it was sitting on a freshly killed chicken. it was a barred owl and let me walk right up to it,it didnt want to leave that chicken !!!! my wife and i never used to mind the chipmunks "UNTIL" last year when we put in a strawberry bed, them little buggers were running off with every ripe strawberry, i had to exterminate a few of them !! Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Magicman

Of course this is not an Owl, but a Red Tailed Hawk.  I have no idea what it had just caught, probably a mouse, but it let me walk within 5'.  It's eyes said that I was close enough and to back off.

I am not using the telephoto on the camera.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Briscoe Darling, Jr. (Andy Griffith Show) once said, "Well, sheriff, uh, I guess it's an owl's own business the way he flies but the important thing is that we saw the counter-omen."   :D :D :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

millwright

We have quite a few owls around here ( mostly great horned), they are very welcome, as they really get a lot of mice and red squirrels.

Dave Shepard

I hear the owls around here, they sound just like Pete's. :D I've never seen one.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

isawlogs

Those are really nice owls. Twice now I have seen a snowy owl, first time was tweenty years ago in a field in front of dads house and the second was last week when one flew across the road in front of me. That white flash gets ones attention right quick.  :D
  They are not commun here but will migrate down when food gets rare.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

rooster 58

When I was a kid of 13 or so I was hunting with an uncle and his friend. "Cats" shot a great horned owl that day. It was before raptors were protected and the concensus of the era was that raptors were hard on small game. I believe at one time there might have been a bounty on hawks, I can't remember.

Today we know that all wildlife suffers from habitat loss with new malls and housing plans. And the fact that farming practices are different today. Every foot of land is managed to produce inome and gone are the days where fields are fallow or the old hedgerow is left.

And it's great to see the hawks, owls, and the eagle around here ;)

sandhills

We moved to my parents farm when I was ten and there was a road cut through the treeline that lead to a dam in the pasture, anyway an owl (what I'd call a barn owl) lived in a tree along the road and I used to love taking friends hunting back there because he'd take off and scare all billy heck out of them.  He (it) was big and lived in that same tree for years, had a screech owl fly by one early morning while sitting in a tree stand, he screeched, talk about making your hair stand up  :o!

Jeff

Here is a forum topic on a friend of mine's encounter with Screech Owls that some of you may find interesting.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,37256.0.html

WmFritz

Yup... that is a good thread. Gorgeous pictures your friend got.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

SwampDonkey

I didn't open the link, but I'm thinking of the owls that took up residence in a wood duck box. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

clww

That was a terrific thread, Jeff! :) :) :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!